Hoqw much difference do you think a different transformer makes in a build

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Just wondering as my 5e3 was from a Zenith Chassis with a Zenith PT and a stancor OT. though I figured the transformers should work as the tubes were the same except for the octal preamp tube which was changed to a 12ay7/12ax7 tube type. I built the amp and it sounds great! For my new 5f4 build the trannies are as follows and I was told on an other board by PM it will not be a true 5f4 due to the different trannies. The turret board will be a 5f4 and the tubes will be the same as will the controls ect so how much differnce will these trannies make?
    So I wonder how much the transformers have to do with making things different.
    For my 5f4 build I am working on now I have the chassis and PT out of a Hammond Tone Cabinet and the PT is a Hammond Tranny AO 20927-10 which is a 360 0 360 V and the Output tranny came out of a Peavey Duel amp that had 4 6l6s. I was told I could not use the OT (s) that was origionally on the chassis, as it was from a 2 channel (treble and bass one pair each 6v6 running each channel with a separate bass and treble OT ) amp and I am running two 6l6s. Peavey and some one else told me I could use this Peavey OT only since it was for a 120 watt amp and I was using only two 6l6;s instead of 4 the OT would read differently and you shift the taps so I will not use the 4 ohm tap as the amp now would see it as 2 ohms and the taps I am using the 8 ohm tap will now be for 4 ohms and the 16 ohm tap will be for the 8 ohm tap. So I wonder now much of a difference using them trannies will make than buying trannies for a 554 build? I think they should work fine. Opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I answered the impedance question in the other thread, Peavey has it backwards. As to the sound, as an example I bought a 66 AC30 that had a replaced OT. It was "correct" in giving the right impedance to the tubes but it sounded frankly terrible. I replaced it with a MM and the amp sounds as good as my 65 Candy Panel AC30. If you like the sound of the Peavey amps (pretty generic 6L6 tone with good bass IIRC) then, by all means use the OT. If you want it sound like a real 5F4, buy the right OT, it makes a HUGE difference in the sound...

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK Peavey said I could run a 4 ohm cab using the 8 ohm tap. What your saying it is a mismatch. Still safe?

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Peavey was wrong.

Pull 2 tubes & you go UP, not down.

8 ohm tap wants a 16 ohm load....not 4.

WHat you propose is bad.

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Yea I answered at the other post thanks for the info I rewired the jacks and capped off the 16 ohm tap. So is a mismatch safe for a 4 ohm cab or should I rewire it series to 16 ohms? I know Fender amps can take a mismatch but not sure if Peavey could. The only reason I would want to keep the cab at 4 ohms would be to be able to use my 5e3 head also which has a 4 ohm tap. Could there be a way to wire a switchable cab for series one way and parallel the other and be safe?