Home stereo system

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by P90s, Jan 23, 2012.

1. P90s

P90s Member

After a gazillion years, my beloved Carver pre-amp and amp are on their last legs for my home audio system. I'm looking for an integrated amp, hoping to spend under $1,000. I've read about Cambridge Audio, Peachtree, Marantz & Onkyo. Does anyone have any opinions?
    Thanks,
    P90s

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Not meaning to be flip but if you really like the Carver stuff, why don't you get it fixed? Probably be way less that 1K.

3. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Have you checked out the new home audio forum run by Brian? It's just getting off the ground but I'm sure they should be able to help.

www.theaudioforums.com

4. Lance

Lance Member

You can get some great stuff on eBay these days. I see SAE 100W amps & pres all day long for around $200.00 each. Do not get SAE 2! That was when they went off shore, and the quality went waaay down. I have about four SAE amps with two of them having major mileage, and are about to crap out. The 2200's & 2201's are built like tanks.

5. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

+1000.

Get it fixed. It's worth it. The planet will be glad too.

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I like SS sound. Around 15 years ago, I wanted up "upgrade" my stereo to a highly revered unit- and scored myself a Sansui 9090DB. I really hated that thing. It was too soft around the edges, too round. I eventually got another, more "modern" unit- but that was missing 'something.' A few months ago, I was doing some work for an acquaintance- he paid my by giving me his old Pioneer 838. I have to say I really like that thing. I don't know if it's something like a generation after the 9090DB, or if it was just more cared for or aged better- but it's cleaner sounding, musical, but not overtly "colored" or round.

And it's got pretty blue and green lights. :D

[​IMG]

I'm now on a mission to find one of the high powered, later 70s models. Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz...

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Something to remember is that class A 20 years ago, except for CD players, would probably still carry a very high rating. That's the case for having a tuneup on the old gear.

8. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

9. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

that Rega Brio R looks cool. ND also has a good selection of phono pre's if you need one. Most of these amps have no phono stage.

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

The audiophile version of TGP is http://www.audiogon.com. Blazing classifieds.

A lot of audiophile guys treat hi-end gear like toothbrushes: "Use and dispose . . ."

+ + +

I'm running a Bryston B60 into Vandersteen Model Ones. No, it's not up-to-the-minute . . . sure does deliver a lovely sound-stage, though.

11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I think the best sound came from the old Marantz recievers.
    Give me a 35 watt a channel Marantz over anything by anyone else.
    Also, they hold up a LONG time, the fact you don't need to look all that hard to find one is testimony to that.

12. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

I have a 2215B in my workshop with some homebrew speakers. That little 15 watt receiver is still the best sounding rig I own.

My opinion on HiFi is: for digital source material, today's machines are the best ever made. My Playstation 3 is a much better sounding source than the much more expensive Parasound CD player that I sold, fan noise aside. Same goes for loudspeakers. But amplification- until you get to the really high end stuff, today's amplifiers sound no better (and often worse) that the stuff made in the 70's.

13. chinaski

chinaski Member

a friend of mine has one of those high powered pioneer 70's things. sounds great and weighs a TON.
    to the o.p.: i love the sound of good carver stuff too! i'll bet you'll be happier in the end if you have it serviced.

14. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Why would a preamp be on its last legs? It's not as if it sees any of the effects of being rode hard and put away wet. Even a power amp shouldn't need much more than re-capping, setting the bias and possibly changing the emitter resistors if they show signs of excessive heat.

I would have it checked out and serviced. The preamp may need to have the controls & switches cleaned, bit that's about all.

15. MR Haney

MR Haney Member

What has happened to The Audio Forums ? :confused: