Honeybeest vs. Screwdriver dlx for vintage sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rochell59, Feb 15, 2012.

1. rochell59

rochell59 Supporting Member

Hi friends,

I have owned a Screwdriver in the past. It's been a few years, but I remember it sounding pretty vintage ala early Page: exploding small combo with fuzzy edges. I sold it because I got tired of using the actual screwdriver. I wanted knobs.

I own a Lunar Module Deluxe.

From what I've heard, the Honey Beest sounds like a large tweed/supro. I'm not too interested on the Honey Bee. I'd like to have a little bit more gain available. But, who knows? I play humbuckers and the Bee might be enough. Thoughts?

Can the Skreddy sound like the Beest? I'm looking for something with nice mids, vintage sounding, doesn't get buried in a full band mix and stackable with a Timmy or EP boost.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. rochell59

3. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

If you play humbuckers and you want some mids to help cut through the mix, and stacking, you've just described the HBOD's specialty. It's got enough gain on-tap especially with humbuckers to get you there.

4. melven62

melven62 Member

I played humbuckers and never found it lacking in gain

5. rochell59

Thanks!
    Any Honey Beest/Screwdriver owners care to chime in?

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have both and they are my two main dirt boxes. It would be hard to choose between the two really. The SD Dlx can have a little more bite dialed in, but they are both great sounding od's that can be set to sound like a real tube amp's breakup.

7. rochell59

Thanks!

I'll be stacking it, so I'm wondering if the pregain on the Beest would be overkill. Thoughts?

Also, I'll be selling my Nord to fund the purchase. Don't mind.

8. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

I haven't got a Beest, but I have got a Bee and the SDD. I've tried goosing the Bee with a boost which I imagine gets it pretty close to the Beest.

I would say, for the sound you're after, the SDD is probably a better fit as it does indeed have that slight fuzz thing going on. The Bee I don't consider at all fuzz-like in character but it certainly sounds amazing all the same.

Other difference include:
    - The Bee responds more to picking dynamics (although the SDD is no slouch in this regard)
    - The SDD can be dialled to have a flatter EQ than the Bee, and is more tweakable EQ wise in general.

Btw, they make an awesome stack, as others have pointed out!

9. rochell59

10. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Bumping old thread. Anyone else have thoughts on this subject? Honey Beest Incoming and I have a LMMD and SDMD on my board. Kinda thinking one has to go, but not sure. Skreddy into HBOD/HBEEST or vice versa? Too much the same, or just enough variation? I run a Sunface also, with Flint and ARDX20, sometimes a Orange Juicer comp.