Home use amps - EDIT: the search is complete!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BintyTwanger77, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Buy whatever tube amp u want and get a Suhr Reload IR. It’ll take the load of any tube amp, u can choose what cab and speaker to emulate, and most importantly it has a headphone out.

davidespinosa likes this.
  2. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

You could try to hunt down an Orange RV50 - the MKI and MKII have come down considerably in price.

They have great cleans, that can just be played at house friendly volume..... but the temptation to turn it up is great.......

The orange TH30 is similat and might even have nicer clean thanks the the EL84 power section. You would need a separate reverb though.

An attenuator like the jet city jettuanator makes home use much easier though- with any amp, by just shaving a few Db.

3. stephen78

stephen78 Member

I’ve said this a million times and I’ll say it again. PRRI plus pedals is the ultimate home amp rig. Swap the stock speaker for an Eminence GA-SC64 so it plays better with pedals and you’ll be all set for a pedal platform and excellent cleans.

I’m primarily a home player and this is what I use (although I’m using a Princeton clone - Vintage Sound 15 with a 12” Neo Creamback). Same concept though. I did have a PRRI with the Eminence in the past and it was just as good.

4. 65inside

65inside Member

I see I was already critized on this thread for my opinion but let me just say I have 3 tube amps that I play almost every day at home because I can play them LOUD!
    Squeezing a tube amp with a master volume or an attenuator doesn't work for me. I have a nice master on my 65 but it's not a bedroom amp. Once the volume gets don't to "bedroom" levels, it sounds like sh!t.
    When I need to play quietly I go for software or modeling (HX Stomp) cause I prefer using headphones in those situations and I can simulate the air being pushed and that's a big part of the "amp tone" thing.
    There's also a lot of SS amps that don't rely so much on volume to sound great.

5. 65inside

65inside Member

That's a great advice too.

6. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

On the latter point, a JC-40 is definitely on the list of possibles.

65inside likes this.
  7. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

Sounds like a very good idea, but outside my total budget.

8. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

If you get a waza tube amp expander you won’t have to compromise on what amp you want. I use mine with my hiwatt custom 50. It’s the only clean tone I like and I get any situation now

Plexi68 likes this.
  9. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

So you don't have that amp anymore? Because both of those are well below 900.

10. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

Again, that would be outside my budget, but like the idea.

I've just come back to the UK last Wed from Vancouver, I was over there for work (staying Downtown). Your city is beautiful, and the food is bliss. Japanese food at Samurai in Davie Village.... mouthwatering. Definitely going back (and taking in Seattle on the way).

11. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

No, sorry I wasn't clear, around £900 is what I would get for the amp after selling it.

BearBryan likes this.
  12. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

As already mentioned amps with great master volumes will get you what you want without compromising. I have a Friedman Small Box and a Bogner Shiva 20th and they both have stellar MV's that sound great at very low volume.
    If you want an amp that doesnt have a MV then a Fryette PS-2 will do the trick as well as many other functions.

13. 65inside

65inside Member

You must have been treated badly by someone today to be so rude!
    Good luck OP. I'm out.

14. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Does your current amp have an effects loop? For master volume amps that get their sound mainly from the preamp, I’ve found cutting the volume in the loop to be a good trick. Works for home volumes and louder, too.

Jerrod and jnovac1 like this.
  15. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

I've found that something like Helix is about the best bedroom option there is. You can get the sound of a cranked amp at any volume.

16. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Oh, ok.

17. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

or a tweed deluxe.

BearBryan and Rick CD like this.
  18. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

An amp that got a lot of love here a few years ago (and is available on the cheap now) is the Egnater Tweaker 15. My main amp is a Dr. Z M12, but I've owned the Tweaker for close to 10 years and still use it at home regularly. It's got a ton of tonal options, is cathode-biased, and will take any octal power tube - comes with 6V6s. Great cleans at a reasonable volume and takes pedals really well. I like the Fender tones better than the Vox tones, but its Vox impression isn't bad by any means. Also has an effects loop.

19. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I would love to try one of those 1/4 or 1/2 Watt little tube amps...It's been years since I've seen them...I don't even know who makes them.

20. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Lovely cleans at home with housemates. Get a simple circuit single-ended 6v6, 6L6, el84 with a "good" spkr, turn it up to only 2.5-4 and use your git vol/tone knobs. Have several amps that this works GREAT...and I use od, trem and reverb pedals

Silvertone 1301...octal 5c3 like champ with an original 6" rola
    Bogen PH 10...pp6v6 monoblock
    Bogen VP12...se6L6 with diy over-sized 1x12 cab with alnico
    Muchsx 57 champ clone....:) with an old jensen 6x9
    Newcomb 1612av...se el84 with the original small magnet 12" spkr.

Of course these can get mmuuuuch louder...however they really shine at low volume cleans.