Home Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by dougeds, Sep 15, 2018.

1. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Check out Tekton. Great reviews and very reasonably priced. I have a couple of different models and they both perform better than others costing much more. As mentioned above, the Canadian companies like PSB and Paradigm are nice speakers with great value but they've become pricey in the last several years. I have the Paradigm Signature S6, but it's not made anymore. There is a Paradigm Signature S4 available in the Bay Area but at $2500 it's a little too expensive. Here is the Tekton link: https://www.tektondesign.com/

2. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Gold Supporting Member

I've been very happy with KEF speakers. I use the Q100's for my office with a sub, and they are very clear with great stereo imaging.

I've picked up some KEF LS50 speakers as a secondary set in the studio to complement the Focal SM9s I have, and they are impressive.

3. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

You may be able to find used Vandersteen 2ci or similar version for $500. Check Audiogon.

4. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Member

I occasionally see used Revel Ultima Studio speakers (the original, not the Studio 2) listed in the $3,500 to $4,000 range. If the speakers are in good shape, that's a great deal. Bass goes all the way down to 20 Hz.

I've owned a pair for about 10 years and love 'em!

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Got a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6s for half price (open box sale)....great speakers for my needs and that price was SWEET !

Moby Dick and edgewound like this.
  6. stumphead

stumphead Member

ohm 4 off of ebay - trust me
    omni-directional kill normal speakers

[​IMG]

Moby Dick likes this.
  7. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

[​IMG]

8. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

I have repaired many of those. They look better than they sound.

9. stumphead

stumphead Member

then you had them hooked to the wrong amp - for the money they are killer
    but if we want to play hardball we could move up to this:

http://hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

and yes I have heard all the good brands from quad electrostatic to klipsh to revel to elac to mbl to you name it - hundreds of systems

10. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Then you know there are excellent speakers that are dynamic, dipole, planar or whatever type.

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

I like that the amps and active crossovers are analog, keep the DAC external.

12. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

I've got Vienna Acoustic floor speakers that I'm very happy with.

13. fretnoise

fretnoise Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

dunno why I really dig the "british" sound of UK-made loudspeakers & . . . not to take anything away from US manufacturers . . .

monitor audio is my brand of choice but just about any of them can sound terrific ex. Wharfdale, KEF, Mission, B&W et al

they just speak to me(ears):console

15. CheckSix

Interestingly, last weekend over at the local audio store, this article by Steve and his SOTY recommendation of the Klipsch Ref Premier 600M came up. They happen to have the RP-6000F floorstanding version there, so we hooked them up to a Peachtree Nova 300 and a Sonus Connect using Tidal. I listened to various types of music. Also right next to the Klipsch were Paradigm Persona 3F for comparison.

The treble was unlistenable for me. I could not listen past it. They also did not image hardly at all. The 3F's were then hooked up and I re-played the same tracks, just to verify that the Nova 300 and source were not the problem.

I have no idea why Steve would make these speakers SOTY. Seriously.

16. johntoste

johntoste Member

Much as I respect Steve Guttenberg, he may be losing some of his high frequency hearing. We all do with time. Also, there is a segment of the audiophile community who value macro dynamics over sonic attributes such as sound staging, detail resolution, truth of timbre, etc. Hence the popularity of companies such as Klipsch, Tannoy, Avantgarde, Zu, and others that move a lot of air.

Years ago I met a fellow who was well known in the audio world. He had large vintage German movie theater speakers in his capacious NYC apartment. They sounded impressive, if you like solo violin to appear ten feet wide.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  17. CheckSix

Yeah, me being in the other camp by owning electrostatics, when imaging isn't happening, it's a big red flag to me. When stereo recordings are done, panning is used to position various instruments or vocals. Speakers should accurately reproduce this.

I have a very good friend, who works in the audio industry as a designer/engineer and he knows Steve. We were at AXPONA '18 for 3 days this past April and on the 1st day we saw Steve in a main hallway there. My friend went to say "Hi" to him, while I laid back. After returning, my friend said... "that's odd, I got the sense he didn't remember me". I did not meet him but he looks to me, to be a bit of an odd duck but I could be wrong.

I'll be going to AXPONA '19 in April.... anyone else? There are always some new products to see and hear and some good sound too. I also end up buying some LP's there, AP and MD have booths and there are some indy used record guys there too.

18. fretnoise

fretnoise Member

He did not review the floor standers but the 600Ms, and you did not hear the 600Ms. Just saying...

19. CheckSix

Yes, you are correct. They are not the same.... except.... they use the same tweeter and same 6.5" mid-woofer. Different box. Completely unrelated. :rolleyes: