Home/DIY Chambering Through the Back?

Malcolm121459

Okay, here it is. I’ll post more on the details in a bit but I wanted everyone to be able to see it sooner than later.
he weighed the guitar before he started and he said it was 10 pounds. It is now 8 pounds.

Before he started the guitar was heavy and the tone was dense, kind of murky and dead sounding. The guitar now seems alive. It resonates much better. It sounds less congested and it’s airier. I could not be happier. This surpassed my expectations. 9F287DCD-12CF-49A6-8F27-8565DD80D95F.jpeg

johnsav

Okay, here it is. I’ll post more on the details in a bit but I wanted everyone to be able to see it sooner than later.
he weighed the guitar before he started and he said it was 10 pounds. It now is 8 pounds.

Before he started the guitar was heavy and the tone was dense, kind of murky and dead sounding. The guitar now seems alive. It resonates much better. It sounds less congested and it’s airier. I could not be happier. This surpassed my expectations. View attachment 267041
Wow, two pounds less! That is pretty significant.
I'm glad you tried this out and shared it here.
Hope we don't see you in the neck-dive thread!

Muttlyboy

Silver Supporting Member
You guys did a real nice professional looking job, and it came out MUCH better than an experiment that I once tried.
Also, you got more weight off if it.
And even better, it sounds good.
Great job

DCross

Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk
Silver Supporting Member
Holy crow. That looks great! What a great friend!
I really thought it was gonna come out like this:

1598702856852.jpeg

Malcolm121459

Clean work. Looks very good. better than I expected.

given the screw holes I assume it will have cavity covers on the back?
Yeah I think I’m going to use clear covers for the chambers to show off the work. I got the idea from guitars with a B bender. I love that you can see the mechanism inside. I wasn’t sure what the inside was going to look like and so I had considered even like painting it flat black or something but the wood looks great the way it is. And he shot it with two coats of clear enamel so it’s protected.

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
OP, thinking of doing this with my Orville. Can you shave down the whole back? Like the LP Custom Lite, where its a thinner body... What if you took a planer and shaved off 1/4"

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
Another approach, if you had the right type of saw, would be to cut a 1/4" or so layer off the back, route out the wood, and then glue the back on again. This would probably require a custom jig and a bunch of test runs with scrap wood, but the result would look far better than a big ol' piece of plastic.
Another interesting option. Do you know if anyone has done this?

Jayyj

Supporting Member
Seems like it would be easier to use a router\router sled... I wish I had my old wood shop, it was turned into condos :(
Taking the back off with a bandsaw sounds great but it's one of those ideas where the more I think about it the more problems I see. You'd need a large, professional level bandsaw that was perfectly set up with the right blade, a jig to support the guitar as you push it through and the idea of that much bandsaw blade fills me with terror even if I wasn't trying to push an entire finished guitar through it. The other issue is lacquer chipping, which may or may not be an issue but there's no way to test so you wouldn't know until you were past the point of no return.

If it were me I'd make a sled and use a router to take enough off the entire back to remove the roundover, then chamber to my heart's content and fit a new back over the top. Then refinish the sides and spray the whole back and sides. That seems like a great way of doing a really discreet job of it, and I'd love to do that at some point.

Having said that, the OP's take on it came out pretty fantastic.

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
Any ideas on how to do some chambering or lose some weight from the back with minimal tools? I dont have a wood shop, but would like to strip down the back of an Orville. Paying a luthier to do it would be more than the guitar is worth

Gclef

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I have tons of other guitars I just thought this might be cool to mod and try stuff out on. My friend is a carpenter and has a router, he could help me.

Thanks again
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."
- Spicoli

Trending Topics