Home Theater system/PA integration

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
Would it be appropriate to start a thread about my home theater plans in this forum?

I'm remodeling my basement, and one of my rooms will be a 12x24 'home theater.' This room used to be my studio, and it was (just) big enough for a couple guys to come over and jam or rehearse in. I actually had my PA set up inside my studio before the remodel, and we just played through it at low volumes.

Now that I'm converting it to a home theater room (with a <$1,000 5.1 surround system), I'm trying to figure out whether I can use this as a multipurpose room, for jamming AND for home theater. I'm trying to envision how the sound systems might work or overlap:
  • Run our instruments into the mixer, and running out the L and R RCAs to the receiver
  • Set up my PA in the same room (build a cubicle for each main in the front wall) and just run it as an entirely separate system from the home theater
  • Some kind of hybrid (mains from PA and sub from home theater system?)
Have any of you created a multipurpose room like this?

As far as the two sound systems, do you recommend I keep them separate, or could I use the home theater system for a small band with an electric, and acoustic, bass, and hand percussion.

Jonny Hotnuts

I wont say it cant be done but its going to be a compromise for both. A properly setup HT is not just 'put speakers here and there and call it a day'; it requires a significant amount of planing, design, soundproofing, sound treatments (bass traps, diffusers, absorbers).

When I started my HT I really thought I knew something but I didnt....I knew NOTHING!!!! I am about 75% through my build and pound it EVERY DAY to get done.

So you could add your band stuff...but it will compromise the theaters ability to be a theater AND it will compromise a practice room from being a practice room.

Here is mine in process:

14X30'
130" 2:35
2 rows: 3 in front 4 on riser
Full Dolby Atmos
Marantz 7011
12X 15" Ultimax subs and +10K watts
JVC DLA-x700r projector

It looks like a mess now but even a few weeks ago was unrecognizable.

GOod luck on your adventure!

~JH

Jdstrat

Gold Supporting Member
That looks flipping amazing! Yours is 20 times the project mine is going to be. I'd love to see pictures after you get it done.

Trending Topics