Homemade amp with more agressive playing

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by JubileeMan 2555, Oct 10, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

This fits in this section since its not a recording with a backing track, but rather a stand alone noodle. I played the first 30 seconds of that wicked Philip Sayce "cockroach blues" song.

Guitar straight into amp.

Youtube Video

[​IMG]

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

That sounds great! A few questions....

1) Is the reverb from the room (ambient) or the amp?

2) Sounds like Super Reverb topology! What tubes/transformers are you using?

3) Are you running through a 4x10 or 1x12?

Again, it sounds really good! Great blues amp!

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

LOL ...fanboy:)

1. I added it after to make it sound more like it does in the room. Everytime I try to mike ambient, it creates a phase cancellation. So I just mic'd close and added the reverb. Its kinda cheating, but I don't think its taking away from the sound of the amp. Besides, I think it sounds more like this in person. And, in the end, I was trying to mimic the Philip Sayce Recording where there is an obvious room bounce to the reverb.

2. There is no "fender" in the preamp circuit. The power section is all fender though. I've got some NOS 7581a power tubes, but the preamp tubes are interesting. I found that NOS preamp tubes, in this circuit, get too mushy and messy in the low end. I have an EH in the V1 and Phase inverter slot, and a reissue Tung-Sol in the V2 (the drive channel tube). This is a master volume 2-channel amp... believe it or not.

3. 1x15

5. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Very cool! Design with what you like! I have a Ghia clone I built that I thought was too brite so I added a post-PI AC30 cut control. Good 'ol Sovtek tubes work just fine in it.

Two channel, huh? Is it footswitchable or is it like a Fender two channel amp (variation of the same preamp)?

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Its not footswitchable yet. But I have relay parts on order and on their way to make it switchable. right now the old bright switch manually flips the channels. I used up all available holes for switches/knobs so I only have one input now:)

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Dude, that's what loads of other amps TRY to sound like :) Great job

Eric

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Ha! funny... thanks! :)