Home stereo system

P90s

After a gazillion years, my beloved Carver pre-amp and amp are on their last legs for my home audio system. I'm looking for an integrated amp, hoping to spend under $1,000. I've read about Cambridge Audio, Peachtree, Marantz & Onkyo. Does anyone have any opinions?
Thanks,
P90s

mixwiz

Not meaning to be flip but if you really like the Carver stuff, why don't you get it fixed? Probably be way less that 1K.

Lance

You can get some great stuff on eBay these days. I see SAE 100W amps & pres all day long for around $200.00 each. Do not get SAE 2! That was when they went off shore, and the quality went waaay down. I have about four SAE amps with two of them having major mileage, and are about to crap out. The 2200's & 2201's are built like tanks.

I like SS sound. Around 15 years ago, I wanted up "upgrade" my stereo to a highly revered unit- and scored myself a Sansui 9090DB. I really hated that thing. It was too soft around the edges, too round. I eventually got another, more "modern" unit- but that was missing 'something.' A few months ago, I was doing some work for an acquaintance- he paid my by giving me his old Pioneer 838. I have to say I really like that thing. I don't know if it's something like a generation after the 9090DB, or if it was just more cared for or aged better- but it's cleaner sounding, musical, but not overtly "colored" or round.

And it's got pretty blue and green lights. :D

I'm now on a mission to find one of the high powered, later 70s models. Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz...

billyguitar

Something to remember is that class A 20 years ago, except for CD players, would probably still carry a very high rating. That's the case for having a tuneup on the old gear.

mrmuzikhead

that Rega Brio R looks cool. ND also has a good selection of phono pre's if you need one. Most of these amps have no phono stage.

Sam Sherry

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The audiophile version of TGP is http://www.audiogon.com. Blazing classifieds.

A lot of audiophile guys treat hi-end gear like toothbrushes: "Use and dispose . . ."

+ + +

I'm running a Bryston B60 into Vandersteen Model Ones. No, it's not up-to-the-minute . . . sure does deliver a lovely sound-stage, though.

Rockledge

I think the best sound came from the old Marantz recievers.
Give me a 35 watt a channel Marantz over anything by anyone else.
Also, they hold up a LONG time, the fact you don't need to look all that hard to find one is testimony to that.

Schroedinger

I think the best sound came from the old Marantz recievers.
Give me a 35 watt a channel Marantz over anything by anyone else.
Also, they hold up a LONG time, the fact you don't need to look all that hard to find one is testimony to that.
I have a 2215B in my workshop with some homebrew speakers. That little 15 watt receiver is still the best sounding rig I own.

My opinion on HiFi is: for digital source material, today's machines are the best ever made. My Playstation 3 is a much better sounding source than the much more expensive Parasound CD player that I sold, fan noise aside. Same goes for loudspeakers. But amplification- until you get to the really high end stuff, today's amplifiers sound no better (and often worse) that the stuff made in the 70's.

chinaski

I like SS sound. Around 15 years ago, I wanted up "upgrade" my stereo to a highly revered unit- and scored myself a Sansui 9090DB. I really hated that thing. It was too soft around the edges, too round. I eventually got another, more "modern" unit- but that was missing 'something.' A few months ago, I was doing some work for an acquaintance- he paid my by giving me his old Pioneer 838. I have to say I really like that thing. I don't know if it's something like a generation after the 9090DB, or if it was just more cared for or aged better- but it's cleaner sounding, musical, but not overtly "colored" or round.

And it's got pretty blue and green lights. :D

I'm now on a mission to find one of the high powered, later 70s models. Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz...
a friend of mine has one of those high powered pioneer 70's things. sounds great and weighs a TON.
to the o.p.: i love the sound of good carver stuff too! i'll bet you'll be happier in the end if you have it serviced.

'58Bassman

After a gazillion years, my beloved Carver pre-amp and amp are on their last legs for my home audio system. I'm looking for an integrated amp, hoping to spend under $1,000. I've read about Cambridge Audio, Peachtree, Marantz & Onkyo. Does anyone have any opinions?
Thanks,
P90s
Why would a preamp be on its last legs? It's not as if it sees any of the effects of being rode hard and put away wet. Even a power amp shouldn't need much more than re-capping, setting the bias and possibly changing the emitter resistors if they show signs of excessive heat.

I would have it checked out and serviced. The preamp may need to have the controls & switches cleaned, bit that's about all.

Trending Topics