Hosting a Jam question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wbm68, Jan 27, 2015.

1. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Hopefully I am in the correct forum category here.

When I go to a jam I bring a guitar, tuner, cables and a pedal or two expecting there really only to be an amp.

When I host a (rock) jam, I frequently see people showing up without guitar cables, without tuners, without any kind of pedals and sometimes without even a guitar and surprisingly many times without guitar picks.
    I usually provide a Deluxe Reverb, a TubeScreamer and a cable to and from the TubeScreamer for the guest guitar players.

My question is, what really should be provided, or expected from a host to be provided in regards of gear?

As much as I try to provide a welcoming and easy going atmosphere, I'd be tempted one day to just put the amp and one guitar cable there without an OD pedal and see what happens. Maybe everybody would then just play clean all night.

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Ran one for a long time. I provided amp and cable. If someone got up who was out of tune, I'd send em back one spot, tell em to borrow a tuner and give em the next spot. Didn't have to do it very often as everyone caught on.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The few that I've been to have provided amp and cable, but you're free to use your own amp and pedals if you want. I'm kind of surprised they don't provide a tuner. If I were running one I would.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I run one or two a month. I bring two amps, four cables and sometimes a dirt pedal or two. I use pegheqd tuners... If I loan them out, they disappear. So, I never offer them up any more. I'm tired of buying them for other people.

If someone's out of tune, they will probably get heckled, certainly given grief about it when they get off stage... But, for the most part, we all know each other.

I try to get folks to use my amps, but there are two or three folks who have to use their own. I let 'em... Because they all use small, lower wattage amps. Somebody shows up with a Twin or stack... Probably not gonna get to set it up.

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I've been to jams where hosts provided everything (included house guitar or let you use on of their guitars because they know you) and ones where nothing was provided (you had to bring your own amp).

One thing about providing amps, you can keep the volume in check. Like Axis said... last thing you want is a guy showing up with a stack.

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I've run a pretty big jam for 10 years in NJ. 40-50 players, songlist is set in advance and you sign up online. Friends come in from Buffalo to Atlanta for this each year.
    I own the venue, big picnic grounds so the jam is under an 50x120ft open air pavilion. My friends and I team up to provide PA, drums, keys. Players bring their own amps (1x12's, 30 watts max appreciated) and their own guitars and boards.

this vid is from an early jam, before they got big. Amp line looks like the used wall at GC. we all bring out our toys. drummers were from, MD and CT, guitar players from NJ, ?, MD (Geno) and NY (IPLAYLOUD on tele) One shot at the song, no practice and some of the results were pretty amazing over the years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkyFCOFXhQ

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

The most important rule is no harmonicas.

8. standard24

standard24 Member

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I co-ran a small weekly blues jam held at a restaurant for a year. I provided 2 Silverface Princeton Reverb’s and cables, and we didn’t allow anyone to bring their own amp due to space constraints. Guitarists and bassists had to bring their own instrument and pedals, drummers their own sticks. I initially provided tuners, but after several disappeared I stopped doing that. We also provided the PA, drums, an Ampeg B-15 Portaflex bass amp and a Korg keyboard.

10. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I always brought a small amp or two, a DI and guitar cords for them