Honestly, the Eventide Space sounds like SH****TTTTTT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 26, 2012.

1. starfish

starfish Member

I completely agree with the OP. I became so tired of the sterile sounding "Factor" series conversion that I got rid of my Eventide pedals. I'm a longtime Eventide user too. Strangely, the 20-year-old H3000 sounds much better than any of the Factor series and also the Eclipse. There is something about the DA that sounds better on the H3000, but I suspect it may have an unprocessed analog dry-through, which is the big issue with the pedals. Once you convert the dry signal, accentuated by inferior quality convertors, you lose something both in tone and feel.

2. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

I too agree with the op...it did something to my rig I didn't like...changed to BSR...I don't have the options I had but everything sounds as it should again...

3. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

> Pigtronix Philosopher King -> Hardwire RV-7 -> Diamond Memory Lane -> Strymon Blue Sky Reverb ->Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper -> WMD Geiger Counter -> Moog Midi Murf

lol wut? that is not complex whatsoever. come back when all your effects are controlled by midi, and you have a looper to re-route everything to your desire.

besides, you used the ONE super trippy effect as your example? well sherlock did ya try the normal spring and plate? i think not. kthnksbye

4. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I had the same feeling when I played a G3. I bet the next hugely popular multi-effects box will have analog dry-through. The current trend can't last.

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

What "current trend" would that be?

6. Manicstarseed

Manicstarseed Member

Nope, I'm with you on this.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I mix midi and cv, using ableton as a host. Expert sleeper's "silent way" does the cv routing, plogue bidule does the midi piping, and I just use cc/pc/automation changes per scene.

The looper sounds cool though. Are you using the switch blade?

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I can think of no reason if you are using your amp as a clean machine, and obtaining your drive from pedals placed before the reverb. Not to mention that very interesting sounds come from "dirtying up" your reverb by feeding it through a drive pedal, or just a slightly driven amp (a sound heard countless times before loops existed, for example at the surf era when reverb tanks were used in front of dimed Fender amps).

9. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

i've never bought an Eventide pedal for the exact reason the OP states.....every clip I've ever heard, they sound so "sterile" & digital....just something doesn't sound pleasing to my ears.

10. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I never found the Space to sound bad. Especially in the loop. But, then again, I have a series effects loop. I'm sure that helps. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have used far more inferior pedals than the Eventide. The one thing I can say is that it is probably more pedal than what most people are going to need. After all, some of the presets aren't even meant for guitar. One read through the manual, and this truth becomes evident in that Eventide suggests that some of the presets should be used (or at the very least, have been used in the past) on drums, bass, overall mix, etc.

Good luck.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if your concerns could be remedied with an eq after the Space?There's only so much you can do to "un-digital" a pedal that sounds digital and / or "sterile", but it's a thought.

I don't particularly care if it sounds sterile. I think sterile / cold has its place along with fat /warm. I bought it for Floyd-like sound experiments, and it does that job. :)

12. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I just scratch my head regarding all this hate for the Eventide Space. I'm still using the very first production unit to arrive at Sweetwater two years ago. In that period of time, I've written some really stellar and warm sounding effects, many of which I can't reproduce with anything else I own.

On top of all the strange, weird, and beautiful stuff the Space will do, it can also be used in live performance as your only Reverb/Delay/Mod/Special FX box, if you need a lot of time-based effects, and your stage space is virtually non-existent. Along those lines, the following is from a previous post by me:

[​IMG] 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM
    S. S. Bender [​IMG]

My Eventide Space
    I've owned the Eventide Space for a good long time, as I bought the very first one out of the initial shipment to arrive at Sweetwater in January of 2011. It's been a mainstay on my 42 x 17 big board, co-existing nicely with my favorite and often preferred analog gear.

Almost two years later, I now have a renewed appreciation for the Space. I just had a demanding one-off supporting gig backing a singer-songwriter that normally would have called for use of almost everthing on my big board. Problem was, we could only bring the absolute minimum of equipment to this gig. I decided on a small board containing my Keeley Compressor, TC Jauernig Gristle King, Morley Mini Volume Pedal, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, and of course, the Eventide Space. My amp was a Carr Viceroy.

Since I've owned it, I've been writing and storing a range of various utility and special programs to its memory. Mostly, the utility programs were written just in case I ever had to use it as a single catch-all box in place of my normal and favored Delay and Modulation pedals.

Man... Did it ever work great. I tapped the Space for everything it was worth, using it as a Reverb/Delay/Tremolo/Chorus/Flanger/Distortion/Special Noise Maker/You Name It Device. I have twenty different Delay-centric programs written for it, and many of those got used. The gig was a blast, and I didn't miss my big board like I thought I would. I was very pleased with the results I got on the gig, and it felt really good to pull that much sound out of that small amount of gear. I actually can't believe it, but I didn't miss my other analog and digital delays much, if at all.

I should add that the Tech 21 Midi Mouse was invaluable on the gig as well, because it allowed me to cycle up and down quickly between programs on the Space, leaving me with immediate access to the Hot Switch, and Tap Tempo foot-switches for real-time control.

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That's what I wanted it for...the strange, weird, beautiful stuff. I'm using it with a Timeline, and considering adding a Midi MuRf in the near future.

14. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

Nice! I've been intrigued by that Timeline, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. On my big board, I've been using my Space along-side a mini fleet of Diamonds. (The Memory Lane 2, ST-Mix, Tremolo, and Vibrato units)

15. jamesie

jamesie Member

not to offend one, but i think when a pedal sounds sterile the playing is sterile

16. metamatic

metamatic Member

I can't beleive Eventide failed the converters or the algorithms design. It's more likely some of the algorithms don't sound that good with your rig. I wouldn't use such a complex sounding algorithm direct into a blackface style preamp, expecially with bright sounding speakers. Flat full range amps/speakers (almost Hi-Fi) is the way to go for such effects in my opinion. Try it with a Hiwatt or Roland JC maybe if you really want to go direct, or try an effects loop as other suggested.

17. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

on certain algo's i noticed this super high-pitch whine, especially when going: Gtr > drives > Tech 21 Liverpool > Timeline > Space > mixer @ FOH.

i still think it's one of the best reverbs out there, and you can find it used for like $375.

18. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Probably the best reverb I have used. Sold it to try something new and it was a little overwhelming for me. I would only use the presets and got a little lost turning the knobs. I have got a Blue Sky now and while the shimmer doesn't sound quite as good as the space I am happy with it at low mix settings. I have a stereo wet and its fine but I prefer the Blue Sky and the Space to it. The wet might be the most over rate pedal on TGP. It's good but the only thing it's got on the space is simplicity and price.

19. 10strings

10strings Member

I didn't like it either!! Thin, sterile, even after tweaking... Much preferred the Wet. :huh

20. alberob

alberob Member

I like mine. it takes my guitar to places it's never been before.

TheKermitC likes this.