Home amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shuffle, Mar 1, 2006.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

Ok, right now i love to use my 'real' amps at home anyway, but i also have a vox 15r.

What im looking for is a tube amp, with low wattage, or something that i can crank for over drive, only one channel needed.

Would a 65 delux reverb be too much for home to get overdriven sounds? I wanna run it on high settings at random hours of the day, for neighbours purposes and my hearing i need a low watage amp.

Any recomendations? Cheers.

BTW i live in australia, so lots of the available options to you are not open to me :(

2. rooster

rooster Member

If you are handy with electronics, I'd strongly suggest a P1 or High-Octane kit from Doberman amps. A Deluxe is a barroom level amp; a P1 or High-Octane will give you what you need at a decent level at home at a price you can afford. I believe Chris ships to Australia, and if not, I'd imagine there are a few Aussie guys putting kits out to keep the prices affordable for your domestic purchase. He's at the AX84 site, and pretty much pioneered the recent DIY trend in tube amps. His kits are first-rate, or "fair dinkum," as I believe you'd say.

rooster.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Without getting too specific, I have 2 general recomendations. Find a low wattage combo with a built-in attenuator (Carr Mercury, Aiken Invader, etc.), or one with master volume. MV allows you to get overdriven sounds (mv low, volume high) at very low volume. There are many that fit the MV bill. AC

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Aiken Tomcat. 12 watts of handmade goodness. The cleans are lovely and the OD is great, as well. Also has a built in attenuator that works great. You can get "bedroom" level overdrive to fall in love with and use the amp at lower volume gigs too. Great amp.

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Depending on what type of music you play, a Fargen Bastage may be a good amp to try.

7. e-z

e-z Member

Unless your neighbors are deaf or you have some space a Deluxe Reverb is way too loud. You might look into the Savage Macht 6 but even that might be too loud if you crank it. Conversely you can use a dummy load and reamp your "real" amp getting the power section distorion you want at a neighbor-friendly volume.

8. shuffle

shuffle Member

Thanks everyone for your input! Is there anything else a bit cheaper?

I cant convince myself to spend soo much on a small amp, when for just a bit more i could buy a deluxe reverb :eek:

Cheers !

9. Claytone

Claytone Member

Try a Princeton, preferably an early tweed. Of course they're not cheap but they are great home amps. Cranked, overdriven bliss and a good investment too.

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've been having tons of fun at home and at low volume rehearsals lately with my Top Hat Club Royale. Really wonderful overdrive sounds using the master volume and running no effects. More Voxy than Fendery though.

11. billdurham

billdurham Member

Shuffle...you seem to hold a Deluxe Reverb in pretty high regard, and I can't argue with that because I own one as well...but having said that, its too loud and too clean for a bedroom amp. Without a pedal, it doesn't clip much at all. The AX84 recommendation was a good one, I have played through a Hi Octane amp built by Jamie Anderson and it really rocks...at low volume.

BD

12. shuffle

shuffle Member

Yes i do, its the amp right now that im 'longing to get' but just cant afford it. I bought an AC30 not so long ago, but i have wanted this amp long before the ac30. Not sure why i got that one first :)

I figure with the deluxe reverb, it wont clip at all at beroom volumes, and would need a pedal. I wanna stay away from a pedal right now which is why i wanted a smaller amp.

I guess i'll look into the AX84 page, i just don't have any amp building skills what so ever so im a bit put off this option. I'll check them all out though

Thanks everyone for your help.

13. redjet55

redjet55 Member

check out a cornford harlequin or carrera. Not terribly cheap but very nice and in the 6-10 watt range with a very good master.

14. sage97

sage97 Member

+ 1

I have the Harlequin but it's nowhere near cheap. I've always wanted to try one of James Peters amps.

A Zinky Blue Velvet also has a good master volume on it.

15. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

How about a silverface champ/vibro champ? Cheaper than a Deluxe and gets gritty when you crank it.