Honey Bee Vs. Tim/Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 27, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Ok, i'm on a mission.

a few weeks ago a picked a timmy. my original use for the pedal was simply to leave on all the time in order to give me a little more gain at smaller gigs. This pedal worked wonders for this situation, but my only problem with it, is that it wasn't all touch sensitive as far as cleaning up just picking attack.

about a week ago i started gassing for a BJF honey bee. from what i've read, it sounds like it could nail what i'm trying to do.

my questions are, is the honey bee going to be noticably less transparent as the timmy? does the honey respond to picking attack alot more that than the timmy? and does the TIM clean up better than the timmy?

thanks, jon

2. granite

granite Member

I have had the same thoughts as you. I really like my Timmy, but I find myself using my BJF SBEQ more often by itself. The Timmy fits a niche for me, but I don't use it as often as I thought I would. I bit the bullet and ordered a BJF Honeybee because I am looking for something more touch sensitive. My understanding is that it does "color" your sound, but in a good way. The downside, I could buy three Timmy's for the cost of the Honeybee. :(

I should say, my Timmy is going nowhere. Best $90 I ever spent.

3. themusicboxstudios

thanks. how does the sbeq work for this kind of situation?

and i totally hear you on the price ... i'm on the list for a tim and timmy, so once i get the honey bee (or other pedal) i'll know whether or not the pedal is worth the extra money or to keep the tim or timmy.

4. Craise

Craise Member

curehardy, yes the HB does this well...but you know what does the light picking=clean / heavy picking=dirty even better IMHO? You're not going to want to hear this...

The EGDM :) I played last night with it never turning it on and off...just picking dynamics...and a little bit of volume knob. The EGDM worked great for this.

5. themusicboxstudios

6. Craise

Craise Member

I know, I know...I bought, sold then rebought my EGDM! I didn't know about the trim pot and in the first one I bought it was turned down and was kinda muddy. With my 2nd one I tweeked it and now it KILLS through my 64 princeton reverb. I own the EGDM, DR, HB and LGW and will never sell them. IMHO I think they are hands down the best playing and sounding overdrive pedals I have ever played. I know it's crazy to say...but I'm truly done looking at overdrives.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hello Craise F. Kirk! Where is the trim pot in the EGDM?
    I just got mine but haven't been able to plug it in yet. I opened it up
    though but couldn't find a trim pot. This is serial number 12 so it's quite an early one. Could it be so that the trim pot was added later?

8. themusicboxstudios

its a little brown thing located above the input jacks. you may have to peel back the padding a little bit. it's to the right of the pedal.

9. Craise

Craise Member

toneranger...curehardy's right...but I have a feeling the early ones don't have a trip pot. I think this is one of the changes in the EGDM from older to newer ones. Might want to e-mail dean(pinkstrat) or donner or bjorn himself.

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks dudes.. I didn't see a pot there, I peeled the padding quite much.. Well, I'll plug it in tomorrow and if it's right it's right! :) I don't mind if there's not a trim pot, I prefer simplicity if the sound is right from the get go.

11. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Toneranger,

EGDM #12 does not have a trimpot, this was added later on to make the EGDM work on more ampbrands than at first intended.
    Treble was set just right for the intended amp brand but needed trimming for the pedal to work on the brighter amps.
    The earlier version of EGDM also has a bit more gain, but feedback proved that most users wanted control over the lower gain portions.
    You will find a post on this topic at the Toyz forum

Should you desire the control this trimmer gives or need any advice or other service send me a mail.

At your service
    BJ

Oh I got a Timmy too the other day and it combines well with most of my models.......Timmy feeding HB is, well TV distortion galore....:BEER

12. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Björn,

thank you so much for chiming in! I'll check out the Toyz forum.. I can't wait to plug this thing in! It looks and feels really good..

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Guys,

Is the HB anywhere close to being in the same ballpark as the Skreddy Screwdriver? People refer to both as being very touch sensitive and dynamic. How about the "voicings"?

14. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Anybody try an HB with a EL84 amp like my TopHat CR?

Joe

15. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Interesting story there Joe......I had a Honey Bee for a brief time in October, and I thought it sounded great with my Top Hat CR 2x12. But I was dying to try an Eternity, and sold the Bee to fund that. Had the Eternity for a while and really dug that as well, but I sold it to fund my purchase of 2 Throbak pedals. Those I kept, but I was dying to try a Hotcake so I ordered one of those. The Hot Cake was a great match with the Top Hat.....
    BUT......
    I just got a DVD copy of a cable access TV show my band did in October when I had the Honey Bee on my board. After one listen/viewing of the DVD, I realized I had the right sound with the Honey Bee. So, the Hot Cake is going back and I've ordered another Bee. The Honey Bee has a dynamic feel and richness that is unmatched IMO. I was considering the EGDM as well, but I think the Bee's low gain structure will respond better to the 2 Throbak pedals I'm going to run in front of it. I use humbuckers most of the time, and I think the Honey Bee melds well with these. The Honey Bee is smooth and syrupy and gives whatever amp you're playing the "feel" of a small amp. Imagine plugging into a small Supro or Champ and running that sound into your Top Hat....it's a beautiful thing.
    If you're determined to get a Vox-like sound out of your CR, the EGDM is probably a better choice, but if you want to add some sweet goo to blend with the natural chime of the Top Hat, the Bee is where it's at.
    I feel very blessed to have been able to try some of the best OD's in the biz (Eternity, CJOD, HotCake) in the meantime, but I feel the need to go back to the Honey Bee.
    Hope that helps...;)

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I own the HB, EGDM, and the SBEQ. Bjorn's stuff knocked many others boutique pedals off my board. I use these with my Tele and Tophat Club Royale 2X12.

Compared to the EGDM, the HB is smoother and rounder and can be set to add bass if desired. I like to add a touch of bass to the CR sometimes and this really does the trick. It is more transparent than most pedals and I like the coloration when I want some Honey added to the sound. It is so smooooooooooth!! The name really suits it very well.

The EGDM is more of a Distortion and is the perfect match for the CR to me. Where the HB adds warmth and roundness, the EG adds crunch, chime and grind. It can be set for boost, OD or Distortion. It is voiced more like a Vox with emphasis on the mids and highs depending on how it's set. It is most like the CR's natural tube distortion. I set the CR for clean and then use the EG for drive at lower volumes. I love Tom Petty-ish sounds and the EG can cover this and then go to some serious vox like overdrive! It must be said that no pedal can reach the fullness and richness of the CR's natural tube distortion....but...BJF is the closest I think you will ever find.

Now, on to the Timmy. I owned a Timmy and compared it side by side with my EGDM. The Timmy is the most transparent OD I have ever heard but I liked the texture of the EG much better (and it was not far behind in transparency either). The EG seemed more natural and rich to me and could basically cover the Timmy's territory and more. It replaced the Timmy and another very popular drive pedal for me. The SBEQ is very nearly as transparent as the Timmy also but melds more naturally with my amp.

The Honey Bee compared to the Timmy? Well, I kept the HB. It's "thick and chewy" drive character and touch responsiveness are more pleasing to my ear.

It should be noted that with BJF's pedals, if you push the pedals Volume with the Drive set lower, you get more "transparency" and punch. But, if you push the pedal's Drive and lower it's Volume, the pedal adds more character and sustain. There are many, many shades in between.

For me, the buck honestly stops with BJF. Thanks Dean!!

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Well much as I liked the Honey Bee, ultimately I sold it and am left with my Timmy.

I found the Honey Bee did smooth out the tone thru my BFDR, but it also took away some of the complexity I enjoy with my Timmy. And I found that the gain could get fuzzy in a hurry past a certain point, I preferred the gain tone from the Timmy. Plus I found the 'nature' knob (tone), great as it was, limiting.

Just another opinion. They're both excellent pedals and I think it really gets subjective, as I can see how some would like the HB better... as is often said here, you gotta try em yourself to really know.

18. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Gary, thanks for the comments and thanks for saving me $. I have slowly collected a few choice boxes that are used every day by talking to you guys. I am sure that I would have wasted alot of green going through pedals if I had not frequented this board!
    I will order a HB for an addition to the OD and distortion boxes that I already have. I already have the EGDM and like it alot. I am still toying with the controls but it definitely does something that I can't do with anything else that I have tried.

Joe

19. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Ask Dean aka Pinkstrat on this forum. He's a USA dealer. PM him.

20. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

How well does the HB work over a slightly overdriven amp?

Joe