Home recording equipment - don't know where to start

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hucklebee, Jul 14, 2006.

1. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

Title says it all. The last time I used recording equipment was my Tascam MK 4 track.

I have access to a studio that has more heavy-duty stuff. What I am looking for is a simple set-up that would accomplish two major things:

1) Put down ideas and build on them over time. Maybe a rhythm track then a melody, etc.

2) Have access to backing tracks for practice purposes. For example, have a 12 bar blues progression that I can practice lead runs over.

I am a Mac user and was thinking of a computer interface.

So my questions:

1) What do you recommend?

2) Does anyone offer any good backing tracks for practice purposes?

3) If I went the digital route, do I need software enhancements (drum tracks, etc.)?

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

Howdy!

If you are a Mac user then I would strongly recommend using Garage Band. It is a very simple and will get you started recording and using midi. It is easy to use and learn on.

I use 3 things for recording and using/creating backing tracks. Garageband, Protools/mbox 2, and Band in a Box.

I would check into these. Protools would be the heavier solution of the 3 and comes with a steeper learning curve.

If you wanted to learn more about Protools I highly recommend classes offered by Berkleemusic.com.

Peace,
    Mike

3. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

I recommend you go to this site to get a good overview of your options:

http://tweakheadz.com/

This site is a great resource for someone just getting into home recording.
    Have Fun!

4. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

Thanks guys for the input so far. I haven't checked out protools yet. That sounds interesting. That tweak website looks like just the right place to start.

On with the learning process!

5. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

The tweakhead site is great. That is what got me started actually. I still use it as a resource.

Garageband would be pretty perfect for just creating backing tracks for practice. You don't need a lot of expensive gear for that.

Mike

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

If you are new to DAWs, then I second GarageBand as a great way to get your feet wet for little money. When you reach the limitations of GarageBand, then you can decide which way to move up. For me, it was Logic Express, so I could continue the work I started with GarageBand. Logic can load GarageBand songs directly, so you can simply open them with Logic and continue working on them there.

GarageBand and Logic both have a lot of good usable drum loops, and kits for you to create your own drum tracks with, plus a ton of other instruments you can access with an inexpensive midi controller like the KeyStation 49e, for example. You will need an interface of some sort for mic and guitar input.

If you are leaning towards GarageBand, I'd suggest going to the Apple Discussions GarageBand forums and look for a guy named HangTime for many answers. He has created an FAQ page that covers most any question.

7. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

I was just about to ask the same question. I have a Boss 1180, some drum loops and I just ordered a Vox Tonelab. I have plenty of real gear, but I want to have aset up in my office that I can produce good guitar sounds and write songs easily without having to purchase a lot of gear. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

What would you recommend for a PC? Instead of Garage Band.

9. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Cubase is pretty great, although more expensive.
    I have 32 tracks of it on my PC, but somehow always find myself doing pre-production on my trusty tascam 244. It' just more fun :)

Good luck - jv

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

+1 on starting with GarageBand and moving up to Logic Express.

11. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

Garage Band, yes, yes! Get some good live drum samples like Drums on Demand. Get the Jam Pack and an M Audio firewire interface and you are good to go. A tube compressor adds a little gravy.