Home Built 2x12 Ext. Cab

Geeze

Nice looking cab Cap47! One of these days I need to try the V30. IF there ever was a gear hole for me to fall into it is speakers - probably heard but never seen again - as it is a dee.

UsableThought

Pine 3/4" and baffle is 1/2" Birch.
Hmm, yes, it looked like pine with the broad cross-section of grain.

I asked for 2 reasons: one, at some point I will try building a simple cab myself, so I'm always curious; and two, I've read here & there that pine is too soft for a cab & to stay away from it. I like working in it myself because it's so forgiving. And maybe the birch baffle is what matters more in this case - I like birch too, stiff yet fairly light.

If/when I do a cab I may go with birch plywood. In pine I wouldn't have the skill or tools to make nice dovetail joints. I probably won't be getting any tools for joints specifically, either - one of the problems I have w/ my little workshop is, the electronics tools don't go that well with woodworking tools - not enough space for both collections as they grow & the sawdust is a problem for the electronics.

Anyway nice-looking build!

Last edited:

TweeDLX

one of the problems I have w/ my little workshop is, the electronics tools don't go that well with woodworking tools - not enough space for both collections as they grow & the sawdust is a problem for the electronics.
I totally suck at woodworking and metal fab. A lack of proper tools contributes to that, and a lack of patience rounds it out. My cabs look like something from the Bizarro world. Sawdust and metal shavings tend to collect around the area where I work on amps. My cheesy vacuum can never get them all up. I have a big 2 car garage that serves as an art studio, rehearsal space, gear storage, and amp workshop. The place looks like a bomb went off in a music store...but I love being out there. :)

cap47

If you have a table saw that will allow the use of at least 1/2" wide dado cutter then you can make a jig to index the grooves. My shop is a 8'x10' shed with good overhead lighting and electric. I try not to let it get too cluttered. My tablesaw is on a fold down stand with wheels and the air compressor is mobile and kept under the carport. My belt sander and router table are easily moved. Shop vac is something I am toying with plumbing from outside so it doesn't take up space inside.

cap47

Another option is a $35-40 Finger Joint Template from Harbor Freight. If you have a router that works for those jigs.

cap47

This 2x12 is populated and mostly done. I may add a few details.

Cel. V30 16 ohm and Eminence Private Jack 16. Sounds sweet! Cab is 8 ohm parallel.

UsableThought

Sounds sweet! Cab is 8 ohm parallel.
Charlie, a couple of questions for you - this goes back to your earlier post on Looking for plans to build a 6G3 Cabinet -

1) Can I assume that the combo cab shown above, on top of the extension cab, is the 6G3 cab that you built? That's not strictly germane, just clarifying.

2) Echoing an earlier thought of mine - if you build the sides all in pine, as you have done with these, does the birch baffle (plus the tight joints) give you all the stiffness you might need? And assuming by "birch" you meant solid birch, could I assume that a birch plywood baffle would probably work as well for me?

The reason I ask is that I suddenly have a crazy idea - crazy only in that it's not strictly necessary. The only tube amp I have is a little Laney Cub 10 combo, only 10 watts. I put a lot of work (and I mean a lot) into modding it to get rid of both hum and buzz. It sounds very nice now with a modest speaker upgrade I did - the existing capacity is only 10" so I put a Jensen Mod 10-35 in there which I like. Problem is, the cab was too small to begin with; and as a result of the mods it now has a couple of extra circuit boards crowded into the bottom, with connecting cables. So on one or two resonant bass notes (e.g. a low A fretted on the bottom E string) I sometimes get vibration that is hard to get rid of with so little room to work in. A roomier cab might help if I could make it stiff enough. It would be a fun small project & a way to use what woodworking tools I do have. I'm also thinking that I could size it so that eventually when I have the money I can upgrade to a 12" speaker.

Last edited:

cap47

Charlie, a couple of questions for you - this goes back to your earlier post on Looking for plans to build a 6G3 Cabinet -

1) Can I assume that the combo cab shown above, on top of the extension cab, is the 6G3 cab that you built? That's not strictly germane, just clarifying.

2) Echoing an earlier thought of mine - if you build the sides all in pine, as you have done with these, does the birch baffle (plus the tight joints) give you all the stiffness you might need? And assuming by "birch" you meant solid birch, could I assume that a birch plywood baffle would probably work as well for me?

The reason I ask is that I suddenly have a crazy idea - crazy only in that it's not strictly necessary. The only tube amp I have is a little Laney Cub 10 combo, only 10 watts. I put a lot of work (and I mean a lot) into modding it to get rid of both hum and buzz. It sounds very nice now with a modest speaker upgrade I did - the existing capacity is only 10" so I put a Jensen Mod 10-35 in there which I like. Problem is, the cab was too small to begin with; and as a result of the mods it now has a couple of extra circuit boards crowded into the bottom, with connecting cables. So on one or two resonant bass notes (e.g. a low A fretted on the bottom E string) I sometimes get vibration that is hard to get rid of with so little room to work in. A roomier cab might help if I could make it stiff enough. It would be a fun small project & a way to use what woodworking tools I do have. I'm also thinking that I could size it so that eventually when I have the money I can upgrade to a 12" speaker.
The Combo Cab is for a 5E3 I am building. I haven't started the 6G3 and if/when I do it will be a Head Cabinet now that I have this nice 2x12.

The baffle board is 1/2" solid core birch ply.

The sound of the cabinet takes well to the differences of combos or heads used. I have been playing with my 1st built 5e3 and my Supersonic 60W combo plugged into it. The SS60 in it brings out the crisp treble and then when the 5e3 is used it is a more mellow sound. I would say that the circuit used determines what you get out of it! The SS60 has the Bassman Circuit and I did not yet try that but I will assume it will bring out the desired tones of that circuit.

The Baffle Board is a big board and seems plenty stiff enough to handle the vibrations with the cab. It is anchored by 10 studs all around the perimeter. Cab measures 11-1/4" x 21-1/2" x 32-1/2".

Trending Topics