Home Studio Furniture

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by therealting, Jun 23, 2004.

1. therealting

therealting Member

I am looking for home studio furniture that will help me organise my gear into a nice setup. Here is the equipment I would like to mount:

* studio monitors
    * LCD monitors
    * digital piano
    * computer keyboard and mouse
    * Tascam FW-1884
    * some rack gear

Does anyone have any recommendations? I like the look of the Quiklok WS-550, but it seems a bit pricey to me and I'd like to consider other options.

Thanks!
    Johann

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I went to GC a few weeks ago for some racks, and saw they had a terrific desk-type piece for $400 that had 10 rack spaces at desk level and another 12 or so at knee level. I think it would have enough room for all you mentioned.

I'm sure at that price the build quality is for sh*t, but if it can take the weight and looks OK for 5 - 10 years, who cares? They had a bunch of smaller pieces for less money that also looked adequate for the price, starting around $200. A whole lot cheaper than QuickLok or Raxess or whatever.

Definitely worth stopping in and taking a look.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you're in the UK... let me see if I can find out the brand so you can search it out.

3. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Have a look at WWW.STUDIOSPARES.CO.UK under stands

Bespoke Quik lok stuff is also available from Turnkey or Soho Soundhouse but I personaly use a KwikLok 3 tier keyboard stand and a computer desk from Argos as dedicated furniture is very expensive and I would rather spend the money on sound gear.

Remember the way you mount your recording kit and keyboards will not improve the sound quality.

A decent pair of speaker stands is a must though but don't go daft, mounting a pair of £250 speakers on expensive stands will not make them pro and it is better to invest in a good set of speakers in the first place.

Here's a pic of my set-up if it helps.
    [​IMG]

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

This stuff is incredibly strong, and well made, and the things I bought from them (workstation desk, rack, video monitor racks, various size carts for moving items around, etc.) have lasted for about ten years, so far. Still looks brand new:

http://www.anthro.com/_applications/ContentCreation.asp

In addition, I designed some custom furniture and made it with my brother, who at one time was a cabinet maker on the side. Some of the guys have seen it, it's wonderful looking.

If you know a good cabinet maker, rolling your own is a wonderful way to go for the many things that even configurable furniture won't do.

Another really great choice is this one:

http://taytrix.com/

Tay is a hell of a good tech, and she offers very professional custom racks and workstations. Once again, these are built for professional use, and everything I've bought from her from my studio has been extremely well made, including some floor boxes/cable assemblies.

Everyone's different, but I think investing in some heavy-duty, well-made stuff, instead of the melamine junk most stores offer, is completely worth it.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

+1

6. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I got this at ikea.... shelf on top is great for monitors $129. Just as much space and just as durable as some i've seen for over $500.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=25905&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*10389

7. felken

felken Member

I am building my own with heavy duty drawer slides to hold an Alesis QS8 under the main top and will mount a top tier for screen and monitors with 4 rack spaces below side to side. I have plans in pdf if anyone wants them, parts list included. No promises on your outcome if you use them.