Horizon Devices : 'Precision Drive'

ColonelForbin

Looks pretty sweet! Designed with Misha Mansoor; I believe MXR will be doing the actual pedal production.

http://horizondevices.com
http://horizondevices.com/about/
https://m.facebook.com/HorizonDevices/

https://soundcloud.com/user-470887292

precision-drive.png

Our first pedal is called the Precision Drive, but it took a lot of hard work.

Too many overdrives are just copies of old circuits. They were never designed to boost high gain heads. Many of them are far too noisy, completely destroy your bass response, or are just plain cheap.

I wanted to create a fresh, new overdrive that’s envisioned from the ground up as modern design for modern musicians. I knew I would need help, so I enlisted some of my friends from Wired Guitarist, because I knew I couldn’t found a company on my own. However, none of us are electrical engineers.

I feel so lucky, because we got our first choice of pedal companies to work with us on the Precision Drive: MXR. To be honest, this was a huge relief. Making great analog pedals for over 40 years? Inventors of the Carbon Copy and Phase 90? I knew for sure that our production was solid. Then came the hard part.

Over 400 hours of R&D going into the initial circuit. More than 6 revisions just on the noise gate (yep it has a noise gate!). That wasn’t enough though. I wanted Horizon Devices from the very start to be community oriented. What if I loved the pedal and no one else did? Everyone has their blind spots.

I took everything friends, musicians, producers, and engineers have told me over their years, and combined it with specific input from over 4800 guitarists in the Horizon Devices community. That resulted in even more tweaks to the final pedal, but all of this work was worth it.

Months of setting up shipping, building websites, and getting production prepped later, we’re finally here.

Now I have a pedal in my hands that helps me focus on writing music, and avoid fighting my gear to get good tone. The best part is that everyone can have access to that now.

This story is what Horizon Devices is about. Helping the quality of life of modern musicians. Overcoming my own struggles (founding a company is hard!) and doing things right, for the right reasons.

Sincerely,
Misha Mansoor

Last edited:

downburst82

This is the last place I expected our pedal to be posted! :p
I knew it would pop up eventually, I actually almost started a thread last night but I got busy trying to get a 3 year old to GO TO SLEEEEP!!!

Really does look pretty solid I have to say. I was part of the Horizon Devices community on FB and its was cool how they took lots of feedback while designing it.
Being %100 honest the only thing that held me back from doing the preorder was I really have been trying to keep all my drives top jacks...I may still cave and get one at some point but that was the one piece of the puzzle missing for me.

Definitely a step up for Misha from Protone...seemed like there were some good idea's there but the shody build quailty and super cheap parts didnt do them any favors.

Tayhan

Does anyone know what kind of bypass it has?
I have mailed Thema directly, commented both Olas and Mishas Video in YouTube and messaged Horizon Devices via Facebook.
No one cares to answer and it has been days.

Edit: Just received a mail. It is true bypass.

Last edited:

DeadCell

So what makes this better than a tube screamer? That's by big question.

I see Misha is involved. Well, Misha also endorsed a signature overdrive by ProTone (the Bulb) just a few years back (and the Protone Misha Mansoor drive before that) ... and it was "the thing". Obviously, that's been abandoned at this point. Yet we still have tube screamers, OCD's, and other screamer-like drives covering that ground.

Why should I abandon a screamer in favor of this?

stealthtastic

So what makes this better than a tube screamer? That's by big question.

I see Misha is involved. Well, Misha also endorsed a signature overdrive by ProTone (the Bulb) just a few years back (and the Protone Misha Mansoor drive before that) ... and it was "the thing". Obviously, that's been abandoned at this point. Yet we still have tube screamers, OCD's, and other screamer-like drives covering that ground.

Why should I abandon a screamer in favor of this?

I'm obviously biased since it's my own company but this has a built in noise gate that is extremely effective, true bypass, and an attack knob. The range of the knobs is also a lot wider than normal boosts.

Simto

Hey peeps

I thought I'd bump this thread since one of my good friends got his last week so we made a video of him playing.
The pedal is ****ing awesome!!! I want one myself now! Not sure if they're sold out or how long the wait list is for them now though.
It totally and utterly kills all mud, and I bloody hate mud!

(Not me playing, but my friend Alexander. We recorded it in my basement)

Can't recommend it enough if you want that tight and aggressive tone. Love it!

Cool--that sounds pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing the settings.

Hey peeps

I thought I'd bump this thread since one of my good friends got his last week so we made a video of him playing.
The pedal is ****ing awesome!!! I want one myself now! Not sure if they're sold out or how long the wait list is for them now though.
It totally and utterly kills all mud, and I bloody hate mud!

(Not me playing, but my friend Alexander. We recorded it in my basement)

Can't recommend it enough if you want that tight and aggressive tone. Love it!

cthroatgtr

Are there any clips playing something other than metal, extended range or djent style? This pedal is intriguing but I need to hear it involving other more traditional tones to better understand its range. I currently run two ODs one for rhythm (TS style) and one for lead (Klon style) so I am curious if this would replace both or just the one for rhythm. Getting rid of the decimator would be a bonus but it would need to replace both pedals.

Godspeed64

Are there any clips playing something other than metal, extended range or djent style? This pedal is intriguing but I need to hear it involving other more traditional tones to better understand its range. I currently run two ODs one for rhythm (TS style) and one for lead (Klon style) so I am curious if this would replace both or just the one for rhythm. Getting rid of the decimator would be a bonus but it would need to replace both pedals.

The first I think Anderton's video did that, but it got taken down cause they "misunderstood" the design of the pedal. It wasn't a pretty video tho....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom