Home modeling setup advice needed

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dimi3, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dimi3

dimi3 Member

Hi all,

I would like to ask all modeling gurus to help me out a little...Recently I sold my expensive tube amp, because I don't play as much as I used to, and I can't really crank it at home anymore.

Now I'm looking for something cool and at least very decent sounding for home use only. I was waiting for NAMM if it brings new modeling combos but no luck :(.

I would prefer simple solution, since I sold mostly of my gear, except the guitars, and I don't want to start buying another complex rig.

For some time I was convinced that I want Mustang III, but all the fizz stories turned me off.

Next I was considering Roland cube 80XL, but the demos didn't really sound that convincing (youtube).

At last POD HD 500, I'm not sure if I can handle the complexity and tweaking, + I would need decent monitor for home playing, since never played guitar trough such unit directly to monitors I'm not sure if this is best solution for home setup.

So currently I'm puzzled between cube 80xl or POD hd 300, 400, 500 + monitors, does POD sound way better than cube? I'm looking for nice blues sounds, good crunch sound and some "entry" metal no extreme stuff.

I also eliminated 11r, and axefx stuff, because they are out of my price range currently.

Thanks for clearing my mind :)

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

1 vote for the POD HD500 with Studio monitors, perfect for home use.

3. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

If you want good tones without much tweaking, I think you should look at the zoom g3/5.

4. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

For home use, anything is fine.

The advantage of an amp is that it... feels like an amp.

The advantage of modelers is you can get lots of different sounds out of it and no micing involved when you play out. IF you aren't going to play out amps would probably be more "fun"...

5. DRS

DRS Member

I would go HD500 into a powered monitor. I use a Mackie TH12a. Inexpensive and OK for low and moderate volume even live. It sounds like an guitar amp speaker. Studio monitors are good too but you need a power amp. Plus this rig is not giggable. I had a Cube 30 and the HD500 is miles ahead. The only good sounds were the Roland Chorus and the Blackface. The HD500 has better BF tones. The big advantage to a Cube is it's grab and go and all in one. Plus those used Cube 80xs are available for $250 used. The HD500/TH12A is a $900 rig new.

6. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Really? No Eleven Rack? The prices are getting pretty low in the Emporium. I swear I saw one for less than $600-650, which means only a few bucks more than the HD500.

7. dimi3

dimi3 Member

Thanks for your thoughts, 11r is the most expensive so I was thinking something cheaper + USA prices are OK, but here in Europe are more expensive, ordering from US is not an option for that size of unit. I will check it anyway one more time.

I like the idea of HD500 + Mackie TH12a but its 400W is there anything smaller and still decent sounding for home use..I somehow thought I would need to invest 50:50 for pod and speaker?, I don't want to cheap on speaker too much..

So Cube is out :) I like it more because it "looks" like an amp, but better tone is more important to me.

8. richpjr

richpjr Member

What about an HD500 and studio monitors?

9. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

POD HD 500 and any Behringer Eurolive powered speaker. B208d or B210d would sound great and provide WAY enough power for very cheap, and unlike some other Behringer gear, their speakers are very good and very dependable. They don't break down on you. There are a few demos on youtube, you should check them out. You could even go as low as a 205 and be happy.

10. bkaster

bkaster Member

Mustang III fits the bill and as much hype as there is about the 'fizz' even if you get one with it, I really doubt it would interfere with your ability to enjoy the amp. If you're really concerned just pick one up at a store with a nice return policy but before completely discounting it you should swing by the local shop and try it out. The 'fizz' problem is way over-hyped and probably not as severe as the internet forums would have you believe.

11. bemeyer

bemeyer Member

Well I have the Cube 40XL. Sounds great especially if you don't push the tone controls too high. I run mine all under ~10 o'clock and am very happy.

I also got the Voodoo Switch and now have total control over the amp. Plus, if I ever decide to upgrade to the 80XL it'll work with it.

Give one a shot in person as they're versatile all in one solution.:dude

12. DRS

DRS Member

The TH12 is rated at 400w but it is really 200w with 400w peak. It is not that powerful a unit.

13. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i've never tried it, but how about s-gear on your computer and monitors? it's dirt cheap and supposed to sound great, especially if you never need to take it out and gig.

14. richpjr

richpjr Member

I downloaded the demo and this is how I played with it: on my iMac through my HS80M monitors - sounded fantastic!

15. geoangus

geoangus Member

Your situation is similar to what I went through a year ago. I was torn between the 11R and the HD500. I chose to go the HD route, timing the purchase with a GC coupon for $100 off. I also found a QSC K12 here on the emporium and have a pretty nice home setup.

Yes there is tweaking, but if you keep it simple, it is not too difficult. Just dial in a good amp tone, and add effects for flavor.

I'm still intrigued with the DT50 rig, which conceptually appears to be fantastic, but that is probably overkill for the home player. If I get back into a steadier routine with my old bandmates, then maybe that will be the time. Or if I can move my Tophat Club Royale.

Good luck.

16. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I hate HATE HATE menus. I owned a PODxt Live and used it for performance and hated to deep dive in menus just to adjust the drive level of the modeled overdrive effect.
    But I now own the POD HD desktop bean...but on the premise that I would use it at my workstation exclusively (and backup for my occasional performances where I use a tube amp)...so I use the Line 6 HD Edit application. Lots of options but everything is operated via the User Interface using your computer, not deep diving into menus on a small LCD. Digital gear can be used by us with Menu Aversion Syndrome!...just make sure that you get a piece of gear with a good computer editor program.

17. dimi3

dimi3 Member

some really good suggestions here guys thank you, I think I’m more decided towards HD500 route now.

I'm still not sure what is the best application for amplifying it. powered speaker or powered studio monitors. Since I never played guitar to neither of this, I don’t know how they feel.

I also found some threads for Yamaha HS80M should be good for modelling, and if I buy 2 I could use it also for listening to music.

If I would go with eg. Mackie TH12a I would only buy one and use it exclusive for playing.

what would be better option for moderate volumes? is bass response similar on both? What compares better to real guitar amp?

thanks...

18. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Honestly, if your just looking for something to jam around at home for fun, check out one of the older Vox Valvetronix amps. I have an AD30VT that is perfect for just messing around, sounds good at ok volumes and can probably be found used for fifty bucks or less...:dunno

19. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

You definitely should check out the Behringer PA speakers. Cheaper than Mackie, just as good, and they sound absolutely great. Check them out on youtube, you'll be surprised.

this video is a 205 outdoors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oao70BvyTI

I'm sure it fits the bill already, but a 208 or 210 would be even better. They'll let the POD sound and feel as it's supposed to for almost no money.

20. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have been back and forth many times with digital and analog. I have a 3 year old who's room is right over my jam room. The only time I really get to play is the evenings after he's in bed. I have some great Adam A7 monitors, but usually use my AKG MKII headphones, I run my guitar into my Vox wah and out of that to a Line6 UX2. I have POD Farm 2, Scuffham and Overlouds TH2 on my Laptop. I can get away with using POD Farm and TH2 with no latency, and just a tad on the Scuffham. I actually prefer the TH2 software for tone, mainly because the cab sims in it are excellent with a lot of mic placement options etc. The delay and reverb and overall effects in it sound great too. BUT all three work just fine for jamming along to my favorite tunes. I can play as loud as I want this way. If you feel the need to stomp pedals on and off during your playing or in a song, then I would think about the HD500 for your budget. I had one before the last 2 updates and it sounded great. I also have had the 11R, but budget wise I couldn't hang onto it with the midi floor setup I was using, plus I hated being tethered to ProTools for the editor. Out of all the above I preferred the 11R for tone and feel....