Honestly, the Eventide Space sounds like SH****TTTTTT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 26, 2012.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm not sure. It went from me discussing how the digital tone of the space is very unpleasing/unnatural, to you implying that I don't know how to properly use an effects pedal.

I do know how to use the pedal; well enough to where eventide is fixing bugs in the midi implementation that I found.

I also know how to use a metronome, both literally and metaphorically. My whole rig is midi/cv synced. I wouldn't hesitate to say I have one of the more complex rigs on here.

2. Madsen

Madsen Member

depends on whose butt we're talking about.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

dude butt is never a good thing.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

[​IMG]

Example of good butt.

jb4674: addendum: I don't want to post another entry off topic but I just couldn't let the OP's remark about butt never being good to stand ;-)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. jb4674

jb4674 Member

The boots are doing the work in that picture.

Now, can we get back on topic please???

nrvana8775, how are you running the space in your chain?

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I like mine but I can relate to what the OP is saying... I've been using it with synths primarily of late cause I dont like what it does to my guitar signal, on or off. I am probably done buying Eventide products until they can put something genuinely transparent out there.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Glad I'm not the only one.

The pedal doesn't noticeably affect my dry tone when the mix is at 0%, and I haven't found too much of a difference between buffered/true bypass mode.

It's the algorithms that are the issue.

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

My rig:

VHT Valvulator -> Pigtronix Philosopher King -> Space -> Penny Pedals Fingerprint (fuzz) -> Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper -> Strymon Timeline -> WMD Geiger Couner -> Moog Midi Murf.

That's the order that gives me the widest variety of sounds.

9. feralchild

feralchild Member

I use a pitchfactor with a pro chop, it's a REALLY cool combo. When they are midi synced, and you set the timing correctly, the Chop cuts out your guitar signal at just the right moment, and during those brief windows of silence, the PF fills in its diatonic shifted repeats. The result is a perfect, effortless electronica sound coming from your guitar.

You have to put the Chopper ratio knob all the way up, which makes the stabs very short. Then you get all these pretty, super clean pitch shifted repeats in between them.

One thing you should know about the chopper before you buy it, and this may just be an issue with my rig, but I've noticed an audible "click" sound as the squarewave tremolo cuts on and off. This is only an issue when playing quiet/ambient stuff with the amp cranked, so it may not be an issue for you. Not trying to turn you off to the pedal but just be aware.

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't own a Space but I have a Timefactor and a Pitchfactor and yes, they are digital pedals. And they both sound great to me! I guess my ear is just not good enough to hear the crappyness?

Maybe you shouldn't be cranking your reverb to 100%. I've tried many software-based reverbs (in ableton, reason etc) and they ALL muddy the high end when you don't have any dry input going through, that's part of what reverb does (including natural room reverb). If it was all super bright I think it would sound pretty awful in normal applications (i.e. 50% wet). On the other hand, if there's a reverb pedal deep enough to give you the option to completely eliminate that high-end rolloff, the Space is probably it. Keep on tweakin!

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

It may be because my FX loop is unbuffered but I noticed a significant improvement in my overall sound when I took the Space out of the chain. I have the same issue with Moogerfoogers actually, yet for instance the Timeline sounds pretty much perfect. I wish everything ran with that level of conversion.

Regardless tho I hear what you're saying about the algorithms. The highs are particularly icy with my rig and I just can't EQ a proper balance.

Sounds amazing w/ line level synth output tho.

11. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Nrvana... how old are you?

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! :Spank

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Twenty six.

I'm interested to see what the next question is :p

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The next question is: "do you think you could express your disapproval - always acceptable as long as it is substantiated - of a powerful digital workstation, coming directly from classic studio gear, in a manner that doesn't suggest you are a 14-year-old with a rich dad that got him a Space because he was bored with his Playstation 3?"

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  15. feralchild

feralchild Member

Oh yes I did (state the obvious)!

Somebody had to!

16. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I suppose. But if I'm paying that much of my own money for an effects pedal, I would think that it could sound better.

I'll try to find the thread on gearslutz, but one of the better known / former DSP engineers had some not so kind things to say about their algorithm implementation.

17. feralchild

feralchild Member

No dry signal = all you're hearing is reverb. Reverb is almost always lowpassed.

Have yourself a shootout with every reverb you can find. Put them all on 100% WET and see if you don't have the exact same complaint about each and every one.

18. td2243

td2243 Member

Oh snappity snap snap snap!! :p

19. Occam

Occam Member

Ever crank a spring reverb tank that has depth and mix? The highs tend to get out of control on there too. I run my space in front of my amp but I keep my mix well below 50% to keep it from getting out of control...maybe it's something with your effects loop that makes you need to have the mix that high. Your pedal order seems a bit weird to me as well. I don't have a lot of runs with effects but reverb is always last for me.

20. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Here are some other comments: