Home/DIY Chambering Through the Back?

Malcolm121459

I'm interested in your progress. I've thought about doing something similar.
I would be very concerned about neck dive. Maybe you can check the balance after each rout to evaluate how much weight reduction vs neck dive you get.
I dropped it off. He's doing it on his own.

Ya know, neck dive was never a concern because I can't imagine there is going to be enough weight removed from the body to cause that. My chambered Les Paul Deluxe is 7.3 pounds and it's fine. This guitar was 9.9 lbs so I'm hoping the end result will be about the same.

Having said that, I really don't know. We shall see.

B Money

Ya know, neck dive was never a concern because I can't imagine there is going to be enough weight removed from the body to cause that. My chambered Les Paul Deluxe is 7.3 pounds and it's fine. This guitar was 9.9 lbs so I'm hoping the end result will be about the same.

you know, Billy Gibbons has his guitars built with chambered necks. maybe you could try that next.
i dont know how they do it. i imagine the necks have channels routed next to the truss rod channel? LOL its crazy
ne

Urobouros

Supporting Member
I don't atm, just imagine a swiss cheese guitar's backside but the holes don't go all the way through to the top :D
I'm rather intrigued! What diameter are the holes? Are the edges of the holes are sanded? Otherwise that sounds uncomfortable.

G34RSLU7

I'm rather intrigued! What diameter are the holes? Are the edges of the holes are sanded? Otherwise that sounds uncomfortable.
you don't notice it at all when playing, but then again i'm slim so i don't have a belly pushing into the holes if that makes any sense.

the diameter is about 2 centimeter per hole or such (0.8 inch).

the edges aren't sanded afaik, there's not really an issue with flaking or anything, my old one was a MIM strat with an alder body i think and my current one is a charvel custom shop in carbonized mahogany.

Mattyc

Supporting Member
Deke Leonard famously chopped some windows in his Telecaster. Seems to still work alright?

Last edited:

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
Have you considered doing it yourself with hand tools rather than power tools? I'm thinking this might be a job for chisels and gouges.

Urobouros

Supporting Member
still, if you're wearing a shirt it shouldn't be uncomfortable, the holes are small enough that you don't notice they're there
Fair point. 0.8" is pretty small but my avatar is only facially accurate so not sure I could do it :cool: I'm also a woodworker so would have to put a new back on it simply on principal :p

G34RSLU7

Fair point. 0.8" is pretty small but my avatar is only facially accurate so not sure I could do it :cool: I'm also a woodworker so would have to put a new back on it simply on principal :p
the thought crossed my mind to cover the holes or something but in the end it's just a tool, not a coffee table (although the carbonized mahogany comes close LOL)

Dashface

I’ve often considered doing this to my 74 Tele that weighs as much as a car - just routing everything out under the guard would probably help...

But on an LP style guitar it’s gonna be a lot more drastic to make it look good after.

BraveHeart

I just bought this Welch guitar for $200. It’s a pretty cool guitar. Plays well and looks cool. However, it is way too heavy. Since I have so little into it and it’s not a valuable guitar, I was thinking of ways to weight relieve it. I’ve seen a diagram of the chambering areas Gibson does on Les Pauls, could I, theoretically, rout the body for those same areas but from the back? Could I then have a control plate/cover type thing made to cover those areas? Would that work?

View attachment 257094 View attachment 257095
never change a winning team...and how will you cover the routing???

BraveHeart

Please explain how it's not just body wood but from the back.

Yes it would be removing more wood but in the case below the routing is done from the face of the guitar and is covered with plastic. My idea is routing it from the back and using plastic to cover the rout. I don't see a difference other than one is from the front and the other is from the back

View attachment 257113

They do it with Strat tremolo cavities

View attachment 257114

"My idea is routing it from the back and using plastic to cover the rout."

1597996986967.png

Raymond Lin

9.9lbs? I thought by your description early on I was expecting like 11lbs or something. I mean 9.9lb isn't light but it's not unmanagable. That said, I'd like to see how it turns out, are you planning to polish the back and 3D print a cavity cover? Or perhaps make a wood veneer cover?

p.s my Gibson, Custom Shop no less, is 9.9lbs.

Malcolm121459

9.9lbs? I thought by your description early on I was expecting like 11lbs or something. I mean 9.9lb isn't light but it's not unmanagable. That said, I'd like to see how it turns out, are you planning to polish the back and 3D print a cavity cover? Or perhaps make a wood veneer cover?

p.s my Gibson, Custom Shop no less, is 9.9lbs.

I said roughly 9.9 because I didn’t have a scale to weigh the guitar by itself so I weighed myself holding the guitar and also not holding the guitar. It could be heavier. Let’s just say when I handed it to my guy he said “Wow! That’s a brute!” It felt HEAVY!!

Trending Topics