Home improvements - the list....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Johnny Moondog, May 6, 2015.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Gotta get at it - list is growing ever longer - wife is getting impatient.

Got vents to replace, foundation cracks to seal, drywall to repair, gate to install...you get the idea.

Anyone else about to get cracking on a "to do" list ?

2. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Ours is so bad, we're thinking of moving. Not because we're slackers...we bought a foreclosure and put 100k into it in 3 years. It needs another 100k.

3. Mindcore

Mindcore Member

Just bought a new house, my list is so long the pen ran out of ink.

I can't wait to get going on it, but the pesky 1 year old keeps me a little busy.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Don't seal them....repair them. And do them first. The rest can wait.

5. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Any advice there ?

6. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

lol I love it...

I have 30 acres, older house always needing something updated or fixed. Have a 3000 sqft shop, shed, equipment, tractors, power equipment, ATV's etc.... 8 hours and 10 gallons of gas right now to mow the 6 acres of the 30 each week I keep groomed...There are multiple things constantly needing be done, fixing/repairing, I can close my eyes, swing around in a circle and where ever I open my eyes and point straight ahead to there is a project to work on....haha

However I love my property, working from home and living on a dead end no traffic and country living where I can have my 5000 watt four 8 foot tall speakers surrounding my play area...

Oh I can also play as many 4X12 stacks as I want on my outdoor stage and say efff you all!!

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

You don't mess with structural stuff...to begin with, get a licensed structural inspector to inspect & report, then follow his recommendations.

"Patch jobs" in structural support is never a good idea.

8. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Agreed, and especially if water or structural support is a part of the equation. Not to say you cant perform the work yourself if capable.

9. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I agree but foundation "cracks" aren't always a structural issue. We see them frequently in my mountainous area, some are an issue and some are not. Definitely have it checked out though.

10. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Four years and 80k of projects here. Not fun and the list is never-ending. This year the big one is a new front porch and railing.

11. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

We bought a foreclosure, but I'm too handy and capable for my own good. Especially considering the amount of hours I usually work doesn't normally allow for much project time.

You guys are making me feel better about my expenditures though. 9k on a new kitchen remodel that I took down to the frame and started with new electrical plot and plumbing/moving appliances around and recessing lights. New cabinets and granite. Tiled and laminate the entire first floor. Painted every room. New electrical outlets and light switches everywhere. New ceiling fans and light fixtures and a new fence with some facia replaced and the kids bathroom redone from the framework up.

All in all I'm probably in it for 20k of renovations, but comps are well above my "investment", if you wish to call it that. I still have a master bath to gut and the garage. Then it's exterior pillars, back deck and landscaping. Then we either sell to upgrade or enjoy the finished product. Probably sell and buy another project in a much nicer area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

We're getting ready to sell - the list is pretty big, but we're getting there.

Now that winter's over, the outside stuff is the main priority.

Then we get to move and start over on some pretty big reno projects...

13. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

every year my house costs me 10k. never fails. Pool repairs, tree removal, painting, carpet, furniture, landscaping etc.

14. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

We found some right before completing our basement renovations.

Managed to find a guy who seals the cracks perfectly with some sort of expanding foam and then seals the actual foundation itself with water-resistant tarp. Best description I can give.

The whole thing cost us a couple of grand which was QUITE low. They needed to wheel in a small excavator that dug a 6-foot trench for the entire affected area. It was a huge area that had never been done before. The cracks were massive and quite long but everything has been rock-solid since the repairs. We experienced tornado-like storms twice in a week right after all the work was done. The walls were open so we could see if a single drop would make it into our house. The amount of rain that had fallen that week was record-breaking, too.

Not. A. Drop. We were thrilled and figure that's as good a test as we'll ever see.

15. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Moved into a relatively new house last fall, built in 2002, in good shape, strong inspection at closing.

Since the spring broke I have done extensive tree trimming, we had a dangerous water oak removed that was about 10 feet from the house, cleaned gutters.

Subtropical so next is power washing the exterior. Then I will do little things on the interior.

After that just yard work and plan for next spring. Likely some painting on the trim.

I forgot, installed a bat house, no bats yet.

16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

My wife's idea of a good layout for a room lasts about as long the average TGP pedalboard.

17. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

:rotflmao

18. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

My front porch...
    [​IMG]

19. DrewH

DrewH Member

Not all foundation cracks require repair. On a percentage scale, very few do. Most cracks are attributed to normal settling of the house and will not cause issues down the road. An engineer can tell you whats what.

Blindly bonding a foundation crack with epoxy is not a good idea for reasons too numerous to list. Get a professional consult prior to even attempting anything like this, as you can sometimes create more issues than what you started with in the first place.

20. Icedstevo

Icedstevo Member

I have so many projects to finish it can get overwhelming sometimes.

We got our house as a foreclosure and it needed a lot of work. The basement was finished but it had gotten moldy so I demolished it to the studs and removed a drop ceiling. We remodeled the kitchen, replaced all doors, got floors refinished and remodeled the master bath.

At this moment i have the main bathroom in the house gutted and I am going to tile it and get a new vanity and tub. I built a shed last year but still need to do the finishing trim and make a door and ramp. the plumbing in the house is terrible and I want to replace most of it at some point. oh and we need new windows. Eventually i will refinish the basement.

I feel for you man:thud