Home brew guitar - where to put bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by donnyjaguar, Sep 18, 2006.

1. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Greetings earthlings. I'm putting together a home built guitar and have a dilemma. The neck I'm using is everso slightly shorter on the fretborad than a standard USA Fender neck. Is there a foolproof way to make sure my bridge (which is a conventional Strat tremolo style) ends up in the right place? Given I have to route out a hole for it I only have one chance to get it right.

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks OTM. Now its not a Tele so I hope you're not jivin' me so I'll screw it up and there'll be one less Strat in the world. ;)

Speaking of Teles. I have an American Std Tele (1993) that I bought new. I noticed that my friends Fener Japanese Tele has more "twang" on the bridge pickup than mine. What's up with that?? His doesn't have the string-through-body like mine - is that what's going on? Mind you, he *thinks* there's a Seymour Duncan in there. Would that account for the extra twang? Mine has the split tone pot with the center detent so I can't think that's killing the twang as the capacitor is out of the circuit when you turn it up all the way.

Thoughts?

3. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

the game is on now... put a Seymour Duncan or custom made PU to blow away his of her twang... makes a dif

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

There's nothing so bad as being out-twung! :(

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Just a quick update. I was able to dismantle my bridge and turn it into a quasi hard-tail. Now I can use the screw holes that attached to the tone block and drill these into the guitar to get the right position. Once I do this I'll mark the 6 regular holes and router out the hole through the body thus removing the screw holes. :)

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

This is off the top of my head, haven't reached for the measuring tape yet: at least in theory I guess ALL strings should be longer than twice the nut-to-12th fret distance, since all of them are slightly stretched and hence "sharpened" by pressing them against the fret, the extra length compensating for that, no?

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Now if I can just get rid of the relative who is staying in my basement I might actually get this project finished. :(

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Wife's, mother's cousin. Who my wife invited to stay while he explored the country and other than 5 days on the east coast he's been in the basement going on 4 weeks. :( I have no idea why he decided to stay this long. Think socially awkward; think no drivers license; think talking about health woes; think verbal diahrea; think sheltered life; think not connecting on any levels. Now add to this the thickest Scottish brogue you can imagine and throw in a stutter to boot. :( I nearly forgot to mention the rather loose adherence to the rudiments of personal hygiene.

9. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Yep....you can choose your friends, but you're STUCK with your family.:BITCH

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

My wife just called with some good news. Our visitor finally took a shower! Just three more days and I get my basement back. I'm looking forward to not being woken up at 3AM from the loud subterranean belching. Woohoo! :)

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member