Honey Bee question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, May 26, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I had one a while ago but didn't get much out of it with my Fender guitars and amps. I just bought another one that'll be here by the end of the week. Is anyone here using one with Fenders? How do you make it work for your setup? I've heard they work better with humbuckers than single coils.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Basically, the HBOD likes a hot signal hitting it - you either need some high output pickups or slam it with some type of boost.

Singles/HBs - whatever, as long as they have some decent output or help from a boost you'll be golden.

3. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hmm. That's interesting. I was very happy with my HBOD tone using my P90 (pretty hot) archtop some weeks ago. Then my new tele arrived and I sort of forgot to compare the different sounds - I've just been playing the tele through the bee, but not been as happy about the tone.

Need to go home and do the homework on placement then. I could try putting the Timmy in front of it, but won't the dynamic sensitivity of the HB go away if I put another pedal inbetween? /Carl

4. Hoffe_68

Hoffe_68 Member

I love my honeybee and I use a Fender Princeton Reverb II amp and a '52 AVRI tele. So I think it works with low output pickups as well.
    It makes the amp sound more "tweedish". I have a Klon before it to goose the HB a little for solos. Works great as well.
    I use the HB with the gain on 9-10 o´clock just to fatten things up a little.
    /Thomas

5. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I use my bee with both my Teles and Strats and I love it. I do use it with a Timmy in front, but I only kick the Timmy in for solos etc. But for a great, very natural small amp rhythm crunch, the bee works great with my single coils.

6. erksin

erksin Member

It didn't in my case.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use mine set low for on the verge tone and a BB Preamp for more of a cranked tone and both for high gain. I'm happy with mine but found I can only use it set with the gain at about 10:00. HB's and SC's too.

8. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I don't have a Klon, how about RC Booster>HBOD>Timmy? Or BB Preamp>HBOD>Timmy?

9. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I have the HBDlx and its awesome I even like it better then my LDO. I use it with a strat and super reverb.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Should work.

11. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Honeybee + Fargen Blackbird 40 + Strat/Tele = freakin awesome...I love my bee and its perfect for low gain thunder....Love it Love it Love it....! Thanks Bjorn...

12. juan chaos

juan chaos Member

I use mine with a 52RI and it works well but it does like a boost in front of it. When I had a Beano Boost it would send it absolutely roaring but took away a ton of the dynamics and added more compression.

13. duende

duende Member

I use mine with a concert and a twin. I wouldn't mind having a bit more highs on tap actually, but it still works great in my set-up.

I actually prefer pedals after it with my fenders, say like a klon or super 6. As often when I goose the bee, it can get too thick and loose some of it's clarity. But with that said, it can be goosed with some success, but it depends on what pedal you use. For goosers I like the Dam Sonic Titan... those two match up really well (donner turned me on to that one)

BTW... I also use mine with SC's. Just keep the gain low and volume high. That gives you the most treble the box can provide.

14. mrMix

mrMix Supporting Member

I've been using a HBOD last in line and use it to shape the overall tone. Think of it as a small amp. I tend to like the nature knob turned to 9:00 for a maple neck and 3:00 for a rosewood.
    Strat>Wah>Tchula>HBOD>Fargen

15. stekks

stekks Member

HBOH is magic with Fender amps and guitars. I have all controls about noon, the nature is set to just dail out the woofiness.

It's no rocket science, if you can't dail it in, it isn't your pedal.