Horrible experience with AnalogMan. Delay pedal came back worse than when it left

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeAZ, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Yeah, really... (eye roll!)

MikeAZ likes this.
  2. cam0122

cam0122 Member

That's nice for you. But what does it have to do with the OP's bad experience and ruined vintage pedal?

Vhailor, Lt Dak and Lution like this.
  3. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

This place is like a bar on a Saturday night. You’ve got a handful of jerks that are looking for a fight. You’ve got a few folk who have had too much to drink and make no sense.

But most are really good guys just hanging out hoping to catch up with some friends.

And there are no good looking single women within a mile of the place.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2020
  4. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

It’s not ruined. Easy fix.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

AND he's from upstate NY.

friend33, Flatscan and chankgeez like this.
  6. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

Escapes happen in every industry. The mark of the best performers is building and continuously improving systems and culture that minimizes those escapes, and in how the inevitable escape is handled. It is unfortunate that this happened and I understand the frustration which is totally warranted. Some of us are just saying that there is reason to expect the escape to be handled well once the full picture has been escalated to Mike. I suggest this based on direct experience and evidence that the company is not systemically negligent in this area and appears to value its branding related to customer service. (Reference loop master thread for different part of the spectrum).

It’s worth pointing out that most of us are assuming you were perfectly clear in your requests and in no way contributed to the miscommunication. I’m willing to extend that presumption even though I don’t know anything about you. The thread is generally sympathetic to your experience - albeit with mixed reviews on your decision to escalate hear before talking to Mike. Not knowing the context of your prior communication, I will defer to your judgment on that aspect and just hope it works out for you.

7. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Maybe I’m alone on this, but I would never mail a pedal out for mods. If I felt I wanted something more from that pedal, I would buy something else.

The market is flooded with tons of choices. No builder has magic pixie dust to make your tone 100% better than the next builder.

josephpnorman, Lution and ben777 like this.
  8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I can sympathize with the OP and given Hogy’s response there’s no question that there’s merit to it.

Mike was in the hospital I recall. I hope he’s recovering nicely and can address your concerns in due time.

There appears to be a disconnect with some of his team, but it’s hard to imagine that such a valuable and upstanding member of this forum would knowingly treat any customer this way.

My best guess is that given the scale of his operation some duties are outsourced to less meticulous individuals (as the timing capacitor misterminated seems to indicate).

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    ShredSquatch likes this.
  9. SpectralJulian

SpectralJulian Member

Dude said he emailed 50 times over the last 5 months. If someone is doing a job for you and you keep asking "is it done, is it done, is it done," they're going to forget to cross a t or dot an i.

I don't know what their workload is but I wouldn't be surprised to get a 6-12 month turnaround time from any small company doing repairs/mods.

Maybe I've just got a lot going on in my life, but if I send an email to someone doing work for me I'll wait a week or two before sending another and try my best not to rush them because I'd rather have them take their time and get my order right.

10. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Maybe the guys at Vertex can fix your pedals?!? :dunno

:hide2

tonedover, baj2k, Lt Dak and 5 others like this.
  11. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

You folks helping the OP by checking out his pedal gut pics are awesome!

ckfoxtrot, fitzo, Lt Dak and 11 others like this.
  12. bean

bean Supporting Member

Look again. It appears to be wired positive ground. It needs an isolated supply or battery. Also look at the wire from the ring of the input jack to the dc jack. It's not clipped and appears to be touching the enclosure.

Mattyc, tawtaw, scook and 6 others like this.
  13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

What ask have you made of @analogmike to resolve this and what was his response? Be specific please.

14. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Granted, I haven’t built a pedal in a while and wired a jack, but I’m seeing the negative leads hooked up to the center lug. What am I missing here?

Edit: I see. We are talking about two different things. It is definitely positive ground, but the jack is wired center negative. There was discussion earlier that it might be wired in a way that would require a reversed polarity plug.

15. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

Was there a follow up this theory? Sounds plausible.

16. Fr3shMak3r

Fr3shMak3r Whatever Gold Supporting Member

Oh, thank you White Knight of TGP! Whatever would we all do without your valiant defense of our honor?

mojo_pin, Vhailor, TheoFender and 9 others like this.
  17. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

It’s wired center negative. As long as it was isolated this is a dead end.

As bean mentioned though, if you zoom in you can see a lead on the jack shorting to the enclosure. Whoever worked on the OP’s fuzz face and DMM was having a rough day.

scook and Algebraist like this.
  18. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

You are right about that lead on the jack shorting to the enclosure. It took me some more zooming in to see it.

scook likes this.
  19. nac9

nac9 Member

COVID has been 1/3rd of the last 6 months, not even a big part. Nothing is worse than people who don't answer more than one question at a time. It's my biggest pet peeve because it's so inexcusable. Did they not see the multiple questions next to each other? Did they see them but think they only needed to answer one? Do they plan on answering the others later? Did they get so excited answering one question they completely forgot there were others to attend to? This has nothing to do with this thread because I have no experiences either way, but i reminded me of how annoying that can be.

Vhailor, TheoFender, crosse79 and 5 others like this.
  20. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

COVID is an excuse to spend MORE time answering emails...not less. I have seen several companies get worse at it and it makes no sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.