Home Audio based on Albums

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
My two CD players recently died. They are too cheap to repair. I want to replace them with a new and good quality system. But almost all of my large music collection is on CD, and whatever the technical medium, I expect I'll still continue to interact with albums (rather than singles or streaming services).

I'm thinking about getting this unit:
https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/marantz-m-cr611-melody-media-network-cd-receiver-with-airplay.html
... as it can do the streaming and MP3s, but also CDs.

Just wondering, has anyone else built their system on the basis of CDs, purchased albums, and lossless formats?

Brian Scherzer

Staff member
You are talking about almost every audiophile through the past few decades....until recently. All of us depended on physical media when we started building our systems. I still prefer to have the physical ownership of my music!

James824

You are talking about almost every audiophile through the past few decades....until recently. All of us depended on physical media when we started building our systems. I still prefer to have the physical ownership of my music!
agree as well. I love liner notes/booklets + artwork.

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, but I guess the reason I'm posting is that the electronics store seems to have home-theatre devices to connect with the TV, streaming and MP3 players, and cheap low-quality CD players. So I'm having trouble finding quality equipment to play albums on.

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
In the end, I've gone for a component based system. I started with the speakers that sounded best. They just brought an instant irrepressible smile to my face when we turned them up in the store and a felt the sound hit me the chest. My pre-teen daughter was with me, and she was genuinely amazed that sound can be that big. I told her that's why I love live music. It does that to us!

Then I bought a good quality amp, and a separate CD unit. All up, it blew my budget by a little, but I'm very pleased. I won't get it till Tuesday, but it's my Christmas present and I'm stoked.

dB

My two CD players recently died. They are too cheap to repair. I want to replace them with a new and good quality system. But almost all of my large music collection is on CD, and whatever the technical medium, I expect I'll still continue to interact with albums (rather than singles or streaming services).

I'm thinking about getting this unit:
https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/marantz-m-cr611-melody-media-network-cd-receiver-with-airplay.html
... as it can do the streaming and MP3s, but also CDs.

Just wondering, has anyone else built their system on the basis of CDs, purchased albums, and lossless formats?
Just google 'CD transport' and your head will spin with high end CD player options. I'm just getting into the hifi game, but have no intentions of getting a CD player. I have away 400+ discs last year when we moved, as I had not touched them in 8 years. With a good DAC, I'm fine with using my laptop and not having to store CDs. Record albums on the other hand are my only connection to truly analog music, so I'll continue to collect those.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Just google 'CD transport' and your head will spin with high end CD player options. I'm just getting into the hifi game, but have no intentions of getting a CD player. I have away 400+ discs last year when we moved, as I had not touched them in 8 years. With a good DAC, I'm fine with using my laptop and not having to store CDs. Record albums on the other hand are my only connection to truly analog music, so I'll continue to collect those.
I got a new Stereophile magazine yesterday, maybe the first (or second) one after my "Last Issue". :rolleyes: There were 2 cd players in there (I think they were players not just transports but I was half asleep). There was an mbl model for $15,000 and don't even remember the other brand but it was $10,000.

If you were so inclined, you could spend $100,000 on high end audio in a heartbeat.

Trending Topics