1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hooking up a speaker - stupid question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by homerayvaughan, Dec 11, 2005.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have a '66 Princeton reverb that I installed a new Weber 10f150, and it sounds like ass. Is it the speaker, or could I have possibly installed it incorrectly? What would happen if I switched the wires around? It's very tinny sounding right now, and if I put any OD pedal infront of it it sounds evenb worse. When I plus the amp into my 2x12 cab it sounds great, so I know it has to be the speaker.

2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

You can try this;

Get a 9VDC battery and touch it onto your guitar cord (no guitar connected) with the other end plugged into the amp. Touch the + side of the battery to the tip of the guitar cord and the - side of the battery to the sleeve. Make sure that the volume on the amp is turned down to just a little volume. Observe the speaker cone movment. If it 'fires' or moves forward, then everything is correct.

3. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

ACTUALLY, get a 9V battery- preferably run down to around 7 or 8 volts.

Unplug speaker.

Touch the + side of the battery to the tip and the - side to the sleeve.

The speaker cone should move out, i.e. forward.

If it moves backwards, i.e. toward the basket then it is "out-of-phase".
    REVERSE THE LEADS.

Your symptom sounds like an out-of-phase speaker to me... I test every one in the way nmentione4d above before I listen to it. Even worse is a 2 X or 4X with one or more out-of-phase.

Yeah I do this everyday for a living-
    Jon

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

Often new speakers need some time to break in before they'll sound right. My Jensen C12N sounded like ass when I first installed it. I was ready to send it back but a friend talked me into connecting it to my stereo and running it for about 6 hours. It sounds great now.

Give that a shot, or contact Ted Weber and ask him for advise. He's really a very helpful guy.

5. Vintage Jon,
    You mentioned something interesting to me. Out of phase... Have you been to the Germino site? They sample speakers in various out of ohm range. What is that all about? I thought you had to have 8 ohm speakers played at 8 ohms?
    Now my dumb question. When hooking up speakers in a cab, how do you do that? What is the correct way? Series or two positives to the positive and two negs to the neg socket? I have a Marshall 50 watt 1972 amp. I also have the shell of an old Vox Buckingham Cabinet. I want to put two kick butt speakers in them. Some friends say put two 12s others say put two or four 10s. Any thoughts?
    thanks
    tony

6. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Ummm... there's out of phase and then there's out of phase. In a single speaker amp like a Princeton the speaker can be out of phase with the guitar, but that tends to affect attack. There's nothing "wrong" with hooking up a speaker (or a cabinet) in this style of out-of-phase. There was even a thread in amps & cabs a while back discussing the relative merits.

The other out of phase is one or more speakers connected with opposite polarity with respect to the other speakers in the same rig. It's this situation that sounds like someone cut a hole in the middle of the music, but you can't get there with just one speaker. Said another way, it doesn't matter which way the cone moves with the battery test if there's only one speaker.

Evil tinniness -- could be new speaker needing breakin (the Webers are a bit harsh fresh out of the box, but they smooth out nicely), could be a bad speaker or a -really- bad soldering job. Stick a multimeter on the speaker plug and see if it reads outside the 6-8 ohm range.

Edit: Webers also have notoriously tight tolerances. If you over-tighten or unevenly tighten the mounting hardware you can warp the basket. Never more than hand-tight is the rule.

7. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

To echo what has already been said a couple of times here, Weber speakers take more time to break in than any other speakers I have experienced. Until broken in, they will seem punchy, with uneven response, and can be unpleasent. When broken in, they are sweet, but this of does depend on the model chosen being the best choice to do what you want in a given amp.

On that note, personally, I would have chosen something warmer, with a lower power rating for that amp like a 10F100.