Homebrew Pedals - Where Have You Been All My Life?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by p.snail, Feb 2, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

I just got a Homebrew electronics powerscreamer. I traded my Fulltone Fulldrive II and I am in absolute tonal nirvana. This is without a doubt the best sounding overdrive I have ever had. My buddy has the Analogman TS9 and the Keeley Baked and I personally think the powerscreamer eats 'em both for lunch. Has anyone tried the UFO? That is my next pedal I think. I need to see what my amp situation is going to be like first, but their will be more Homebrew pedals in my future. UFO, Big D, and Medicine Ball are now on my list. Now to find some cash.:)

2. doomy3

doomy3 Member

What sounds different from the powerscreamer to the Fulldrive 2 and the TS-9? Is one smoother, more aggressive, what?

3. ahab

ahab Member

I found that the powerscreamer is a bit more compressed, which I happen to like from an overdrive. If I want open grit I'll just goose my amp a little. This compression makes for a more singing type gain than what I have found from the fulltone stuff (Fulldrive or the OCD).
    Just my ears talking here...
    -Ahab

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The Power Screamer is just about the only the HBE pedal I don't have yet and still want (but we'll fix that problem this year!). I use the UFO, the Big D, the Germania and Medicine Bawl, and just got a Germacide but haven't deployed it on my board yet.

Every HBE pedal I have tried has been top notch in sound and quality, and Joel Weaver and his staff provide nothing but the best in customer service.

The UFO is killer, very versatile. The octave up effect is magnificent, especially if you feed the UFO with another fuzz or overdrive pedal too (makes it thick and rich).

The Medicine Bawl sounds like a great vintage Vox or Cry Baby, but without the tone suck and noise of vintage units. Internal trimmers let you find your own tone range.

The Big D? It's a JCM in a pedal. And with the adjustable diode settings, it can be five different JCMs!

5. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

The powerscreamer has more gain on tap than the Fulldrive and the Keeley Baked TS-9. What's nice is that it still retains that transparency you get from the Fulltone stuff, but has more gain available if you want it. Plus the pedal not only has a boost, but a Fatboost switch on the side. That with the 3 way diode selector and you have every possible overdrive contigency covered. Plus the tone is too die for.

6. Pappy

Pappy Member

The Uno Mos is my favorite gritty boost pedal - especially with EL84 amps. They market it as a clean boost but it actually adds some grit as well. It is the only pedal I've ever tried that literally sounds like my Carmen Ghia turned up louder - if not better. I set the gain control at 9:00 which is perfect for rhythm crunch tones. It's one of my favorite pedals ever with British voiced amps.

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

You guys should try the Psilocybe. As I mentioned in another thread, my vintage Small Stone, Phase 90, Mutron, Ross, Boss, and Shannon phasers have all failed to knock this thing off my board. And those are all pretty damn good phasers.

8. HBob

HBob Member

I'm diggin' my Big D. Sounds great with the Texas Two Step I just got. I really want to get a Power Screamer one of these days.

9. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Power Screamer tweed with fat boost here.
    I had a Keeley ts9 mod plus that i sold to get the homebrew. Couldn't be happier.
    It sounds great with my modded Hrdlx: it really screams!
    I can get great sounds from clean boosts to mild overdrive, from sustaining jazzfusion od's to hard rock nasty tones.
    Love it.
    I'll sure get the psilocybe soon