Home Studio/ADAT users..Royer 121 results?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zekmoe, Jun 26, 2006.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Anyone with the home studio/adat setup having used a Royer 121 to get good guitar sounds care to speak up? I've been intrigued with this Mic for a while, yet always have trouble getting good guitar sounds on my older ADATs. I've had them for > 10 years, but never have been satisfied with the recorded guitar sound, even though I'm liking the sound in the room. A bevy of good amps, guitars, and not just me playing. Has anyone got some good guitar sounds with this mic and those recorders?
    Or should I ditch the recorders for something more up to date? It's only my home studio and they work fine besides being older. My only dislike is the guitar sounds I've been able to record.
    THanks.

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

What are you using for a pre amp into the adat?

3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have a few cheapo outboards, but I'm not sure they're any better than the ones in the board (Sondtracs Topaz 24). I have a ART Pro MPA and Dual MPA, a Joe Meek 6 or something like that. And another I can't recall. I have a variety of the same grade compressors, including a DBA 1046 and 1066, a Symetrix and Presonus. Nothing too great, but when I bought them years ago, they were supposed to be decent for the $$$.
    Everything always sounds thin and one dimentional.
    I don't have the same issue recording bass. I usually record 2 tracks, one direct and one miced. I have a Ampeg R-100, and usually mic it with an EV RE20. Make sure the phase is fine, and the bass is usually what I want. Drums as well. But the guitar sounds....eeek.

4. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

The Royer R-121 rocks. The single best piece of recording gear I've purchased. Put it in front of the amp, record it. Uncanny realism. I've tracked to ADAT XT-20s with it, and it's superb. Blackfaces are pretty harsh, but you're going to have this mic for the rest of your life... <g>

Pro MPA is fine, for a pre.

Loudboy

5. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

I agree with loudboy, I recently hired 2 royers for a days location recording, and could not belive how good they were.... pricy though, but if you record guitars often they are a great investment.

6. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

I have a 121 (which, incidentally, I use with the ART MPA pre) and think it sounds great. I typically use it more to mic acoustic guitars rather than electric because I'm lazy and like to go direct for many electric sounds, but I've mic'ed an amp with it a few times and was pleased with the results.

7. toomanyhoursx

toomanyhoursx Member

try it with an SM57. it rocks!

8. ricoh

ricoh Member

I use the same stuff as well for pres. I use the EH ribbon and got great results on guitars. I record to DA -38's and mix with a A&H System 8 or an Alesis 32. FWIW....if I am not getting the sound I want I try a different mic or move the mic around. Does the amp sound the way you want it too? Try a distant mic with a close one.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use a Royer 121 with a UA pre and a UA comp or a Distressor, great guitar mic.

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the royer R-121 really needs a good, high gain mic pre w/ switchable impedance to optimise the load for the ribbon. i'm not surprised U're not entirely happy w/ the sound and categorise it as sounding 'thin'.
    if U haven't purchased the R-121 yet and don't wanna spend the extra $$$ on a suitable pre (altho' the focusrite ISA428 does fit the bill and is four channels of reasonably priced, high quality mic pre), i think it's a way better fit for what U have to to buy the royer R122 which will work much better into the gear U already have.
    either one is a superb mic for guitar and U should be getting pretty decent tones.