• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

home use pedalboards...r u expanding or downsizing

home use pedalboard...

• I have a small board, I am expanding

• I have a small board, I am downsizing

• I have a huge board, I am expanding

• I have a huge board, I am downsizing

Results are only viewable after voting.
home use only as gigging rigs have more factors (weight...portability...looking like A douche with a HUGE pedalboard)

Are you expanding or downsizing...im talking about pedals on your pedalboard, not your entire collection

Empros

I made a board thats about the size of a PT-2 and I'm still working on filling it up. It has no case, so I'm thinking of downsizing for gigging. I don't like lugging around a big board with no case.

Tarmac

I've gone from 15 pedals to 11 in the past few weeks.

Got rid of an EQ pedal, phase 90, DL4 and noise supressor.

More room, less clutter, sounds better! ;)

I think around 10 pedals will be good for me. I totally understand why a lot of people only have 2 - 6 pedals.
It's not that they don't like big boards or can't more pedals, it's probably because they have better amps and get more tone seeking in their amps [which is more sensible really]. As for ambient players and shoegaze, then yeah big boards are required for loopers and a variety of reverbs and delays and odd effects.

Each is justifiable to each his/her needs.

mikkvoxNT

I've got a pedaltrain mini with the pedals that i like and others are lying around. I have 6 pedals so expanding isn't a problem for now...

I had a small board of 5-6 pedals and have downsized to... 4 but I have been trying to get back to 6-7 pedals (not bigger though) but I want to keep things that I actually use on the board. I really want to stick to the essentials, and I would say that:

1 wah
1 distortion
1 OD
1 fuzz-box
1 delay
2 modulation / reverb pedals

could cover most of the bases (that I care about, that is)

Mufftastic

I have no time to play out (job, kids, etc) so I just enjoy practicing and getting better. I notice a degree of snobbery about "at home" players vs. "gigging musicians" at TGP.

I use a PT nano to restrict myself. Fewer knobs to tweak and switches on which to stomp = more attention paid to my fingers and what's coming out of the speaker.

Also, I prefer a smaller palette of sounds.

Nothing wrong with a big board, with 10 loopers, just not my thing.

I notice a degree of snobbery about "at home" players vs. "gigging musicians" at TGP.
What do you mean?

If my thread hinted at any snobbery or anti-snobbery, it was unintentional...I wanted the thread limited to home use boards because other factors, like weight and portability are more important to many gigigng players than variety and various tones...home use boards arent affected as much by weight and portability

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
My home board will eventually be used for occasional gigs, so I am designing accordingly. I have the following:
Tuner
Wah
Fuzz
Boost/distortion
Delay

I plan to add another delay/reverb, OD and tremolo. That should cover the necessary bases and keep things under some semblance of control.

bt2513

Small board looking to stay small

... and by small I mean 7 pedals including tuner on a PT Jr.

Like someone said earlier, it forces me to pay a little more attention to what I'm playing and how it fits in the context of the group I play with (no gigs, just fun). We play almost all covers -- I think if we expanded our set I would pick up a Line6 Modeler or something.

I honestly find that I don't use but 3-4 pedals for 90% of the songs -- drive, maybe a boost, tuner, slapback delay. Everything else is p/u selector and vol/tone knob.

Rich_S

In the words of Professor Harold Hill, "I always think there's a band, kid." Which is to say, though my one-and-only pedalboard is, for all practical purposes for home use, it is designed and populated for gigging (no matter how dillusional those thoughts may be.)

However, I am same-sizing. My old board that I built in the '80s has only a limtied amount of space. Back then, I ran five pedals and a tuner. As my interests have expanded, I figured out how to squeeze two more pedals on there. Now, I want to add a compressor, but have to figure out which pedal it will replace.

Mufftastic

What do you mean?

If my thread hinted at any snobbery or anti-snobbery, it was unintentional...I wanted the thread limited to home use boards because other factors, like weight and portability are more important to many gigigng players than variety and various tones...home use boards arent affected as much by weight and portability

Semi-

My apologies, I wasn't referring to your thread at all. I just notice comments sometimes that are aimed at home players. No your thread was refreshing, actually. Sorry for the confusion.

My bedroom board is my gig board is my recording board.

I downsized from a SKB PS-45 27x15 to a homemade board a friend
gave me, 22x14

Swapped my Whammy 4 for a Pog mini, and let go of my Wah pedal.

I am much happier now. But I think i would like a PT-3.

Bakachan

Currently my "board" is just Midimate + Polytune + Timefactor, but I could see a bit of modulation coming soon... so small board expanding.

JP~)

I use the same board for both, although it's pretty static, I might switch out a drive pedal now and then but 7 pedals is all that fits including my tuner. However my amp has been downsizing considerably.....went from a half stack to a combo and now....

i recently got rid of 3 pedals... Mini Reverberator, Moog Phaser, Micro Pog. two weeks later im looking to get more...
Really want to pick up a whammy 5, vfe phaser, and a new dirt pedal (havent quite figure out what).

Semi-

My apologies, I wasn't referring to your thread at all. I just notice comments sometimes that are aimed at home players. No your thread was refreshing, actually. Sorry for the confusion.
I am much happier when I am refreshing as opposed to insulting LOL
:)

I eventually want to get my home set up down from 2 pros and a jr to one or maybe two pt-1's...and just swap out pedals for variety

I have volume pedal, tuner, AND wah on the boards, not to mentions true bypass switchers so they take up a LOT of real estate

Snottyboy

Downsizing has been the plan for a couple years. Just too lazy to change pedals as desired, so the huge board has stayed intact. Need to make a move on it.

Bleach265

Until very recently, I was home use/ the very occasional gig where space wasn't an issue. However, since being invited to join a jam band, and the horrifying experience of dragging my board 200+ miles to a gig (Manchester -> Isle of Wight, for anyone in the UK), I have decided to downsize considerably, while adding in a couple of pedals. Going from home made 28"x17" to a PT-1, eventually.

Trending Topics