Home player dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mojo Shinn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I used to own a bunch of guitars. I used to own a couple big, heavy amps. I used to lug all this stuff in and out of clubs at 2:30 in the morning.

Now I am happily a basement player with one awesome strat, and one awesome amp - a Swart Atom Jr. This little amp is not a whole lot bigger than a flippin toaster, but it sounds incredible. After stumbling and bumbling though all kinds of gear over the years, I've finally figured out that the best tone comes from a well-loved guitar through a non master volume amp played somewhere between 4 and 10 on the volume dial... (simple, huh? -- YMMV) This little swart lets me crank the amp up to around 6 and play at "loud" but comfortable levels, and just believe me when I say it is spectacular. SO WHY DO I WANT TO GO AND MESS THIS UP? I am seriously considering upgrading to the Swart AST (20w).

I have A/B'ed the two side by side, and feel the main difference in the sound seems to be more related to the fact that the AST is Class AB and the Atom Jr. is a single ended design . . . AB circuit yields a somewhat smoother tone IMO. The other factor is the 12" speaker of the AST vs. the 8" speaker of the Atom Jr. But honestly, until the volume of the Jr. gets up to around 7 or 7.5, that speaker does just fine-- admittedly, the little 8" cone starts to give it up a little after that.

I have also tried the STR - admittedly an in-between of the two. . . It's larger speaker simply amplified the shortcomings of the single ended sound for me . . . for that reason, it didn't really wow me . . .

I am appealing to TGP to either talk some sense to me, or push me over the edge . . .LOL

2. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

If it'was me, I'd dump the 8" and get the 12" before 5 P.M. today. :)

The size of tone.

Probably why I can't own the Marshall Class5. I've bought it two or three times now, and just can't get over that tiny 10" speaker.

Glad to hear you are so attached to your small amount of equipment though. That is great, IMO.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

how about nice beefy 1x12 extension cab? you'd have your self a really kickass toaster stack.

4. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I was thinking about that . . . The only issue to overcome is the 4ohm output . . . It's just a bit harder to find 12" speakers at 4 ohm. I wonder if Michael Swart would entertain the idea selling me just a speaker cabinet (so it matches) . . . otherwise, maybe I'll go check out the Avatar website (?? !!)

The wheels are turning now.

Thanks bro

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

4 ohm - really? wow that's odd. hm. is the internal speaker 8 ohm by chance? if so is it possible that they mean an extension cab needs to be 8 and the two together are 4? in which case you could also disconnect the internal speaker and drive any 8 ohm cab.