1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Hopefully THIS will solve my tuning issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ColdFrixion, Jul 10, 2020.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Here I go again... there are a great many of us who've gigged dozens and dozens of guitars, set up by good or great luthiers, and had the same experience with Les Pauls, 335's and SGs but not Strats or Teles or even other set-neck guitars with angle headstocks and break angles at the nut. No, I don't have the answer... I wish I did, but I've experienced this for 48 years now.

One slim data point... I know a career player who actually makes a decent living playing guitar and just bought his first LP (he's been a Tele guy for decades). When I asked him about it, he said, "well, I tried a couple of them. What's the deal with keeping the G string in tune on a Les Paul?"

2. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

So explain the countless artists and recordings these guitars are on. How about all the stages they've graced all over the world? I don't think the problem is with the guitars.

3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

You can suspect the nut all day long. This isn't my first rodeo, and many other working session artists have had similar issues. If you don't and haven't, great.

4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

If their guitars stayed perfectly in tune, none of them would use tuners.

5. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

No one said anything like that. That would be stupid. They do manage to get them in tune and keep them there long enough to perform, though. I never even heard of these supposed issues until TGP came along.

6. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

What issues? I never said anything about not being able to keep my LP in tune long enough to play a song. That's independent of my wanting better tuning stability.

7. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Mine stay tuned for a set, not one song.

8. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

It doesn't mean they can't be brought in tune or gigged... I gigged many many Gibsons over many years. And back before we all had electronic tuners with mutes, it was accepted that live arena music meant out of tune guitars. And back then a lot of us would make corrections by holding a chord and getting the offending string as close as possible with the right hand.

I actually had this conversation IRL with a great local player who's been playing the same LP since the late '70's. He swore he never had tuning issues, but he subconsciously tuned up all the time without even thinking about it. And in the pre-Internet days, it seemed to be one of those things everyone knew... if you had a Les Paul or anything with a floating trem, you had to know how to get it in tune on the fly.

P.S. - I should add that not every non-Gibson I ever had was immune... for a couple of years I did specialty gigs with a Variax and the same problem... had the nut slots cut on a setup for .011s, then a new nut with angled cuts, then replaced the tuners, but it always came out the same.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

I don't ever do that. Learning how to properly string and tune my guitar has made life easy. All guitars have their foibles and we learn how to deal with them. I do have a light touch, though.

10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Great, and plenty of touring musicians tune between songs. You can clearly see that in numerous YouTube videos.

MikeMcK likes this.
  11. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Sure, no matter what kind of guitar you play. You tune when you can. It's usually just touching up.

12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Which is still tuning. The fact is, plenty of touring musicians don't perform an entire set without tuning.

David Garner likes this.
  13. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Which you have to do to every guitar in the world unless it has a locking vibrato system or a nutbuster.

David Garner likes this.
  14. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Obviously, every guitar has to be tuned. The point is, I want to be able to play as long as possible (preferably for hours) without doing so. To me, rock solid tuning stability means not having to touch up every song.

15. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Good luck with your quest.

16. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

So, Coldfrixion, did the NutBuster work for you?

I bought one, but immediately after having it installed on my Strat realized a tragic design flaw:

Once it's in place, you can't access the trussrod!!

Doh!
    :facepalm:bkw

It was useless for me, since it blocked access to the trussrod hole on my Strat when it was in place.

I was really ticked off, because I have clinical Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and being out of tune is crippling to my ability to enjoy and play music. I had such high hopes for this thing.

Next, I'll probably look into a locking Super Vee trem. I got the locking Wilkinson saddles, but they don't solve my problem to my satisfaction.

17. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I didn't get to test it extensively because I had to remove the truss rod cover in order to install it, and that was a deal breaker for me, but my situation is extremely atypical from what I understand.

18. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

I once had a 1970s Les Paul come through where the bridge and tailpiece had been welded into place (Technically, brazed, but hey...). People do all kinds of crazy things to keep their guitar "in tune".
    The idea that a guitar should be tuned once and stay perfectly in tune while you rock out on it for a couple hours is just that, an idea. The very nature of stringed instruments and materials is working against attempts to do so. Body temperature and humidity will affect stability, plus, there's the "original sin" of the guitar- that it cannot have perfect intonation through all chords and keys, which is often mistaken for "tuning problems".
    Simply have pity on those who are on that perpetual Snipe hunt for "stays in perfect tune for hours". Sure, there are plenty of things one can do to eliminate problems but there's a point at which you should be satisfied that you've addressed them, and putting a big ugly chunk of machined metal behind the nut is definitely hovering over that line, IMO.

19. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I've had guitars that could stay in tune with very minor drift for a couple of hours, and I've used guitars that had a lot of drift after 20 minutes. Not sure why a "big ugly chunk of machined metal" is any different when it's the NutBuster vs. some other locking system.

20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Do you really have to adjust your truss rod that often that the Nutbuster being there is a problem? :huh
    A Super Vee will not help one bit.