Honestly, the Eventide Space sounds like SH****TTTTTT

nrvana8775

I don't know what to do with this thing.

It has synced reverse functions that are an absolute necessity to "my sound," but the algorithms are piss poor.

At 0% mix, the original tone is retained jut fine, but once you kick in an algorithm, the highs become horribly digital and the lows are muffled. It's literally one of the worst sounding pedals I've heard.

I like to drench things in reverb, and the space is not good for that.

What happened!? How could eventide have messed this up so badly?

Blackhole setting.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nrvana8775/eventidespacetest[/SOUNDCLOUD]

0-4s = on vs off. No real difference, 0% wet
6-10s = on vs off. 25% wet, 25% low, 25% high
13-18s = on vs off. 50% wet, 50% low, 50% high
20-26s = on vs off. 75% wet, 75% low, 75% high
28-33s = on vs off. 100% wet, 100% low, 100% high
35-end = moving from 0-100% wet, 55% low, 100% high. Then moving the high from 100% to 0%.

The clipping is from the pedal, I am playing at the same dynamic the whole way through. I know this isn't an exhaustive/conclusive test by any means, but it does show how the high end is very artificial sounding.

Last edited:

nrvana8775

You're doing it wrong. ;)
I don't know about that.

Take something like the blackhole. Much of the spread occurs through the upper register, but I find those to sound very metallic and piercing. So, I have to keep the high down to about 11 o'clock. I always keep the low completely off as well.

It sounds tolerable when I run it underneath my main tone, and adjust eq accordingly.

But I like to max it at 100% a lot of the time, to make my guitar not sound as such. This is where the space really fails me.

npfrs

I don't know about that.

Take something like the blackhole. Much of the spread occurs through the upper register, but I find those to sound very metallic and piercing. So, I have to keep the high down to about 11 o'clock. I always keep the low completely off as well.

It sounds tolerable when I run it underneath my main tone, and adjust eq accordingly.

But I like to max it at 100% a lot of the time, to make my guitar not sound as such. This is where the space really fails me.
I will admit, I was just having a laugh typing that. I have the Space as well and use it, mostly, for shimmer, and find it sounds great. Sits well with me. Does it sound a bit digital? Yes. Is it a digital pedal? Yes. Does that shimmer effect occur naturally in any other pedal? Not that I know of. Does the audience know when it's sitting in the mix with 2/3 guitars, bass, drums, vocal, going? Prob not.

To say this wonderful pedal sounds like "SH****TTTTTT" might be overstating or simplifying it a bit. Is it not giving you the exact sound you want? That's prob accurate. Have you looked into alternative pedals that can do similar things?

Footbutt

for me, the Eventide Space is a vital part of my setup, not only in the guitar pedal realm but in the studio as well. i can dial in so many unique sounds that are huge!
it's not for everyone, i know, but to say it sounds like poo is a bit of a reach. it did take me a while to dial in a sound that worked perfectly for my setup, so maybe... just tweak?

or heck, just sell it and get a Stereo WET. that seems to be the norm and standard.

i'd probably do the same (sell my Space and get a WET and BSR) but i need BPM-sync effects and the Space is great at that.

Mr. Limbic

Curious as to what type of beat synced effects the space has? I play to clicks a lot and love my pitchfactor for this, but wasn't aware of any reverb type sounds that would use syncing, sorry for off topic but that sounds cool

scolfax

Well this Space thread is going the same direction as all the others. Pedal of the year, right?

Footbutt

Curious as to what type of beat synced effects the space has? I play to clicks a lot and love my pitchfactor for this, but wasn't aware of any reverb type sounds that would use syncing, sorry for off topic but that sounds cool
the AMESTREMOLO (sp?) setting is an awesome, hard Tremolo that sounds great as a timekeeper.
also i use the pre-delay on the dualverb for a nice patterned delay sound.

i just feel there's a lot of potential for the SPACE for those who want/can tweak the crap out of it.

Mr. Limbic

Interesting...didn't expect it to do trem sounds...is it like a regular trem? I have been thinking about picking up a gig fx pro chopper, would the space do similar things?

ChaseTMP

Silver Supporting Member
From talking to one of the Eventide guys at NAMM, there should be a beta update available very soon. Maybe, they'll tweak some of the algorithms.

I personally, love mine.

nrvana8775

All of the effects on the space can be synced in one way or another.

Feedback/delay, pre-delay, attack, etc.

I do midi-synced reverse reverbs, use cc to send synced changes in the decay/low/hi eqs.

The space is the only pedal that has so much capability. It sounds horrible though.

nrvana8775

Interesting...didn't expect it to do trem sounds...is it like a regular trem? I have been thinking about picking up a gig fx pro chopper, would the space do similar things?
The trem sound is more pronounced when running it with reverb.

You can choose between six or seven different lfo types, and choose what kind of division occurs. I really like this mode, but as a standalone reverb it doesn't really work. You have to dial back the decay, and turn up size.