Home theater/stereo system??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JMC, Feb 13, 2015.

1. JMC

JMC Member

So I have an older (10 years) small Bose stereo/surround system. Just the base module and two speakers, plus console for cd/dvd, etc.

One of the speakers is shorting out, so maybe time to upgrade.

The new Bose stuff - looks like there are no console systems unless you spend huge bucks. I'd like to be able to watch/listen to cds/dvd's when I want, plus stream or connect to my iPhone, iPad, etc.

What are you guys doing these days for home systems?

2. The Funk

The Funk Member

Marantz reciever from accessories4less.com. Speakers of your choice (I reccomend B&W, paradigm, or focal).

Kick the living crap out of anything Bose for a lot less.

3. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

4. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

The speakers must be matched to the room's size in order to provide realism. Doesn't mean you have to spend huge money, just something to remember. One of the best bargain speakers out there is the line by Pioneer, designed by Andrew Jones. He's the chief designer for TAD, which is Technical Audio Devices, Pioneer's pro audio group. They're inexpensive and sound really good. I have never been a fan of their speakers and I used to work for a high-volume Pioneer dealer, but these are good.

What will you use as your main sources?

5. gwr

gwr Member

I've been using an Onkyo receiver and after getting burned out listening and trying to decide what speakers as 58Bassman stated to fit the room I found a set of old DCM 5.1 speaker system( front,rear satellite,center and sub)for $50 at a yard sale and it sounds as good if not better than anything I listened to at best buy.These can be found on occasion on e-bay and highly recommended.

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I use a small mixer and studio monitors (Mackie).

Not cheap, but I like a really hifi sound for reproduction.

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Almost like asking "what guitar should I buy, what do you guys use"....give us some sort of budget you have in mind.

8. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Is it "just" the speaker.?
    Parts Express sells all kinds of driver replacements.
    Can you solder.?
    You might be able to salvage this for 40 bux.......
    good luck

9. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Have you looked into just getting your speaker fixed? "Shorting out" is an odd speaker problem. Intermittent (speaker cutting in and out) problems are usually due to wiring, not speaker failure. Speakers usually work or they have failed. Have you checked all your wiring and verified everything is OK? Good solid connections everywhere? Troubleshooting your problem and having a solid diagnosis is the first step to "how do I fix it".

If it's cost prohibitive, I would find a good local hi-fi shop and find some used stuff. Buying new costs a lot of money and stuff depreciates fast.

I would not buy new Bose. I like powered speakers, like pro audio guys use for home studio monitors. It depends on what you have and how much you want to spend to upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

I'd buy almost anything but Bose. A $500 combo system from a brand like Yamaha from a chain store would be better than a $2000 Bose system IMO.

11. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Yamaha receiver. Built strong. I have one under my outdoor BBQ powering my outdoor audio (8 speakers). Its been there 5 years. Not much rain here, but I live close to the beach with marine air all the time.

Speakers. Last year I added a pair of JBL L830 bookshelf speakers to my music room. Wow. JBL makes a center speaker and smaller surrounds for the rear. I might add a Velodyne Mini V this year. But the JBLs have a ton of deep bass, so maybe not. I'm using a Mini V in the family room/theater. For its size it is amazing and moves a lot of air when those special effects in movies kick in. BTW home theater speakers are in the ceiling by a custom installer. Sorry, they are not a mainstream brand and I don't recall the name. My wife reminds me the brand name was "too expensive what ever they are". Sounds great even to her ears thou.

12. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Bose = looks nice but doesn't sound fantastic.

An even more extreme version of this is Bang & Olufsen.

Used to work in audio. Our tech showed me the Bose tweeters were made of paper. People were coming all the time with buster Bose tweeters.

They're a brand that exists mainly to appeal to the eyes ; not the ears.

13. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I'm using Denon 7.1 Receiver with a combination of Boston Acoustics/Paradigm/Polk speakers for the 7.1.

For the outdoor channel, a 200 watt Crown power amp with a couple of JBL speakers on the deck.

But then again, it's not cheap.

14. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

IMO, the cornerstone of a surround system is the front center speaker. Get the best you can. (I have a JBL there.) next, a decent subwoofer, 10-12". Then front left and right. I have Bose 301's but I'm not a Bose fanboy, they just sounded better in the store. (for the money)
    Don't go nuts on the rear speakers, I was surprised how little information actually comes out of them. Mine are overkill.
    I like my Yamaha receiver, but there are lots of nice pieces. If I was to do it over, I'd get a killer 5.1 system over a medium 6.1 or 7.1. I have a 6.1 and I've never heard anything come out of the rear center. (except setup pink noise)

15. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

They're Bose- if they're the little cubes, I wouldn't bother. I think the Acoustimass sounds good for human voice, but it's not accurate for full-range audio. It doesn't sound accurate and it doesn't test as being accurate.

I spent well over $40 for the coils I used in the crossovers for the speakers I built, just for the woofers handling up to 250Hz and I have a wholesale account. The full price for my crossovers was close to $200 and I didn't go overboard on the caps, either.

Parts Express does have speaker kits, however. They also have people who can model a group of components and e-mail the data, using some very nice drivers. I used Peerless woofers and Vifa tweeters because I tend to like the sound of Danish-designed speakers.

16. 335guy

335guy Member

I bought some Polk towers from Newegg on sale. They were pretty cheap, look nice and sound fine to me. I have them hooked up to a Yamaha HT receiver that I got on sale as well. I use just these when listening to music, in stereo of course. But for watching movies, I'll turn on the Polk center channel speaker, the powered sub, and my two rear satellites, and man, what a listening experience. The Yamaha receiver is excellent. It has a ton of eq options, listening modes and other features. I can position, eq and balance each speaker separately. Very nice! And I only paid $200 for it when they were blowing it out on a sale and it powers all my speakers quite nicely. For the two Polk towers, a Polk center channel speaker and the Yamaha receiver, I paid less than $500. I already had two nice rear surrounds and the powered sub. It puts to shame any Bose setup.

17. spindlergallery

spindlergallery Supporting Member

I second the Andrew Jones designed pioneer speakers for the money. Audiophile freind... 25K in his sys. said to go with Jones stuff from pioneer for the money. I use them....

18. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Are you hip to audio stuff...should I just shoot you a PM.?
    My wife has a pair of Klipsch Chorus from 1985. They seem to sound fine...but I am wondering (just because of age) about doing a cap job on the crossovers.?
    Thanks

19. JMC

JMC Member

They're knock in reviews is just their size. Pretty good size foot print on the floor tower speakers, and the center channel is a hunk too.