1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Hopefully THIS will solve my tuning issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ColdFrixion, Jul 10, 2020.

1. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

I'm quoting myself because although my sentiments towards that "thing" haven't changed I wasn't being constructive. I think I was just in shock. Sorry.

Every couple of months there is a post about "the Gibson problem" but in all honesty in a long lifetime of playing I haven't experienced it. I am sitting in my studio surrounded by Gibson and Gibson type headstocks (Yamaha, Tokai) and I don't experience it with any of them. I set them up myself and make sure every thing is accounted for. Sometimes with temp change they may go a little flat or sharp but even then they are still in tune.
    I just know that guitar can be made to stay in tune. Mine aren't the only ones in the Universe. They are not unique. I am not a genius. Over the internet I can't say what is wrong with your guitar and why it won't stay in tune.
    There has to be a weak link in the chain, maybe how the strings are put on, maybe the bridge, bridge post holes, maybe the nut depth and width and shape, maybe the tuners.

I do understand you are having problems but there has to be a way of correcting it without resort to those......

Anyway Good Luck, I hope they work for you.

Oh one question : Do you topwrap? Sometimes , depending on the string make, the wrap can bind on the bridge holes and then ping free once enough tension has been put on it in tuning. This applies to all of the strings though but mostly the wound strings as the wrap is bigger.

2. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

With enough time, I'm sure I could get to the bottom of it. But assuming this thing works, it's just a hell of a lot more convenient, for me anyway. To be honest, it doesn't look like any more of an eyesore than a lot of other locking systems I've used.

TA22GT likes this.
  3. '63-Strat

'63-Strat Member

I used to have issues with tuning on Gibsons when I first started playing them years ago but this solved it.

1. Properly cut nut including angling back towards tuners as said.
    2. Graphitall on all contact points (same idea as nut sauce just prefer graphitall)
    3. Stringing strings in the over/under or locking method, this is very important.
    4. And of course stretching new strings properly.

If still having problems I suspect one of the above steps wasn’t done properly. I have stock tuners on my lp/Sg/335 and no tuning issues fwiw.

GaryMcT likes this.
  4. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

[​IMG]

Put the strings on like this. Look closely at the A string how it is locked in place by the wrap at the top. It is rock solid.
    Put it through the slot, wind the first wrap over the top and the rest underneath.
    Apologies if you already do that. :)

joelster and '63-Strat like this.
  5. lns

lns Member

Not the same because you don’t bend as much & the strings are heavier

6. Arcadia

Arcadia Supporting Member

People really put this crap on their guitars?

7. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

First time seeing a locking system?

8. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

I started doing this to my gibson a year ago and it definitely holds tune a bit better... I was fairly suprised how much something this small could help.

You should have just bought a music man. The 4x2 headstock with locking tuners can take some serious bends and stay in tune. If that's not enough you belong in Floyd Rose territory.

TA22GT likes this.
  9. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Yup. I do this as well. I also grab the strings around the twelfth fret and give a them good yank several times when re-stringing. First I roughly tune the guitar and then give the strings a yank. Then I tune it for real and yank em again. Lather, rinse, repeat a couple times...

TA22GT likes this.
  10. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Keeping the guitar in tune is just a lot of small things that add up.

Scott Naylor likes this.
  11. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

This may very well address the problems others are experiencing but it won’t do anything for me and my LP G string blues, given that I have locking tuners. Apart from headstock design, my nut seems to be the culprit. Even with Nut Sauce. As I mentioned, I negotiated a free set up on it as part of a bigger gear deal. It goes in this week. Looking forward to seeing what they can do for me. Happy to spring for a new nut if that’s what they recommend. Or maybe even a String Butler! That G string goes out of tune within a few minutes of playing. Total PITA. I am so tired of hearing the *ping* noise when I retune. Clearly it’s the nut.

TA22GT likes this.
  12. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I play in a band with a guy who says this exact thing. He would swear until his dying breath that his Les Paul NEVER, not once, has ever had a tuning issue. On occasion, he's even said it while he's retuning his Les Paul, which he does between every song. :dunno

halcyon, GaryMcT and rizla like this.
  13. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Yes there should be no Ping! It's grabbing in the nut but then bending a string or tuning up sets it free and Ping! Just rectifying that will make a huge difference. As I said earlier, it's a lot of small things.
    Good luck with the tech.

David Garner likes this.
  14. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Telling people they don't experience what they experience is a sure-fire way to get them to see your point of view :bonk

GaryMcT and SweetClyde99 like this.
  15. IanRubbish

IanRubbish Supporting Member

I would never put one of these on my Les Paul, i know how to set them up so they are in tune without some contraption. But not everybody is so inclined, some people are not handy with setups and something like this is a godsend for them.
    Some people just like to play and not tinker, and stuff like this is for them. Once you get around the tuning issue, and you learn not to lean your Les Pauls up against furniture so they don't fall down and break, they are great guitars that should be played more then they should be poked and prodded. Excelsior.

GaryMcT and David Garner like this.
  16. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

All original band, 9 songs in 45 minutes. There ain't no time for that. Lol

TheClev and David Garner like this.
  17. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

I should add that my strings should have been changed a while ago and a fresh application of Nut Sauce added. When I do that, most of the tuning madness disappears. At least for a while. Because I am bringing it in to the tech this week, I figured I would hold off on the restringing and hand him the fresh set of strings instead. Plus I got a new Tele a month ago, which has become my go-to. The strings on my LP should have been changed long ago.

That said, clearly there is an issue with the nut on my LP. Without the Nut Sauce it’s a frustrating experience.

TA22GT likes this.
  18. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

No one said that, at least I didn't. Simply that there's fixes that don't require a bunch of ugly ass, heavy, steel bandaids bolted all over your guitar. Somehow or another people have been able to play and record with LPs successfully for like 70+ years without the need for them.

Clearly.....ymmv.

TheClev likes this.
  19. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

On that, we can certainly agree. We've gotten pretty good at talking to the audience and cracking jokes to make up for the extra tuning time he needs, but I wish we didn't need to. And I wasn't disputing what you said. I was merely pointing out that a lot of people aren't honest with themselves about guitar flaws when they're especially fond of a brand or an instrument. YMMV, FWIW and all the standard disclaimers.

David Garner likes this.
  20. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

I was referring to the response to what you said and was just quoting you to provide context -- I fully agree with you. I play gigs between 45 min. and 2 hours or so and while I check tuning on whatever guitar I'm playing as time permits (not between every song though), I never have any issues with any of them going out of tune. Usually if I'm tuning a guitar it's one I haven't played in the set yet, or one that has been sitting on stage for a while unplayed. Temperature changes, the lights, much less weather for outdoor gigs, all cause wood and steel to contract and expand. So I do tune them when I pick them up. Thing is, I don't have to re-tune after every song. I check them every few songs if I can, and they never require more than the most minute (and inaudible) correction.

I fully understand some folks have tuning issues with their LPs. I am of the opinion that those tuning issues can usually be fixed. I have two that hold tune just fine, so I don't think they're unicorns (put another way, I've never owned an LP that didn't stay in tune as well as my other guitars). I grant that some tuning issues cannot be fixed. Some guitars are just dogs. What I object to is people telling those of us who do not have tuning issues with LPs that, in reality, we do and we're either too thick or tin-eared to notice. Because that's just dumb.

GaryMcT likes this.