Home Made Pedalboards, any step by step pics of the process???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm thinking about building a couple boards. I was hoping to see some step by step pics of the process if anyone has them.

2. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

This is a joke right? Do a search.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Not a joke. If I type in Pedalboards I get way to many results. I was hoping to see pics of the building process, not 20 pages of peoples boards covered in pedals.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

google search:

site:thegearpage.net homemade pedalboard

or something similar: diy pedalboard, pedalboard build...

Not trying to give you the "dude, use the search" response, but it is doubtful people will repost all the pics they have already posted after the pride of the honeymoon phase has past. Using that type of google search is much more powerful than the search function here.

5. tibbon

tibbon Member

I'd probably just end up making an aluminum one, similar to a Pedaltrain Pro. Just machine the parts, tig weld, paint, done.

6. JHVRay

JHVRay Member

:agree So much easier to search that way.

Plus there are some other sites that list step by step instructions on how to build pedalboards... I can't remember the site I used but it had stellar step-by-step instructions/pictures and I built a real solid board.

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Yea, I did the Google thing. I found a lot of boards, but what I found didn't really do it for me. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I was hoping to find a really nice looking, should I say semi - professional looking board.

8. losergeek

losergeek Member

Here's my homemade one. I don't have step by step pictures and I'm reasonably inexperienced when it comes to building things like this but it's pretty heavy duty and I think it'll last long. You could do it much cheaper than I did if you've got proper tools, but I was somewhat limited by my lack of workshop/tools so I tried to stick with precut stuff as much as possible.
    The materials were
    -2 pieces of 24"x12" craft plywood from Micheals
    -3 pieces of 2"x1"x48" pine from hardware store (rona here in canada) - 3 pieces doesn't give a lot of room for mistakes so you might need a 4th if you aren't strategic with the cuts
    -4 suitcase latches from rona
    -3' of heavy dutry velcro (again from rona where you can buy it by the foot and only buy the loop side without needing to waste a bunch of hook side)
    -Handle (I was going to buy a drawer pull handle but ended up using part of an old belt instead).

For both the top and bottom I just measure the 1" pieces to fit and then used glue, at least 4 or 5 finishing nails and 2 screws per segment. Might be a little overkill, but I definitely wanted it to be secure. When I was attaching the suitcase latches (2 front, 2 back) I was just careful to make sure that they were providing a little bit of resistance when closed since I wasn't using any other hinges or braces to keep the two pieces together when closed. I figured I might need to add some sort of alignment braces on the inside but so far it's holding nice and tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. losergeek

losergeek Member

Ha, now just noticing that you said 'semi professional' - I was going for the obviously DYI route instead. In my scene you get made fun of for using a pedalboard so if you're using one, it had better be homemade!

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

lol Good job never the less.

Yea, if I'm going to do it, I want it to look nice and tidy. Thanks for the OCD Mom!

11. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx, that's not far from the size I'm needing. It's just for a smaller secondary board. If I do it correctly and it turns out nice, I will probably do one for my bigger board too.

13. capt4inslow

capt4inslow Member

14. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Man, it sure is cold in Minneapolis! I never understand the "do a search" response - you don't know if that person has searched or not and if you are uninterested in the topic and done with chatting about it then don't enter into the question posted. New people join everyday and people are at different places at different times on their musical journeys. There may be 100 other people out there that would be interested in discussing the topic that had not even though about doing a search because they were just browsing for interesting gear related topics and didn't want to go searching. Also, if the topic was discussed a year ago maybe somebody has taken those ideas and moved them a step forward and therefore there is new discussions to be had. Bottom line is there is no harm in people posting and asking questions to generate discussions they are interested in on a forum designed for just that. If your not interested move on.

Reminds me of the "what time is it - buy a watch" or "how do I get to Main St. - Hey, buy a map buddy" sort of response - maybe funny to a close friend but rude to anyone else.

15. capt4inslow

capt4inslow Member

damn mine's not even close to semi-pro

16. kbshakedown

kbshakedown Member

If you have an Ikea near you, buy one of these for $5: GORM shelf

Paint it, add some velcro, add some feet if you want. Cheapest pedalboard. Google gorm pedalboard for tons of examples of people doing this. Some of them look really good.

17. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

This isn't step by step, but this is my DIY with some shots to show how it was put together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JosephSky

JosephSky Member

I have built three pedal boards so far in my time. The first one was for a High School graduation project (No picture)

The second one seen below was inspired by the Trailer Trash boards. Really sweet to look at, but a pain to carry around (Weighed over 85lbs loaded up). I got tired of moving it around and sold it. I will probably be getting a pedaltrain for my next electric board.

We called it the "Death Star"

[​IMG]

This little board is my acoustic guitar board. I gig more as a solo singer/songwriter these days so this one gets more use. Its your basic sheet of ply with a velcro top, aluminum sides,rubber feet, and metal handles. I quite like this board.

[​IMG]

19. rambler

rambler Member

heres one i posted in the show me your homemade pedelboard thread ... kinda step by step...

20. JosephSky

JosephSky Member

Awesome board there Rambler!