Home Recording bass, for a guitarist

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by CoreyW, Mar 26, 2019.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

This is pretty brilliant. I just got one today. I've been using the SansAmp Programmable DI for many years in front of a SS Ampeg SVT amp. I like the sound of that a lot for EQ and adding a bit of gain, but the DP-3X excels at adding the kind of dirt you'd expect if you wanted to run a distorted guitar amp and a clean bass amp in parallel. Doug Pinnick's own sound is a thick wall of distortion, compression with very clearly defined lows, and this nails it.

2. I R P

I R P Member

Since you are a guitar player, you might already have something that would work, such as a boost pedal, tube driver, etc.

I agree that software solutions are not gratifying.

I'd check out the Mesa Subway and the Two Notes Le Bass.

For a less expensive option, MXR M81 (or M80 for distortion).

For an even less expensive option, TC Spark Booster.

Also, in those higher price points, you can look at solid state/class D amp heads with direct outs. That way you could hook up a cab some day if you want, but you could also just use it as a DI.

CoreyW likes this.
  3. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

I’m also a guitarist that records bass in my project studio. I’m on a tight budget so I mainly buy used.
    When it comes to recording bass, I’ve had good results simply by using an active bass (Ibanez BTB670) thru an AMT Chameleon cab emulator.
    Lately I’ve been using an old Ashly SC-40 preamp into the AMT, or a Line 6 Bass Pod Pro for it’s effects.

4. feet

feet Supporting Member

i have a fishman platinum pro eq that i poached from my acoustic guitar rig that serves as the heart of my "bass amp" for recording. i also have an old tube overdrive that i use to add some tube-y ampeg-y bounce and warmth. some opto comp from the fishman to go with the eq and then into my mic preamps, which can add some console-style grit if need be.

i use all that in conjunction with the softube eden plug in, which i think is pretty neat.

5. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Have you tried using one of your guitar amps into the Two Notes with a bass cab IR? I do it like that all the time. Sounds great.

Usually something like P-Bass>Dr. Z Carmen Ghia>Suhr Reactive Load (your Two Notes)>Redwirez SVT IR.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  6. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

This is very sensible and sound advice.

In practical terms, I recommend the Phil Jones Big Head Pro, a headphone amplifier/digital audio interface/DI that sounds really good if you need to get a bass signal into a DAW either through an analog input or straight through digital.

tonk likes this.
  7. Roadbull695

Roadbull695 Member

I would consider amplitude or bias fx. They have some great bass models and of course all the guitar amps that won’t be wasted on you since you’re a guitar player.

Assuming you have a decent audio interface just plug directly into that. No need for a DI box. Simple, easy and cost effective.

And honestly if you can’t get great bass tones with one of those packages then it probably something else in your chain. Of course the software still does require tweaking and work to find what you are looking for just like any amp or effect but the tones are in ther to be found IMO.

Lastly if you really want your bass to shine you’ll likely need to process the signal after recording with the usual stuff like eq and compression, but that’s a whole different conversation.

8. ifshnee

ifshnee Member

Interestingly enough it seems the search for getting a good recorded E Bass sound has missed IMHO the first step. The instrument itself. Been playin E Bass since 63. Most Basses I play from stores to other folks either come new or have never been properly set up. There R so many decent playing but poorly set up Basses out there. Lets assume the action and strings R ok then look at mabee the bridge. A poor contact area bridge has a lot less sustain. Stock or cheap Pick ups just don't sound very good (except really expensive ones) and the pickup height is not best for all strings. Of course the right hand can make big difference. So if the bridge sucks and the pickups suck and the pickups adjustments suck then no matter how nice a D.I. or preamp - all U can do is suck louder. Just thinking out loud!

9. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

In lieu of an Avalon u5, I use an Ampeg Scr-DI. It gets me a good enough for my ears svt sound in a box. I owned an axe fx ii for a few years and while it had the best bass sounds I've ever made, this is about 90% there at a small fraction of the price, size, and weight.

10. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What DAW do you have?

11. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

Pro Tools and Logic, I go back and forth between them. I have tried the ampeg simulators in both but I can’t seem to get my signal down enough that when I start trying to use the gain in the sim it keeps clipping really bad

12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I found this Sound on Sound article by Geoff Smith very helpful. Bass Guitar Recording In Logic Pro X. I took what Mr Smith noted and tweaked a bit. If you stick to his schematic - it will sound great - but for me I needed a little more gritty/grind to the sound - so I overloaded a Mic Pre a bit and the bass just punched right through.

CoreyW likes this.
  13. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

Thanks for the article I bookmarked it, the big issue, is I really just don't know what I am doing. I have tried several methods that have not achieved desirable results, so I am not afraid to experiment.

14. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

I have a Mesa TC-50, JTM45 and a Fender Bassbreaker 15.

15. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

Thanks for the advice. I am still fairly new to all of this so I am very open to what others have to say.

Here is a "Remix" I did for the Produce like a pro remix comp a couple months back.
    I did the drums (SD3), Bass, most of the guitars, I used a couple of provided tracks in the chorus.

This is my first "full" project I have done, and I know there is still some mud on the bottom, and no mastering.

I have tried to shape my guitar in a way to avoid competing at the low end.

evanjackson likes this.
  16. CoreyW

CoreyW Member

Ya, I have a pretty good collection of pedals. I do have a Peavey T Maxx head, I could probably see if I can go direct with it and if it has a way to turn off the power amp so it doesn't need a load.

No, I haven't. I have always been under the impression that the bass could mess up a guitar amp... either something I read or something I was told years back so I kinda discounted this.

I will be the first to admit the strong possibility of user error. I have the base package of Amplitube 4 I don't know what I am doing wrong with it but I have to drop my input gain almost to inaudible levels with my volumes in the software very low or the clip light stays lit.

I am running a Focusrite Clarett 8preX, so I should be able to do this with this equipment, I don't have the same issues running into the plug in based amp sims, but somehow I do with the Amplitube.

17. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

Bass will mess up a guitar CAB. But I think you could safely go into any amp and then use your BASS ir for a cab and gets something killer. Also check out Darkglass- their stuff is amazing

The Opera Panther likes this.
  18. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Exactly. Don’t run a bass through your guitar speaker cab, but using the amp to record bass with using a load and IRs is totally fine (and sounds great!).

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  19. offmyrocker

offmyrocker Member

I run a darkglass vintage delux, using both direct and parallel outs into apogee duet, working out pretty well for me.

20. feet

feet Supporting Member

wanted to track something very quickly and didn't feel like dismantling everything, so as a silly experiment, i went through the guitar rig i was recording through. and it sounded awesome. same pedals and settings and everything. i even switched over to the gain channel for some funsies and that was really cool. totally finger/pick controllable gain on tap. i didn't bother to eq the amp for bass but it would have helped a lot, i'm sure. i did end up using that eden bass amp plug in after the fact and that did help.

i should note that i was tracking without a cab using a load box, so no threat of explosions here, that i know of. not sure i'd be willing to try that into a cab. i also tried wall of sound and briefly ran through a few cabs and that sounded cool and all, but i ended up preferring the sound without it. was a little less tubby and more punchy/direct. that eden plug has cab emulation anyway, so that may have been the issue.

but yeah, if you have a load box, plug your bass into whatever amp is around and see what happens.