“Home by the Sea”- Do you know what it’s about?

Blanket Jackson

Trash! Pick it up!
Gold Supporting Member
Not my favorite Genesis period by a long shot but that album was an enigma, having some amazing songs (such as this one and Silver Rainbow) along with the expected period dreck. I always loved this song mostly for the abundance of hooks (Banks, Rutherford and Collins did know how to put together a song). I'll admit that I never tried to figure out what it meant, so this explanation was a bit of a pleasant revelation. A rock and roll ghost story!

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I always loved the live In The Glow Of The Night / The Last Domino combo.

Thanks for posting that - back in the day I just didn't care for the Domino suite as well as the Home By The Sea suite, but it's time to listen to them again.

The Brazilian is also vastly underrated.

And that as well; I probably haven't listened to Invisible Touch all the way through since the early 1990s - I tend to stop with Abacab these days, only occasionally listening to the Genesis album.

Think you could probably also include Driving The Last Spike & Fading Lights ( and possibly Living Forever ) from We Can't Dance.
The first 2 most definitely hint back to their Prog roots. The latter is still quite "pop" but has a cool "prog-ish" keyboard solo for the last 2/3 minutes of the track.

I haven't listened to We Can't Dance all the way through since not long after it came out; I'll have to give it a try - particularly "Driving the Last Spike" and "Fading Lights".

Terry Hayes

Plus...he gets this bounce in his drum playing that I find awesome, you can easily hear it in his drumming on Easy Lover. Wow.

You can hear that same feel on "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven" as well. He really is a fine drummer.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
I love Collins-era Genesis unabashedly; Three Sides Live was a teenage touchstone for me. That said, I was sad to watch the interesting stuff get rarer, and the boring stuff get airplay. This song & Second Home were my favorites off this album by far, and the last Genesis songs I truly enjoyed.

billboy73

Thanks for posting that - back in the day I just didn't care for the Domino suite as well as the Home By The Sea suite, but it's time to listen to them again.

And that as well; I probably haven't listened to Invisible Touch all the way through since the early 1990s - I tend to stop with Abacab these days, only occasionally listening to the Genesis album.

I haven't listened to We Can't Dance all the way through since not long after it came out; I'll have to give it a try - particularly "Driving the Last Spike" and "Fading Lights".

I would also add Dreaming While You Sleep (We Cant Dance) and Tonight Tonight Tonight (Invisible Touch) for having proggy elements. Both really good tunes as well. I especially love the middle section of Tonight x 3 for the awesome atmosphere, and Phil's vocals are really good on that one.

Home By the Sea is one of the greats from the Phil era. The live version from The Way We Walk is freaking incredible. Love both eras of Genesis, but prefer Phil to Peter. Phil is a special talent for sure, incredible drummer, singer, and frontman. I don't love all of his solo stuff. Some is a little too poppy for me, but there is definitely some stuff I enjoy a lot too.

Last edited:

Reddog

Thanks for explaining the lyrics. Even though I have this song on my MP3 player that I use for working out, and have thus heard the song countless times, I must admit I never really took a look at them (revealing my rather idiosyncratic nature of music listening - I tend to be interested in song elements that don't necessarily include the lyrics). It all makes sense now...

mikebat

You can hear that same feel on "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven" as well. He really is a fine drummer.
Totally forgot about that song. Clapton too! The double flam on the snare as a hook is really good, it just propels the tune.

porcytree

Not a bad album in truth... i prefer it to Abacab and Genesis
One or two crappy ballad type things but pretty solid.

thewalkingboss

Silver Supporting Member
Also made me appreciate Phil Collins vocals a lot more. “Sit down...sit down...SIT DOOOOOWWNN!!!” Try singing this song convincingly, not an easy task.

I have tried. I gave up. If it was taken down a couple of keys I could do it, but it would not have the same effect. I have a pretty good range but there are a few singers I stay away from because of how high they can go with certain parts of songs that are otherwise within my range. Bob Seger is another one.

Tone chader

I saw both Genesis and Phil Collins live in the 90s. Both great shows, but PC has amazing talent. He is a fine piano player, as well as a great drummer, and his vocals are awesome.

3waytie4last

Mumbler
Platinum Supporting Member

When you think about it, The Last Domino is pretty much an exact replica of Turn It On Again. I'm sure when they were deciding to retire TIOA from the setlists they realized they needed to replace the energy that song brings live.

Last edited:

2pods

I wore out 3 copies of "Genesis Live". Phil really goes to town. A great drummer. Still my favourite Genesis album, but they should have put it out as a double album with the live "Supper's Ready" on the second disc

JukeBoxRat

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t particularly enjoy the cheesy stuff, but I don’t begrudge a musician for cashing in when possible. Would be stupid not to. Musicians, maybe more so than any other profession, need to strike while the iron’s hot.

We, as fans, like to romanticize the image of musicians, and use phrases like “selling out” as punishment for betraying said image. But while we all want to be cool, how many of us would truly turn down the opportunity to earn generational wealth, and attract an even bigger fan base, in exchange for being slightly less cool?

Sign me up. Make some Phil Collins money and then you can be free later to make your grunge opera project about mutant rabbits who save the world and critics will call it "eclectic" instead of rubbish.

Seriously though, I've always disliked the "sell out" stigma. If you can make money doing what you love to do, that's the ultimate win. Ideally, having the money frees you up to have the time to create and evolve your music.

tikabear

Silver Supporting Member
Long time Genesis Fan here. I like it all but for me they just started moving in a POP direction with And Then There Were Three. That said, I always found cuts with a nod or three towards their prog past on records past that point. I just skip over the stuff I can't tolerate.

porcytree

Great track, they had good stuff in all eras.

My favorite era was shortly after Peter left, but when Hackett was still in the band. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are my favorites.

Both great albums.
Those two along, with Selling England By The Pound & Duke, are the studio albums I listen to the most.

However, generally I stick to the live albums - in particular Suppers Ready, The Way We Walk ( The Longs ) & Live Over Europe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom