Home recording question....what audio interface?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Rev2S, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I have no experience in home recording but would like to get into it. I am looking for a decent audio interface around $150 for recording demo songs and to put down ideas for new songs. I was looking at the Lexicon Lambda, E-MU 0404, and M-Audio MobilePre. I am mainly looking to record guitar, piano, and bass tracks and probably use drum loops since I don't think drums will record very well over one of these devices. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

1. What OS are you running?
    2. How many tracks do you see yourself recording simultaneously?
    3. Do you need MIDI to run an external keyboard controller?

3. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    -I am running Windows XP.
    -I plan on recording one track at a time.
    -I plan on using MIDI in the future for an external keyboard.

Thanks for your help!

4. tripp2k

tripp2k International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Same boat here. I have a work in progress where I have some functioning basics I recently put together. I'm using a Line 6 Toneport UX2, m-audio Axiom 49 keyboard and currently using the Ableton Live Lite that came with the keyboard (no saving allowed). I also got some m-audio BX5a monitors. I'm running all this on Windows XP.

It works. I have been able to lay down a drum, rythymn/lead guitar, key and vocal track that got the "hey this is cool but sounds pretty bad" response out of me. I can't save it to share so you would get an idea of what 'first pass' is by someone who doesn't have a clue how a recording studio works.

I'm impressed and anxious to do more. I like the flexibility the Line 6 interface/amps/effects/vocal pre-amps/bass happiness gives me and may invest a bit more there when I have some traction. The gear above seems to be recognized well within Ableton which might cause me to stick with it. My only beef on Ableton is the DJ/trance dance groove it has around it. I want to record, not pimp a pair of turntables.

5. StevieRayFan

StevieRayFan Member

I am new at computer based recording, I started with a demo version of Cubase (LE) with the Line 6 Toneport AX2. I like the Toneport alot, it has loads of different models, very versatile. I recently upgraded to Cubase Studio Case. Very easy to learn as far as recording goes, still havn't mastered the VST stuff yet so I can't comment one way or the other.

6. copernicus

copernicus Member

I have the EMU 0404 USB version and it works well enough for me. Use it for MIDI and recording two tracks at once.

7. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

I use the audio card sometimes for an input but I have various mixers and plenty of toys. I just like it that way for the playback sound while recording. I did buy one of the little behringer usb interfaces for a measley $29.xx and it's surprisingly quiet. I just didn't get around to routing the playback back into the mix but you can record two inputs with it. Use one for right and then double it into the left channel. Then do the same with the left. Instant two input.

8. meterman

meterman Member

I replaced my stock Turtle Beach soundcard with an M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard and am running Cubase SE on an XP machine. Pretty good results so far once I got the IRQ conflict (with my ethernet card, causing clicks and pops) resolved...the Delta 44 is nice b/c it has a breakout box with four 1/4" inputs and outputs, I plug my mixing board to the 'ins' and my KRK powered monitors or headphones to the 'outs'

Good luck, there's lots to learn!! I'm new to this myself but bitten by the bug big time :)