Honestly, the Eventide Space sounds like SH****TTTTTT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 26, 2012.

1. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, always thought that things could easily be adjusted with all the control available. But then again, if you think it's the algo itself that's "wrong".. Can't do much about that.

@op: What will you replace it with now? An old eclipse? BSR? Stereo wet? I'd like to see what passes your test. I'm guessing you'd be selling the Space. I know I wouldn't keep something that I thought was crap.

As for me, I really like the Space. It's my favorite pedal (even moreso than the Timeline). I had the BSR before it and I much prefer this one all in all. The conversion ain't perfect, but nothing is. It's digital after all. But I don't think it messes with my sound significantly.

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Ha, I didn't have my bandmaster reverb. Had to DI it, and I have no tube pre-amps right now. Otherwise, it'd be nice and full. :p

Trust me, I've tried tweaking the eqs. Not all of the algorithms have six eqs, but I know what you're sayin.

I play bright guitars/amps as well, and I love drenching things in reverb. Once it gets past 55% wet, weird things start to happen. :huh

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

That would be epic probably. Strymon puts out great stuff.

But yeah, no pedal can do what the Space does. Nothing even comes close.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Not sure what to do about this. I think it's the algorithms themselves that get to me.

Had the BSR, but it wouldn't do 100%, it also sat on top of my tone, rather than sitting in it. I think that was due to the way the wet signal runs parallel.

The stereo wet sounds cool, and would be something I could use for a 'floating cloud' texture.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I am hearing moments where I remember distinctly the problems I had. So yes I think it represents the pedal, but I understand your point as I do believe nrvana's sounds especially bad so maybe his setting choices would differ from others.. still I hear the artifacts that did annoy me.

There is always a chance for user error. I am by no means perfect but I could not solve my problems no matter how hard I tried.

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Thanks for your answer. I am also not perfect, and I surely know that usually (or maybe always) the same experience is very different from one person to another... or I should say that there is no such thing as a "same experience". :)

7. glennc100

glennc100 Member

It tone sucked the color out of a marble. I sold mine.

8. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

To me, the Space rocks. Is it perfect? No. However, there are things that it can do that no other pedal can do (that I've found) and when I look at the package as a whole it simply is all I need in a reverb. Obviously different strokes for different folks, but that's my take.

9. Flinx

Flinx Member

I love my space pedal...will never get rid of it...for what i do, it's perfect.

10. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

For sure. It's sorta like getting an amp or guitar. If you like the base sound, you can tweak to get those customised sounds. If you don't like the base sound, no amount of tweaking will fully satisfy you.

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'll prepare to listen after I medicate. :p

12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Am I the only one who thinks a reverb pedal should go in the loop of an amp? I know there's no right or wrong way but, I think the Space is meant to go in the loop IMO.

nrvana8775, what amp are you using with the space and where is the space? is it in the front or loop?

Also, please post the settings of your space for whatever patch you were using as the example so I can try it and see what it sounds like on my end.

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I tried the other three Eventide pedals and couldn't find any sounds that worked for me. I was afraid to even try the Space. Glad i saved my money (that I blew on a SOL).

14. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I use the space for reverse reverbs. My chan is something that I developed over a few months, so it's staying as is. I would like another verb at the end of the chain, and will probably grab a wet for that purpose. BTW, there's a guitar and a line level for a reason :p.

I'm using a Bandmaster Reverb, which has onboard spring. I use a light amount of spring to tie everything together. The space is more for extreme sounds than realistic ones. Hence why I said my issue is in the 75-100% range.

The settings are listed below the soundcloud clip. The size is around 50-70%, resonance at 0%, mod level/low set to 30%.

15. bpayne82

bpayne82 Member

aha...to me it sounds great, but i haven't used it much for the crazy stuff...yet

16. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Keep it at 37% wet, throw the size at 70%, low at 35% and the high at about 30%. It's a nice sustained/underneath tone.

I can get that texture with much cheaper/smaller pedals though.

I'm wanting to drastically alter my tone. I like looping the tails and processing them for some cool ambient pad sounds. As I said earlier, the movement comes in the high end. But the high end is reallllllly shrill/harsh. It's not as noticeable in the more subtle settings, but I'm most inspired by the extremes.

17. soli528

soli528 Member

I agree the clip you posted sounds pretty harsh on the top end, I was actually asking if you had a recorded example of the sync'd reverse reverb stuff you mentioned, that sounds like you want it to rather than what you're not liking...
    As for the GK, yes' it was the audio sync I was thinking of rather than the cv control. I'm thinking you could run an aux out from a mic'ed snare channel and use that to automatically sync the LFO with a drummer...:idea
    sorry to derail!

18. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I liked Crxshdxmmy's video on the reverse capabilities of the space..

19. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

On 2nd thought...the OP is right. I just flushed it down the crapper.

20. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Those reverse reverb settings are fairly similar to mine, though I keep the size at 70% or so.

Also, the feedback/repeats aren't in sync with everything else. Eventide told me it should be fixed in the next update.