homemade 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 155, Jun 30, 2008.

1. 155

155 Supporting Member

hey guys I want build my own 4x12 and was looking for some dimensions and specifics on how to make stuff like the grill ,tolex , how to attach the baffle and so on. Im sure I could wing it Im a cabinet maker but would rather do it properly if you know what I meen, pixs would be great I can figure it out from there. thanks

2. 155

155 Supporting Member

nobodys made their own freekin cab?!!!

3. waylon

waylon Member

look on the Weber boards under enclosures.

4. joel98z

joel98z Member

5. cram

cram Member

check out posts by southbay amp works. he does a good job of documenting his restoration projects. it may give you some points to start from.

6. 155

155 Supporting Member

thanks guys those are good!

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

I made many Thiele cabinets in both 12" and 15" sizes. I have modified other cabs and have made 3 detuned cabs because it was the most practical way to get them. A variety 4 X 12" cabs are plentiful and cheap. I got an empty Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab for $200.00 and have seen similar deals for good Marshall cabs from the late 70s and early 80s. I have also seen those cabs fully loaded for about $400.00-$500.00. If you didn't like those speakers, they could be sold to help pay for other speakers etc.

It is certainly possible to use better materials and building techniques than many commercially available or used cabs but if your time is worth anything, it is an expensive and hard way to get a cab. With gathering materials, organizing them and the tools, tolexing or finishing, wiring, etc, you will probably have at least two full days into it and other days waiting for glue or finishes to dry.

8. 155

155 Supporting Member

I hear ya but was want to make my own anyway seems pretty easy and cheap, so we'll see

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Of course it is up to you but I don't think it is that cheap. At least around here a 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" voidless birch is over $100.00. The tolex needed would be about $40.00 to $50.00. Handles are at least $40.00. Speakers at a minimum of $200.00. Then you have glue, fasteners, wire, 1/4" jack, jack plate. But is you just want the experience, there is nothing wrong with that.

10. 155

155 Supporting Member

dont bring me down bosstone!, good points we'll see. 100 bucks for ply is absurd I can get the same **** for 50 bucks a sheet

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

Not just plywood but 3/4", voidless birch. If you don't use something of equivalent quality, you are wasting your time and money. I am not trying to bring you down. I am just giving you some facts to consider.

12. 155

155 Supporting Member

I know what ply your talking about Im a cabinetmaker by trade, I appriciate your honesty but think I will go ahead anyway I already have speakers and the ply in my shop from other projects so.....

13. Dave

Dave Member

3/4" voidless baltic birch? Wholesale or from a retailer? Please share.

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

Retail. Its furniture grade one one side and still nice on the other. I was originally going to stain and wax it. I figured that if I was going to spent all the time and money that I would make it look extra nice. Unfortunately I didn't get access to the router and dovetail jig from my brother who is a cabinet maker within my time frame and I ended up painting it black.

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

I got a price quote today on 3/4", white ,voidless birch. for C2 it is $37,00 a sheet and for A it is $92.00 a sheet + tax.

16. 155

155 Supporting Member

yeah sounds about right ,but who would buy A grade to cover? absolutley no differnce smoothness wise ect? if you gonna stain mabye A but other wise the c2 is more then good enough.

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

I mentioned that I intended to stain and oil.