Hooking up a guitar on two amps.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bong, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bong

Bong Member

I'd like hooking up a regular (no stereo) Gibson ES-335 guitar on two amps. Could it be done? what kind of cable should I use?

Regards.

2. bettiefan

bettiefan Member

You could use an A/B/Y box that allows you to split the signal. Feeding two amps simultaneously loads your pickups differently than just going into one, so you may or may not like the results. You could always plug into a stereo delay pedal with a wet and dry out, then set the delay as short as possible. 20ms or so should get you a pretty fat tone.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

You could use a stereo effect pedal too, say a chorus or somthing.

4. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

Lehle P Split will assure you get maximum performance and no noise

Andy

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

The Y cable will work, but being a technoid I like to buffer the outputs. The stereo Chorus as noted about, even when off, will work here.

The problem with the Y cable is you're adding more capacitance and it can adversely affect the tone of the guitar due to the interaction with the inductance of the pickup(s). This is a well known phenomena with moving coil phono users and, in my opinion, spawned the whole boutique cable industry.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I bought a passive Conquest DI box for splitting a guitar signal. $35 new at the local mom n' pop store. Works great for its inteded use as well.

7. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Radial Big Shot ABY has a switch for polarity and ground lift. About $85 list I got mine for $60 brand new. Works great.

8. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Whirlwind ABY Box GOOOOD. Others BAAAD. Just kidding. Whirlwind is nice though.

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Dave Barbers Launch Pad works perfect. You can use the outputs to adjust the volume of each amp.