Honey Bee and the Formula number 5

Has anyone compared these two? I currently have the Honey bee and I like it a lot. But somehow the grass always seems greener on the other side... What about using them together?

Thanks a bunch!

carljoensson

I asked Erksin how they compared. He said he couldn't dial them in to sound similar. Apparently the F5 is more aggressive. /c

Zeon45

Definitely more aggressive. Too aggressive for me. I prefered the Lovepedal Les Lius.

erksin

Currently the only two dirt pedals on my board.

The Fn5 takes up where the HBOD leaves off, gainwise. I don't think they sound similar in terms of EQing (I've never thought the HBOD sounded particularly 'tweedy'), and so they mate really well when stacking in my experience. There doesn't seem to be any overlap or cancellation of freqs to my ears.

erksin

Listen to the clips on our site. There is a video demo and some new audio we posted a few days ago under 'Lab Notes'. Some users have posted youtube vids as well.

goldie-gold

Just checked out the clips. I thought they sounded outstanding. I really liked the vibe. I also listened to the A B clips and had no idea which was which - I liked B, not sure what that means though.

I really need to pick up DLS at some point too - I'd really like to hear it in person and compare it to my current favourite Marshal-in-a-box.

Zeon45

How aggressive, like OCD/modded Tubescreamer aggressive?
Modded Tubescreamer aggressive w/out the mid-hump. Tone is a bit darker than a tubescreamer though. Not a bad pedal. It was just a littile rough for me. I prefer a smoother OD tone.

roquero

Bold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
the HoneyBee and the Formula 5 sound great together for me. I had the Formula 5 going into the HB
Great combination.
By turning the nature knob of the HB down below noon, I can dial out some of the excess top end that the F5 gives me with my Strat.
Formula 5 has way more gain on tap than the HB

gtrshow

FWIW, I liked the HBOD but never completely bonded with it. A Greer Ghetto Stomp ultimately took its spot. The FN5 is a whole 'nother breed of cat. Pure tweed Deluxe.

Trending Topics