Home/DIY Chambering Through the Back?

Malcolm121459

never change a winning team...and how will you cover the routing???
It actually wasn't much of a winning team. The guitar was waaaaaay too heavy, and wasn't all that resonant. I couldn't see strapping it on for a show.

My original plan was for control cavity cover/pickguard-type material (I though a dark tortoisse might look cool) but my guy also suggested covering it with a back. I'm not exactly sure as of right now. Honestly, that is the least of my cares. I am just looking forward to the end result of the routing.

RikMart

My original plan was for control cavity cover/pickguard-type material (I though a dark tortoisse might look cool) but my guy also suggested covering it with a back. I'm not exactly sure as of right now. Honestly, that is the least of my cares. I am just looking forward to the end result of the routing.
I feel like covering the back with wood would make it look more complete than using a pick guard material but it would be interesting to see how the the guitar behaves/sounds with the pickguard back.

I like where this is going. Great job.

lefty kwan

I was thinking about routing straight through the back and then attaching a new back/ glued in like an acoustic guitar. You could in theory really hollow it out as much as you like. I’m not sure what the end results would be, sound wise or balance wise on a guitar strap but it would be interesting.

BraveHeart

I’ve often considered doing this to my 74 Tele that weighs as much as a car - just routing everything out under the guard would probably help...

But on an LP style guitar it’s gonna be a lot more drastic to make it look good after.
"just routing everything out under the guard would probably help... "

yes,right to kill the tone...

Malcolm121459

I was thinking about routing straight through the back and then attaching a new back/ glued in like an acoustic guitar. You could in theory really hollow it out as much as you like. I’m not sure what the end results would be, sound wise or balance wise on a guitar strap but it would be interesting.
The guy doing the work was an engineer by trade and he's designed the chambers for, in his words "maximum stability, tone and vibration",

Malcolm121459

"just routing everything out under the guard would probably help... "

yes,right to kill the tone...
Says who?

Strats with tremolos have A LOT of wood removed for the pick-ups, controls and vibrato assembly, and they are considered some of the most toneful designs ever made.

Dave Weir

Gold Supporting Member
use a router to skim the entire back up to the point the edge roundover is gone, hog it out to my heart's content and then fit a new back to seal it up, roundover and refinish. It'd be a lot of work but should be barely detectable once done. If I could find myself a suitably trashed old LP Deluxe husk Is definitely be up for trying that.
This is how I'd do it. Set the bit at 1/4" deep. Work from the outside so the router base is sitting on an area that will be chambered away. You only need to rout the parts that will not be chamber, and a little more. Then drill a hundred holes with a fostner bit, Then put a 1/4" cap on it.

I've done lots of things dumber than this. I think it would be fun.

Malcolm121459

Well he just called and left a message saying it's done. The cost? $64. Hahahahahahahaha. He is AWESOME! AMAZING work and low dollar prices.

I will follow up with a photo when I pick up the guitar tonight, probably after 6.

Declassified

Well he just called and left a message saying it's done. The cost? $64. Hahahahahahahaha. He is AWESOME! AMAZING work and low dollar prices.

I will follow up with a photo when I pick up the guitar tonight, probably after 6.
lol

its using a router is literally setting depth and then moving your hands of course its cheap. Your talk of gaining experience doing this mod and then dropping it off for someone else to do is a little puzzling, what exactly are you learning by letting someone else do the job?

and the way you've been taking since your OP makes it sound like you had your mind made up from the start, so why bother even asking us what we thought? especially when your responses seem to go some esoteric lessons in adventure and exploration... yet you hand the job off to an "engineer" to complete. To me it's the engineer that is doing the adventuring and exploration while are doing the defensive arguing. Its a complete asinine job to tackle for a 9 pound guitar.

If you were doing the work yourself I could it being a learning experience and worthy of doing, but paying someone else to do it? thats weak.

Malcolm121459

lol

its using a router is literally setting depth and then moving your hands of course its cheap. Your talk of gaining experience doing this mod and then dropping it off for someone else to do is a little puzzling, what exactly are you learning by letting someone else do the job?

and the way you've been taking since your OP makes it sound like you had your mind made up from the start, so why bother even asking us what we thought? especially when your responses seem to go some esoteric lessons in adventure and exploration... yet you hand the job off to an "engineer" to complete. To me it's the engineer that is doing the adventuring and exploration while are doing the defensive arguing. Its a complete asinine job to tackle for a 9 pound guitar.

If you were doing the work yourself I could it being a learning experience and worthy of doing, but paying someone else to do it? thats weak.
I wanted it done. I was questioning whether it could be done as the person I was going to ask to do it, isn't a guitar player.

When the option came for my buddy's Dad to do it, I JUMPED at it because it would be better than I would ever be able to do on my own.

The experience, and time spent with the friend I was originally going to do it with, was a bonus. I never really wanted to do it myself. I simply wanted it done and thought that would be the cheapest way.

And it was a 9.9lb guitar (aproximately)

Thanks for your input,

Malcolm121459

lol

Another thing, he used a custom template for the five chambers. He designed the routing template himself, using his engineering background, for maxium tone, resonance and stability. He also counter sunk the edges of the routs and made me traces of the routs so I can have covers made. For $64

Jayyj

Supporting Member
Sounds like the guy knows what he's doing! Looking forward to seeing how it's come out, I love projects like this.

Declassified

Another thing, he used a custom template for the five chambers. He designed the routing template himself, using his engineering background, for maxium tone, resonance and stability. He also counter sunk the edges of the routs and made me traces of the routs so I can have covers made. For $64
you don't need to justify anything to me, I assume he is a sound engineer then? im sure he used extensive formula's to achieve the exact locations for each route, he probably better than Leo fender at that aspect, you should be proud of his work.

Trending Topics