Home Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by dougeds, Sep 15, 2018.

1. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

A buddy has some Tannoy speakers running from an NAD. They are smaller speakers, though floor standing, but they don't do much for me. He doesn't run a sub...so maybe they need one but given the amp he's running I didn't think they were anything great. He later bought a pair of ELAC bookshelf speakers to go with them and I thought they were much better speakers.
    He bought his about 10 years ago...this audio stuff is so subjective. I hope you enjoy yours....I'm going to probably buy some new floor speakers this year.

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, Tannoy bookshelf speakers sold ten years ago aren't very good. They were making good studio monitors but their consumer stuff wasn't very good and was made in China I believe. The company sold and with the Legacy series they returned to their roots and their high end consumer speakers are made in Scotland. I'm sure that my Cheviots with a 12" driver sound nothing like your friend's bookshelf speakers.

Mine are just breaking in but it's already obvious that nothing moves air like a 12" driver (well a 15" does and that's in the new Tannoy Arden).

British audio has a certain vibe and I seem to be drawn to it. I also like KEF, Rega turntables, etc.

jnovac1 likes this.
  4. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

Those Tannoys are fantastic. I hope to own a pair of their dual concentrics some day. The studio I used to work in had big, 15 inch Tannoy dual concentrics.

Either Tannoys or Altec dual concentrics would be nice...Both very well regarded, so not many bargains, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I’m running 12 inch drivers, too, with a decent size baffle. Are those Tannoys alnico?

5. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

subscribed for updates.

6. sfarnell

The originals were but not the new Legacy series. I believe the super high end Tannoys still use Alnico in the pepperpot drivers. The Legacy series uses the Tulip waveguide driver, the same as in the Prestige series up through the Kensingtons. Here is what the brochure says about the new Legacy series:

"Modern Ferite design with copper demodulation rings and high flux magnetic circuit give much better value and performance than the original 1970’s Alnico design."

johntoste and Jackie Treehorn like this.
  7. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Just a quick PSA...

A few days ago, I spent 2 hours listening to a wide variety of music on the Focal Aria 936's. They were being driven by an Anthem STR integrated ($4,499.00 msrp) and the source was NAS stored lossless PCM and DSD digital music files, converted to analog from the STR's excellent internal DAC. The UI was Roon from an iPad.

The 936's have a very smooth mid and treble with outstanding detail. Easy to listen to for hours. Vocals were reproduced with a superb naturalness. Imaging and sound staging was excellent and precise. The big surprise was how good the bass was. They not only went reasonably low (39Hz +/- 3 dB) but the bass had extra tonality and texture information, missing on the comparison floorstanding Paradigm Premier 800f's, which I also reviewed.

The 936's outperform at their price point ($3995/pr msrp). These Aria 936's are VERY good loudspeakers, very refined, no obvious warts! They do require a great source and very good amplification, to take full advantage of what they can do. System synergy is important.

I do not own these and have no financial interest or ties to Focal or any company in their distribution chain.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Klipsch Forte III. From the Klipsch Heritage Series. I've got a pair of Forte 1's that are 30 years old. They're here to stay. Is is live or is it Klipsch?

sfarnell, bullfrogblues and gkinder like this.
  9. gkinder

gkinder Member

Have a new pair of Klipsch’s Cornwall II’s running off a Parasound Halo Integrated amp...incredible sounding at any volume level. Klipsch Heritage series are an excellent choice if you have the room for large flooring standing speakers...couldn’t find anything that could stand toe to toe with Cornwall’s. Have had the tall skinny towers that needed subs to sound full and never going back that direction. Sometimes old school still rules :)

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. auratnik

auratnik Member

I love my 27 years old JAMO, still rocking hard.

11. sfarnell

Love the Cornwalls. Love the Forte IIIs even more.

Steeltoe, gkinder and jnovac1 like this.
  12. sfarnell

Love this speaker. The updates on the Forte IIIs really make a difference in the fatiguing quality of the older horn speakers. No fatigue at all with the new Forte.

I like these old style big speakers from the '70s. Love the Tannoys too.

Steeltoe, gkinder and jnovac1 like this.
  13. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

whatever works! i’ve had many classic klipsch, and enjoyed them all. magnepan and thiels. very different approaches, and they all bring the MUSIC!

14. gkinder

gkinder Member

Liked the Forte’s as well but our room needed a speaker that didn’t have a rear firing driver...Cornwall’s were the perfect choice for our application...in another room layout we may have gone with Forte’s...both excellent

Steeltoe likes this.