(homemade Only) Pedalboard Pics

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tocs100, Feb 25, 2006.

1. tocs100

tocs100 Member

I'm thinking about getting an 8-foot plank at Home Depot and building both a big and a small board ($20 total). Here's your chance to post pics and discuss your homemade boards. (The current pedalboard thread is great, but it takes my weak computer too long to download pics to find just homemade ones.) :BITCH :AOK

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

[​IMG]

Homeade case with removeable lid. Homemade TB strip, power supply and about half the peds on my board I made as well.

4. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

[​IMG]

i threw these pedals on my board a while ago, but im moving so i never had time to actually hook them all up. I basically made it out of left over ply wood, and used a table saw to cut it, and a nail gun to put it together. Took about half and hour to build, and it stood up to 3 years of rehearsals and gigging. The best part was it actually fit everything i was using at the time, and i was able to mount power supplies and a power strip underneath it. i just had one chord sticking out of the back to power everything up. I bought a keyboard gig bag at guitar center to carry it arround in.

The only part of it i actually spent money on was the velcro and spray paint.

I have always built my own pedal boards simply because most of the ones available are not in dimensions that work well for me... plus i like them to be at an angle so the pedals in back are higher up than the ones in the front.

If i were ever going to pay money for a pedal boards, id probably go with an NYC custom pedal board.

5. exhausted

exhausted Member

6. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Great file attachment, Exhausted. Did you sand the paint off before applying velcro?

7. exhausted

exhausted Member

nope. didn't need to. it's stuck on there vey well. did the "shake upsidedown" test and everything.

8. jeak

jeak Member

[​IMG]

My Chapman Stick board. Made from a piece of 1/4" poplar from Lowe's. It was already 6" wide, and I cut the length to 10" (it was 2 feet). Colored the top and edges with a giant ink pen and then stuck on the two strips of industrial velcro. If I ever want to add a pedal, I can make a longer version of this board in 15-20 minutes.

Hey, exhausted, nice phaser!

9. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is the board i built to get the effects in my effects loop off the floor. My main board, which has the effects that go in front of the amp is an NGM standard. Up until a few months ago, I was squeezing all of my pedals onto the NGM, with a volume and expression pedal off the board. I added one more pedal, and it was too much, so i took all the effects running in the effect loop off the board - mainly for ease in connecting, and to keep things clean, without too many wires running to and from each board.

Since then i've added a few more effects, and as such, i needed to build this board to house them. I built it a few hours, on a whim (read: didn't really give too much thought to the overall design and ramifications of the dimensions). As a result, it is a little too "deep" in that pedals placed on the far side of the board are difficult to reach - i should have made it wider, but shorter front to back. It cost me about $35 for parts and i cut the C-channel stuff with a hacksaw and a plastic mitre box (so the angles don't quite line up perfectly). All in all, i was impressed with the finished product (i'm a doctor - a surgeon actually, but my wood and metal-working skills are lacking!).

My last attempt at a pedalboard was a flop!
    [​IMG]

I built this board in 2000 while i was playing with my last band. We started playing live at places a lot further from home, and i needed some way to pack all my gear up. This board was probably 3'x2' (yeah, i thought the more room, the better!) and weighed a TON. I did make it with a removable lid which added to the giagantism of the whole thing. I'll try to find a better pic, which shows how rediculously big it was - but suffice it to say, i didn't really think of how i would fit this board on small stages, and as a result, i trashed it and got the NGM.

The current homemade board is only temporary for me, as i really would prefer something with a case (or built into a case like the NGM or NYC boards) and this one that i have now just doesn't fit into a keyboard case or something similar.

Brian

10. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

Here mine me and my buddy Tommy built. The pedals are allo the same except the big muff has been replaced with a Magic Stomp 2.

[​IMG]

11. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Instead of using velcro, has anyone tried drilling holes in a raised board, and then using those 14-inch nylon cable ties from Home Depot?

12. trumpus

As a side question on improving my temporary board (pictured above).

Right now, it sits flat on the ground. I'd like to find a way to tilt it up. If i use wood blocks, i'd have to figure out the angle and mitre it (45 degrees is too steep anyways), so does anyone have a recommendation for tilting it up just a bit?

I was thinking of some sort of plastic feet, with a threaded rod, like those used on chair legs to level out the chair.

Anything else?

13. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

14. trumpus

Nice looking board Sixpack - very professional looking. How much work went into that? Doesit have a removable top?

Brian

15. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Couldn't one just measure the maximum height (say, 2 inches) then cut a block diagonally from bottom-left edge to top-right edge? This would give two equal, triangle-legs. ;)

16. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

17. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

It took me about 6 hours total, including soldering the patch cables. It does look pro, but it's really low budget. Everything I used I had lying around. I thought about making a top for it too, but in the end I didn't. I made it to fit inside a laptop bag. Here's another pic of my board

[​IMG]

Johan.

18. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Also, how many coats and cans of spray paint did you need? (BTW: Great looking board, Sixpack Jay!)

19. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

Less than 35 bucks in materials.

[​IMG]

20. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

Here is mine.
    [​IMG]
    Its missing a catalinbread Semaphore, AB box, subdecay liquid sunshine, and a fuzz. Hopefully I will have all that and a Mesa Rectoverb by the middle or end of the summer. Also I am fixing to clean the wiring up with George L's in the very near future. Ill post again when I actually get it all together.