Honestly, the Eventide Space sounds like SH****TTTTTT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

One of the better known DSP engineers expressed his disapproval? What does that really mean? That the Eventide CEO should commit harakiri? Or that, for example, you are going to use his arguments to justify why you don't like it yourself? You take fora far too seriously...

As for the Eclipse and the Space, did you use them on identical conditions (and I mean IDENTICAL, same source, same line level etc etc)? Would you be able to upload the results so that we can hear that as well? As far as I am concerned, Space sounds gorgeous and if someone can't produce a good sound out of it, it's user error and not Eventide's. Plus, regarding the reverb modes dial... it does exist, and that's one of the first things that's mentioned in the manual. And no one said it sounds like a convolution reverb (was it supposed to?)

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I didn't write those. I found the comments on gearslutz.

If a former engineer/creator of the best known eventide algorithms is saying that the newer eclipse/space do not sound like the older models, due to algorithm and converters, then yes, there is probably something going on.

It's a cool pedal that offers control that no other hardware reverb does. But it also doesn't sound good. That's all I'm saying. :huh

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I sold 2 space pedals. They do sound bad.

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

But I thought you made the comparison between Eclipse and Space... are you borrowing someone else's comments? And what would that have to do with whether you like it or not, and why?

@Sunset: why 2? And what was it exactly that you didn't like? I am not saying it's impossible, just that I would be interested to see a well written and thorough opinion.

5. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I think the problem is you're listening to it in stereo with your left and right ears, the trick with the Space is you have to use your final front ear!

I'm so sorry.

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Blackhole setting.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nrvana8775/eventidespacetest[/SOUNDCLOUD]

0-4s = on vs off. No real difference, 0% wet
    6-10s = on vs off. 25% wet, 25% low, 25% high
    13-18s = on vs off. 50% wet, 50% low, 50% high
    20-26s = on vs off. 75% wet, 75% low, 75% high
    28-33s = on vs off. 100% wet, 100% low, 100% high
    35-end = moving from 0-100% wet, 55% low, 100% high

The clipping is from the pedal, I am playing at the same dynamic the whole way through. I know this isn't an exhaustive/conclusive test by any means, but it does show how the high end is very artificial sounding.

7. soli528

soli528 Member

Do you have any recorded examples of this? I'd really like to hear/see what you're talking about. (not suspicious, genuinely interested)
    Also, I noticed in a later post you have a GK in your chain- I've never played with that CV sync function, could you talk a bit about how that works, what's the CV source, what it's doing to sync with the GK, etc...
    Thanks in advance!

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Updated with sound.

Are you asking about the audio sync or the cv in?

Audio sync just requires an audio track. I send a snare drum sound with fast attack/short decay to the audio input, and it works really well!

CV in is pretty much an expression pedal control. I don't use this often, as the cv in overrides the audio sync; therefore, losing sync to a click track. I've sent the same drum sounds into the cv in, and it makes for some interesting bleeps and bloops, but nothing I'd use for traditional guitar playing.

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

*sigh* enter the internet. everyones rig and ears tell them different things... is the ADDA conversion perfect on the space? no. not even close. does it color your tone? YES! does it do things that no other pedal on the market does? YES! so.... if you want the said benefits of what it does than deal with the coloring of your tone, or put it in a bypass looper, OR just don't use the unit.... every pedal out there isn't meant to appease every person or sound like a studio in their rig. cables/power/amp/tube/guitar/length of chain/buffers before or after there are so many variables.... if you like it use it, if you don't move on. if you feel ripped for spending so much money on a pedal that made a promise to you on a forum thread that was unfulfilled than just sell for what you paid, if you bought it new, return it.

I for one sold the space the first time i had it cause i made money....

I bought it again.

I have it in a blender. BOOM. no issues with it at all.

10. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

@bobby and @nrvana: what is your point exactly?

@this1smyne: of course it is supposed to colour your tone... plates colour your tone, springs colour your tone, racks colour your tone. I am not really sure what people are looking for with "zero colouration". Like J. Mascis said... why do they buy effects in the first place? As for the AD/DA conversion, which one would be perfect in your opinion, and what are the drawbacks that you find in the Space? (I suppose we are talking about what happens between buffered off & on at zero wet, right?)

11. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

Conversion is bad, the tone is either dark or shrill, always tweaking but never happy. Tried to love it twice, wanted to love it, did not.

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Listen to the on/off from 0-4. I have the buffer on. I can't hear a difference between on/off. Then listen to the clipping/shrillness that happens.

That's my issue.

13. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

@sunset: Personally, I have completely the opposite experience. Anyway...

@nrvana: what shrillness? I am sorry to say but your tone is a bit horrible and very thin to begin with. And apart from the fact that there are at least 5 or 6 EQ parameters per mode (plus smaller adjustments here and there that play a crucial role), a small effort of balancing the wet versus the high content always brings things where I want them within seconds. I can't really recall having the wet more than something like 50% (except at special circumstances). And bear in mind that I always play with bright, shimmery high headroom amps and bright twangy guitars. In my opinion, I think it's a classic example of gear with insane parameters and possibilities that falls into the hands of people that don't have the time, patience or ability to sit down and explore it as it is meant to be explored, or simply don't find a use for their own style, or think it's overkill (for some it definitely is, for others it can be a tool like everything else).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  14. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I couldn't do this without the space:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nrvana8775/spacereversereverb[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Otherwise, I'd just get a stereo wet and float on clouds. For $500, this should be my only reverb though. The highs are too harsh.

Agree to disagree.

15. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

I agree with you my friend. I'm 42, and yesterday I played guitar for 12 hours. I'm insane i know. The more i play and get into music, the less I want to appease people with pretty words and big words and get all technical. I call a spade a spade.

Space sounds too digital, it don't sound good.

I applaude your honest response, allbeit subjective. I just got my Paypal account reemburssed $474 USD just now, for the Space I sent back "Return To Sender" 2 weeks ago. I'm happy :D

16. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

@lux i think we're saying the same thing.... i'm a fan, and think if you spend time tweaking it there shouldn't be a problem with the unit at all.

17. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I'll take it off your hands for $100 =D

18. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I agree it sounds like SH****TTTTTT

It is very unfortunate. The conversion is just one part of the problem.

See in my mind $500 pedals should not require a loop to avoid the conversion, the conversion either should be great as is, or have a dry through. On, The space is either harsh or dark. It takes a heavy hand of tweaking to find happiness, and I never could find the balance. It was annoying. I would love to love it. But I can't.

19. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

unless Strymon comes out with a timline-like REVERB pedal, the SPACE is the reverb for me.

20. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Sunset, please tell me:

(a) if you really think that what you are hearing here is really representative of the pedal :facepalm , and

(b) if you still believe there is 0% chance of user error / lack of patience / time / ability to tweak a pedal that can take extreme tweaking (not that you have to, but you can - and should - if you don't like something), and finally blaming all sorts of factors except the personal one.