Honey Bee, Blackstone, Timmy, Fat-Boost clips round 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6789, Jan 27, 2008.

1. 6789

6789 Member

See round one here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=344138

I decided to use the same guitar and amp. Someone suggested using a strat. I don't have one. I placed the H2 recorder closer to the speaker - about 16 inches away.

the pedals all have different settings. I could have dial less overdrive on all of the pedals. The Blackstone is set to the brown channel.

I added another pedal. The Fulltone Fat-Boost - gray version.

Both the Timmy and the Fat-Boost can also be used as Boosters to push the amp's tubes into overdrive. On these clips, they are set more like an overdrive without a lot volume boost.

Try to guess which clip is which pedal. I'll give the answer later tonight or tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6212559&q=hi
    B http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6212557&q=hi
    C http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6212554&q=hi
    D http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6212551&q=hi

Clip E is one of the same pedals as above but with less gain dialed in.
    E http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6212547&q=hi

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. jtindle

jtindle Member

I liked C then D the best.They both sounded fatter, so I'll guess one of them was the Fat Boost, probably C, and D was the TIMMY. The other 2 I won't even guess since I haven't heard either pedal live.

Jeff

3. 6789

6789 Member

Does anyone think these clips sound different, better than the first round of clips I posted? Do they show off the pedals better?

4. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Yeah it sounds better and louder. How bout doing some single line licks next? Curious.

Of these pedals I only own an old version Blackstone, but I guess its A. Its seems to be the brightest and sounds like that MOSFET thing to me

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

6. 6789

6789 Member

There doesn't seem to be much interest in round 2 so here's which pedal is which:

A: Blackstone
    B: Fat-Boost
    C: Honey Bee
    D: Timmy
    E: Honey Bee

7. jtindle

jtindle Member

Well, I got the TIMMY right! I figured the Fat Boost would have been C since it sounded the fattest. I do like that HB. I wonder if having it and the TIMMY would be redundant?

Jeff

8. 6789

6789 Member

When I made the clips, I thought the Timmy sounded the thinnest. it had less low end. The honey bee's nature was able to boost the low end turned in one direction and it can thin the sound turning in the other direction.

the pedals sound more equal on playback of the recordings. The differences in person are more noticable to me.

9. eru

eru Member

I got the blackstone and the timmy right before i scrolled down, despite the fact that this is the first time i've heard a clip of the timmy that i actually liked. Fat Boost and Honey Bee, I got backwards. But I've only heard the honey bee once before and not in person and I've never even seen the fat boost before.

I like the lower gain honey bee clip, though it doesn't seem to clean up at all when you play softer. I think what I'm looking for might be able to be done with the blackstone with different settings, though partially because of this thread, my interest in drive pedals as a whole is waning. These seem to be considered the cream of the crop for light/medium overdrive and while I haven't heard any of them live (boo no one using dealers) not one of them is blowing my hair back (read: impressing me, not literally moving air).

10. burner

burner Member

Well tonight is thw first time I've even heard of the Blackstone and I've been listening to a lot of encouraging clips of it.
    However, from the examples you've posted it was definitely not my favorite, but I did like it second to the Timmy.
    Didn't care for the other two at all....

11. woude

woude Member

Hmm, every clip has a fizzy highend hich I didn't like, but of the clips you've posted, I liked the timmy the most.

12. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

This is exactly how i'm feeling lately. I've tried quite a few od's especially lately. While most have their own unique character you can usually dial them in to sound pretty damn similiar. And from listening to clips it seems that their differences are even less pronounced once recorded. You could have told me these clips were all the same pedal with slightly different eq- ing. I think what it comes down to with drive pedals is mojo and feel, which is different for every player

13. davebc

davebc Member

Ted, Great pedals but you're scaring me a little with the whole praise:Devil :eek: :roll :roll

14. 6789

6789 Member

What's that mean??? what praise?

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Honey Bee really seems to bloom. I liked it more than my Timmy. Wow!