Hometown Hero(s) Who Made it Big

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tidewater Custom Shop, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Living in New Orleans as a teenager was a privilege. I imagine it still is today.

Early to mid '70s, ZEBRA was doing CYO dances at my local church. They gained some national recognition, and Randy Jackson is touring/singing with the orchestral Zepplin thing.

[​IMG]

Also, when ZEBRA wasn't doing the CYO gigs, Gregg Wright was... not sure if he was from the area, but he played there all the time and we considered him "our own". He did Hendrix chops like nobody's bidness, as well as his own JH flavored blues, really tone driven stuff. AND, he played a righty lefty without swapping the strings! Check this out... click the MP3 to listen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

well, zebra moved to long island about the time they started to hit it big, so i'll claim them too (they live one town over from me). also i'll add dee snider of twisted sister, and while she isn't my taste, taylor dayne is from my hometown (i was friends with her brother).

3. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I like zebra but the 80's hendix wannabee was horrid!

4. Tidewater Custom Shop

Yeah. Horrid enough to gig on stage with Michael Jackson, and claim Battle of the Blues Band in the 2005 Monterey Bay Blues Fest.

5. snoggin

snoggin Member

A guy I knew in High school and took a couple of lessons with went on to major fame.. Chris hayes of Huey lewis and the news.. REally talented guy

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Butch Vig played the clubs of Madison and did local band recordings for years and years before he made it bigtime as a superstar producer, as well as playing with Garbage

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Proud Dad alert (and apologies) but my "hometown hero" and son Ed has done pretty well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1999 - Vertical Horizon

[​IMG]

Since 2006 - The Doobie Brothers

[​IMG]

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Brian, that is very cool. Good for him.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

New Orleans in the early 70's and all you can come up with is Zebra. WTF? How about The Meters, The Nevilles, anyone named Marsalis, anyone named Batiste, and the granddaddy of them all 'Fess? Don't forget Earl King, Robert Palmer, Randy Newman, etc...

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Alanis Morissette
    Jeff Waters/Annihilator
    Glen Drover/Megadeth

11. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

We had a little band come out of our town:

[​IMG]

12. Tidewater Custom Shop

Thanks for the NOLA adds. In the '70s, I could care less about funk and jazz. Of course, that changed over the years. I simply entered bands that I used to watch at very small venues, and who influenced me to wanna play.

But you're absolutely right - I used to go see Robert Palmer at venues like Ol' Man Rivers, and the Neville Bros at Tipitino's on Tchoupitoulas.

13. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Heart in Seattle in the early 70's. Did Zep dead on in the clubs.

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yeah, i lived in NOLA from 78-81, and used to hang out with Zebra. Randy used to sneak me into Olde Man Rivers, since i was only 16 at the time.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Chris Shiflett from Foo Fighters grew up and went to school in my town (at the same time as me), and used to play in a band with a couple of guys I played soccer and went to school with (No Use For a Name).

16. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

Al Anderson with the Wild Weeds in the 60s moved on to NRBQ, an awesome live band. High energy and quirky, just a lot of fun to see.

17. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I have kind of an opposite story. Back in the late '80s, a local bar had a Wednesday night Jam Night, with a house band that people would rotate into. There was a guitar player who would show up almost every week and just destroy everyone. Every song he did sounded great, and he was a terrific soloist. So he forms a band with some other local talent, gets lucky, and gets a slot opening for Cacophony (with Jason Becker and Marty Friedman) at THE Bay Area hard rock/metal venue. We all went with great anticipation. But somehow, on a larger stage, in front of 1,000 people, with some expectations, he all of a sudden seemed only "OK". And then later, after Cacophony had started, he seemed a long way away from the big leagues. And ultimately, his band went nowhere.

18. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I see now that my post should have gone in the "failed hero" thread; sorry!