Hook one amps to another amp's effects loop?

D.J.

Okay guys, I got one for you. You may all think I’m dumb, and I probably am, but I’m geeking out over here and want to know if I could possibly run one amp into another amp’s effects loop.

Here’s what I got:
A little 15w Line6 Spider IV with onboard effects and then a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212.

Here's why I want to do it:
Obviously the Fender has no effects, so I was thinking it would be cool if I could use the Spider as a pedal. The DeVille has Preamp Out/Power Amp in. The Spider only has IN and a 1/4 inch headphones out. Is it possible to run out of the Preamp Out on the Fender into the Input of the Spider, and then out of the Spider’s Headphones Out into the Power Amp In of the Fender? Or will I blow something up?

ProfRhino

Okay guys, I got one for you. You may all think I’m dumb, and I probably am, but I’m geeking out over here and want to know if I could possibly run one amp into another amp’s effects loop.

Here’s what I got:
A little 15w Line6 Spider IV with onboard effects and then a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212.

Here's why I want to do it:
Obviously the Fender has no effects, so I was thinking it would be cool if I could use the Spider as a pedal. The DeVille has Preamp Out/Power Amp in. The Spider only has IN and a 1/4 inch headphones out. Is it possible to run out of the Preamp Out on the Fender into the Input of the Spider, and then out of the Spider’s Headphones Out into the Power Amp In of the Fender? Or will I blow something up?
basically, asking beats messing up - good on you ! :aok

you might not blow up the neighborhood, dunno, but I guarantee you it will sound horrible.
Levels and impedances are anything but compatible, and this matters. :dunno

mind you, this is not a general no-no, it depends.
with similarly spec'd loops, e.g. between Boogies or Redplates, it is perfectly acceptable to use a 2nd amp's power amp via the FX return, maybe for a stereo setup, or just for fun (different power tubes ?)

in your case, why not go for one of those super affordable multi-FX to get a feeling for what you like, and get more specific later ?
or find yourself a cheap old SE50, SPX, Intellifex or G-Major !

just be aware that some FX (OD, boost, wah etc) need to sit in front of the amp, and the better ones are all analog, while time based FX can go anywhere in theory, but usually sound way better in a loop (and most are digital).

else, you will find an overwhelming amount of info and discussion here, learn to use the search function, it is really good !
(considering your 2 posts, this is meant in a helpful spirit, not as an attack !)

ymmv,
Rhino

oh, and welcome, of course ! :)

mlj_gear

The likelihood of doing damage to anything by using such a setup is very low, but it would probably sound pretty bad.

It looks like one pre-amp model or another is always on when using the Spider. Even the "clean" channel uses a pre-amp model. Hence you'd be running though the HRD's pre-amp, then through the Spider's pre-amp model. Who knows what it would sound like exactly, but probably not great.

While we are not talking about anything like speaker-level signals here, and hence the likelihood of damage is low, the signal from the HRD's preamp out jack may or may not be at a level or impedance that is a good mach for the instrument level in on the Spider. Same for the signal form the headphone jack to the power amp in jack. It's possible that a really hot preamp out signal from some amp might hurt the Spider, but the loop on a HRD is really made for pedals, and hence it probably won't be too far from the sort of level that the Spider wants to see. [Edit: I checked the manual for the HRD, and it's not going to hurt anything.]

It doesn't seem like there's any way to turn off stereo on any of the Spider's effects, so you'd be likely to get some really weird things going on by dropping one of two stereo channels when you send the signal back to the HRD.

If you did want to do this, it would probably sound (marginally) better if you just bypassed the HRDs preamp altogether and used the Spider's preamp by plugging the guitar into the Spider and then running a cable from the heaphone jack to the power amp in. It would still likely sound pretty bad, though.

Edit: Someone else already replied, and there is some overlap in our posts, but anyway...

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
For grins I ran a line out from a SCXD into a Laney GH50L fx line, out to a couple of RWB cabs, and it sounded killer.

FbIsNotE

I giggled a Mesa Subway Rocket and 1st generation Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for a lot of years.

I used these in several configs depending on the situation. One of those was the Mesa Fx loop send feeding the Peavey power amp = Fx return.

I used a Lexicon rack piece as the interface.

It sounded amazing! The Mesa gave the Peavey a ferocioussness and flexibility it could never have otherwise. The Peavey gave the Mesa the volume and projection it didn't have.

There are a lot of ways to mix different amps signal and there is a lot of amazing tones to be had.

An Ebtech Hum Eliminator (2 channel transformer isolation ) kept ground loop misery to a minimum.

TLDR: DO IT! Make sure to do it correctly.

D.J.

Thought I had replied here but looks like it didn't go through. Thanks a lot for your thoughtful answers, guys. In the end, I'm still too scared to run out of the Spider's headphones out into the poweramp of the fender. Read some things about the headphones out being more high powered than I thought. I ended up running: guitar>Fender front end>Fender pre-amp out>Spider In. Got a stereo thing going and the effects from the Spider side only. Tweaking the volumes to the right place it sounds okay.

Axe-Man

I've done this plenty. You just need to make sure the tube amps have a load.

For example: Tube amp A FX send into Tube amp B FX return. A acts as the preamp and B acts as the poweramp. B will have a speaker attached but as long as A also has a load (speaker, reactive load etc) then it's fine.

Sometimes you can get hum and you need to often connect something in the middle (like a modeller or MFX unit that has a MV) as power amps run at full power and are LOUD if you run a preamp into them and don't attenuate the volume (that is what a MV does).

A SS amp does not need a load.

FX in a digital amp maybe after the FX loop but could be before.

Trending Topics