Homework for my Berklee private guitar students

Tomo

I am working on this type blues chord changes. Several students are interested how I voice lead chords over Jazz blues and how to play walking bass line from my More AYGP dvd.

Hope you can use some ideas from this.

Transcribing Homework for my Berklee private guitar students
http://youtu.be/L76dQbNzR0I

Tomo

mark norwine

Great voicings....Your use of diminished substitutions to slide around is very nice..

I hear a lot of Joe Pass in your bassline work, too!

Really great stuff.

Tomo

Great voicings....Your use of diminished substitutions to slide around is very nice..

I hear a lot of Joe Pass in your bassline work, too!

Really great stuff.
Thanks so much!

Yes, that dim chord over Dom7 (b9) is easy way to move around a la WES!

Good call! I love Joe Pass so much! I took one lesson with Joe!

I love the way he thinks: Maj7, Min7, Dom7, that's it!

Tomo

skhan007

Whoa! That was great, Tomo! The chord changes were too fast for me to pick up what you were playing, but I'd love to know if there's tab or a slower lesson. Great, great playing!

Tomo

Whoa! That was great, Tomo! The chord changes were too fast for me to pick up what you were playing, but I'd love to know if there's tab or a slower lesson. Great, great playing!
Thanks for watching. Please search "Bb Jazz Blues or Root 3rd 7th" on my Youtube Channel.

You need to find your door for this type playing. No need any tabs!

You can learn much simple way to follow this chord progression first.

Then you may get into 4 notes voicings on ideas.

Root 3rd 7th first... this way you can play any jazz tunes!

Thanks so much for your kind words. I made more lessons. Too many too post so I will post a few lessons a week so please check my Youtube CH.

Tomo

mark norwine

Thanks so much!

Yes, that dim chord over Dom7 (b9) is easy way to move around a la WES!

Good call! I love Joe Pass so much! I took one lesson with Joe!

I love the way he thinks: Maj7, Min7, Dom7, that's it!

Tomo
But when you think about it, doesn't that about cover it? Maj, Min, Dom. What else is there, really? I love the way Joe thought in simple pieces.

And...I, too, love to use a full dim as a (rootless) dom7b9. It's a super-easy way to think & move from place to place. Sort of like the child's board game "chutes & ladders"

Do you ever get down to the NJ / NYC area? I'd love to meet sometime!

Tomo

But when you think about it, doesn't that about cover it? Maj, Min, Dom. What else is there, really? I love the way Joe thought in simple pieces.

And...I, too, love to use a full dim as a (rootless) dom7b9. It's a super-easy way to think & move from place to place. Sort of like the child's board game "chutes & ladders"

Do you ever get down to the NJ / NYC area? I'd love to meet sometime!
Good point!

His idea is focus on simple concept! That's all. Group of... each group.

I think if you think shapes and frets too much, it's hard to hear as M3 5 b7 b9 ???

but he can hear very complex harmony and he can play them.

Just think simple, that doesnot mean just play simple.

Everything will take many years to master it.

Commitment, hardwork... cannot expect anything near... be patient!!!

You mean, if you are interested taking my lessons, please email me.

Thanks,

Tomo

flavaham

That's some good stuff, Tomo!! I'd love to be able to do this some day! Not sure where to even begin though. This seems way above my level for now.

To be clear on the dim7 thing above, you are using this as a sub to a dom7 chord making it a rootless dom7b9 chord, right?

Tomo

That's some good stuff, Tomo!! I'd love to be able to do this some day! Not sure where to even begin though. This seems way above my level for now.

To be clear on the dim7 thing above, you are using this as a sub to a dom7 chord making it a rootless dom7b9 chord, right?
Thanks so much! You can do this. All you have to do is fill something that you need to know. Each steps you can go up and you can hear like this and play.

Basically I am playing by ear like this. No time to think!

Can you play Dom7 chord from 4321 set strings?

If you play G7 from 4321 set.

You can go.. b7 M3 5th Rt, Rt 5th b7 M3, M3 b7 Rt 5th, 5th Rt M3 b7?

Then change Root to b9.... that's all I did. and play different set of strings.

Concept is just playing M3 5th b7 b9 of Dom7 chord. This way you can move around.

Tomo

dsw67

I cannot comment anything, because I am not your teacher.

but I really appreciate any efforts that you do to improve your guitar playing!

Tomo
Just a joke Tomo. I figured I'd post a transcription for folks who might like it.

Peace!

Trending Topics