Home use amps - EDIT: the search is complete!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BintyTwanger77, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

It seems that to sound good, the Rectoverb 25 can only be played at a level which isn’t exactly sociable. I was naive in thinking as it had a 10W setting that I could use it at home, but I completely underestimated how loud it has to get for nice clean tones. It’s a really punchy amp, too punchy for the house anyway.

So my housemates don’t stove my head in with rusty TU3, can anyone recommend an amp with a lovely clean sound that I can use at reasonable home volumes (doesn’t have to be a whisper)? I suspect an AC15 or a used 65 PRRI may be the way to go (or even go back again to a DRRI), but I’m looking for a warm lovely clean sound for my Performer Tele and pedals.

Budget is at the very most £900, and I'm not interested in amp modellers.

Round the amp carousel we go again.... [​IMG]

fatbagg likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Find a video "15 amps for the price of one boutique amp" on Johan Sageborn youtube channel.

He shows off some smaller wattage options.

psyclist and BintyTwanger77 like this.
  3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The RV25 can easily get great cleans at acceptable volumes. Install a V30 if you want brighter. The only sound you cannot get at low volumes is the 25w Modern setting to ape a modern metal tone. Too much presence fizz bleeds through at low volumes like every other Dual Rectifier. I enjoyed the cleans a lot more with the brighter and more scooped V30 but the Fillmore sounded great loud IMO.

Emigre likes this.
  4. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

The RV25 has a master volume -- what happens when you turn it down ?

The PRRI, AC15, and DRRI do not have master volumes, so they are more difficult to set for low volume.
    The PRRI needs to be on 3.5 to sound good, but maybe you can turn the guitar volume down at that point.
    Do you have anywhere you can try one ?

CORRECTION: The AC15 does have a master.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  5. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Why don’t you get a power station 2 or a Suhr reactive load IR for the amp you already have?

6. 65inside

65inside Member

My advice would be: run away from tube amps.

7. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

:facepalm

8. fitz

fitz Member

I use my 65 RI as a house amp. Typically set on 4-5 volume. It is perfect for clean tones & can get louder and overdriven in a non-home setting. The stock Jensen which I like, lends to its lower volume use due to the efficiency of the speaker which is only 93.6 db. If that is too loud, may a Champion 600 would fit the bill. It is cheap and 5 watts. I dropped a Weber Signature Alnico 6" in there and use it as my bedroom amp with pretty good results. The downside is no reverb on the Champion.

9. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

The AC15 definitely has a master volume, next to the Tone Cut dial.

10. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

What would you suggest I run towards?

11. CATSCANMAN

CATSCANMAN Member

Suhr Badger 18 with power scaling is great to play at home.

DV52, Forever_Noob and Spirithunter like this.
  12. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Fryette PS-2 will be the best piece of gear you ever bought.

scmavl likes this.
  13. fatbagg

fatbagg Supporting Member

Why do you need low watts? A Diezel Herbert 180watt, an Xtc 101b 120 watt, and a Two Rock are 3 amps I had/have that have masters songood you could play at whisper volume and sound good. Ive got bunch of videos recorded with all of them that sound great but you can still hear my strings. Perhaps your search should be for amps with great masters?

LaXu, Bluesful, saltydogg and 6 others like this.
  14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

If you're playing that low volume at that point it's probably better to look into SS/modeling because you are not getting the real benefit of a tube amp playing super quiet IMO.

HTSMetal, spacebar, LaXu and 5 others like this.
  15. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

Again, it doesn't have to be super quiet, a whisper, I can turn it up to a reasonable volume. When you say the "real benefit" of a tube amp, do you mean break up? Because I really only play clean at home (sadly, again for housemates reasons). I would consider a SS like a JC40, but as per my OP I'm not taken with amp modellers.

16. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

That might the issue, and the RoV does have a gain and a master. I'll try some more tweaking with the dials tonight.... though believe me I've done a lot of tweaking with this amp already.:)

17. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I'm gonna agree with what a couple of folks have already said. Low volume home/apartment playing is not one of the strengths of tube amps. 95% of my home playing is through a Vox Adio or Yamaha THR10. If you want something with a bigger speaker that moves more air, look into a Boss Nextone.

Elric and DonaldDemon like this.
  18. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

By benefit I mean that choking down tube amps to very low volumes can kill the nuances that make tube amps great. It can lose the dynamic range, the fullness of sound, the interaction of compression and sag, note blossoming, etc. YMMV obviously with how low you have to play and what kind of amp you're playing. Have you tried any of the recent modelers? I was against them for a while too but they have come a long way and for low volume playing there is barely a difference IMO.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Rick CD

Rick CD Member

The OP is asking for something with a good clean sound he can use with pedals. Get a Twin or Super Reverb. These are perfect, sound great clean at low volume, better than any small little box or modeler. If the amp is just going to sit at home and he’s not looking really cook the thing, go large.

Bluesful, Nath@n, lumberjack1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Deewey78

Deewey78 Member

Hi,

For this I use a Ampeg GVT-15h. Very good at low volume clean, but also way brighter than the mesa boogie (I have both the ampeg and a mesa RV 25 combo).

MaxTwang, Page of Cups and Roccorobb like this.